Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Resort Community Threads & Photo-Video
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #511
HappyGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxazul View Post

I've never decorated an hotel room but after seeing this thread (and all the awesome windows) I think I'd like to do it. Would be fun for DD.

But regarding the lights, if you go to the parks in the morning and come back at night you can't really leave those on, all day, right ? would'nt that be a fire hazard ?

Thanks
I use a timer. It's fun to come back at night and see your window all lit up!

Monica
HappyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #512
roxazul
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGal View Post
I use a timer. It's fun to come back at night and see your window all lit up!
I may seem ignorant but what's a timer
what does it look like ? (is it connected between the plug and the wall outlet) and where can I buy one ?

Thanks

Me DD9
roxazul is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #513
Dittz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxazul View Post
what does it look like ? (is it connected between the plug and the wall outlet) and where can I buy one ?

Thanks
most times it looks like a square block with a plug out one side to plus into a wall, a dial on the opposite and a spot to insert a cable into the side. the dial has numbers representing the current time of day, and the timer time. Typically there is little tabs that you attach to the outer ring of the circle at the time you want items to turn on and off. you then plug it into the wall and your item, in this case the lights into it. set the time of day (turning the dial) and voila. I see you are in Canada... (me too) Canadian tire, Walmart, Target. All these stores would carry them. Especially around Christmas you may find them with the Christmas lights.
here is a picture (I actually have this one). the red tabs turn off and the green turn on in this case.

2010 - Son's 5th Birthday trip to WDW - 1st time staying on site

Dittz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #514
roxazul
Mouseketeer

Thanks ! I feel stupid
I knew something like this existed (and actually saw that in the stores) I just never used that for our christmas lights, I would just turn the lights on in the evening and unplug them before going to sleep.

Now, I will certainly buy a timer so it will serve for our disney vacation and christmas lights

Me DD9
roxazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #515
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGal View Post
My most recent window (Spring Break at Pop)
I love the Mickey-head peace symbols. I liked all your windows, but this one really pops. Wait, that sounds like I'm trying to make a pun. I meant, it's bright and cheerful and fun and brilliantly picks up the resort's theme. Yeah.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #516
Radiorox
Live from the city of Magic.

At POP 70s section now, decorated our window.

Daytime pic:

Nighttime pic:

:-)

Last edited by Radiorox; 09-09-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Radiorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #517
HappyGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiorox View Post

Daytime pic: http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...nt=IMG1303.jpg

Nighttime pic: http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...904_203613.jpg

Love it! How did you hang the lights? Are they just vertical strands? And how many strands did you use? So many questions!

Monica
Old 09-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #518
AuroraRora
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiorox

Daytime pic: http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...nt=IMG1303.jpg

Nighttime pic: http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...904_203613.jpg

Looks epic!!
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:54 AM   #519
Radiorox

It's a rope light I picked up at eBay. I got a 350 light net and it's too big. Waaaay too big! A little more than half is on the floor. Gives the curtain a nice glow though. ;-)

I hung them with command hooks, the smaller, clear ones. 3 on top, two in the middle of each side and two at the bottom to stretch it out. The lights have a button you can hit and go through about 7 patterns. We also put a magnetic white board on our door. We had some fun messages and even one from a cast member. :-)
Old 09-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #520
Nature Mom
I didn't survive Cancer to die of stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
These are awesome!

Nature Mom, I love your Alice theme. That white board is such a good idea! Did you take snapshots of the messages when you got back before you cleaned it for the next day?

I always think about making decorations for the windows but never end up doing anything. I am now really keen to come up with something for ours for our next trip
I think I took a few messages, but a lot of the time I was in such a hurry to get in the room that by the time I thought about going to take a pic of it, my DD had already erased the message and put one of her own. I am going to remember this time to snap it before I ever open the door!

On another note: I think I figured out our window theme for CBR....Beauties and the Beach! I found some cute string lights that are sea shells and some are flip flops that I am going to twist together to form one strand. I have these cute little clay pot craft sets I had picked up at Michael's ages ago that are little Tiki Huts or Pirate skulls. The girls are going to put those together and then I will use the little plastic Princesses (like my Alice characters) to 'hang out' on the window sill around the huts. I'm going to pilfer through any leftover Barbie stuff to see if I can scrounge up a few 'lounge chairs' for the beauties. For the poster board, our theme name with our names, pics of princesses, little drink umbrellas and seashells that I hot glue on. (It is hard to see in my Alice theme, but the poster board there had tiny little teapots and teacups glued on [charms from Oriental Trading that were left over from a birthday party]). I can see it in my head, hope it turns out as cute as I can imagine it. I'll be sure to post pics!

Nature Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:36 AM   #521
Curoly06
Mouseketeer

This thread is great! I love all the neat ideas!! We've stayed on property and admired the decorated windows (and doors!) every time. For the first time, we'll be decorating our own at ASMu next week!! We're all super excited I'll try to post some pics when we get back.

*1985*1986*1987*1992*1994*1996*1998*2000*2005*2006*2007*POP 2008*POP 2009*ASMu Feb 2012**ASM Sept 2012*ASMu Sept 2013
Curoly06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:33 AM   #522
DarlingDuck
Earning My Ears

Along with lights in the window, we have used a metal over-the-door wreath hook, and hung a pretty wreath on the outside of our door. We used a couple twist-ties to secure the wreath to the hook, and it stayed there all week!

Dixie Landings 1999; Animal Kingdom Lodge 2004; Pop Century Family Reunion 2005; Polynesian Extravaganza 2007; Port Orleans FQ 2008; ASMu 2010; Port Orleans Riverside DECEMBER 2013!
DarlingDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #523
HappyGal
DIS Veteran

Is anyone planning Christmas windows?

I picked up some little decorations and string lights. Still have to come up with a theme!

Monica
Old 10-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #524
Radiorox

We're at the Cabins in early December so with all of the space I'm thinking of a theme. I don't want to go.overboard as we're only staying 4 days. :-/
Old 10-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #525
HappyGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiorox View Post

Daytime pic:

Nighttime pic:

I bought strands of lights but the netting is a better idea! Did you hang them in the window or behind the sheer curtain?

Also, does your netting have white wire or green? I've been looking for some with white wire do it "disappears" but can only find green?

Monica

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: