Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Lisann
Mouseketeer

Confused: GFV. Victorian?

After seeing the gorgeous photos of the recent addition to DVC, I'm a little confused.

They don't seem Victorian at all.

The rooms are beautiful. And I'm not complaining. But I thought Victorian was more fussy, and busy, excessive and ornamental. I know it's a beach resort, but it still doesn't seem Victorian in the slightest!

If I would have walked into the room, without knowing where I was, and someone asked me to describe the style of the rooms, Victorian would not have been in the description.

I'm not an interior designer, but the style does not seem to fit.

I've stayed at: Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Yacht Club and Port Orleans Riverside, Dolphin.
Lisann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Nevermind. I need to read in more detail before posting.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
sweetnjmom
Mouseketeer

The exteriors of the Grand Floridian (and I assume the DVC Villas) are quite Victorian in design. And specifically the Victorian beach resorts. Though perhaps late Victorian, and more turn of the century (ie. early 1900s).

Personally I also felt like there was a lot of Art Noveau touches in the resort (and I love that era). I stayed there in 1990 for my parents' 25th anniversary and thought the resort was gorgeous. I've since had afternoon tea there (a later trip) and would love to stay there again. Though it's a tad out of my budget.

Past trips off property: 4/80, 1/81, 6/94 and 5/09
Past trips on property: 8/90 GF, 10/96 CBR, 11/01 ASM, 5/02 POR, 5/06 CSR
sweetnjmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisann View Post
After seeing the gorgeous photos of the recent addition to DVC, I'm a little confused.

The rooms are beautiful. And I'm not complaining. But I thought Victorian was more fussy, and busy, excessive and ornamental. I know it's a beach resort, but it still doesn't seem Victorian in the slightest!

If I would have walked into the room, without knowing where I was, and someone asked me to describe the style of the rooms, Victorian would not have been in the description.

I agree. It doesn't seem Victorian to me either.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisann View Post

I think you have to take the theming of the GF in context with the reality of a huge resort hotel. The resort itself is themed very strongly on the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego. Built in 1888, it is celebrating its 125 anniversary this year. But if you look at photos of the current hotel, you'll see very little evidence of the original furnishings and decorations. It has been modernized to respect its origins without living in the past (and expecting its guests to do likewise).

The Victorian period extended over 60 years, and even within that period styles of furnishings and decor tastes changed. It wasn't all cluttered dark, velvet upholstered furniture, doilies, and flowered wallpaper. Even within the same decades, the 'Victorian look' varied greatly depending on the locale. A Victorian house in London or New York looked a lot different than one in the deep South or way out west.

I think the GF does a good job of giving a classic Victorian 'feel' to the resort, especially in the public areas, without being claustrophobic and too fussy. I mean, where else but in a great Victorian building would you find those fabulous chandeliers or ornate elevators as you do in the lobby?
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #6
Lisann
Mouseketeer

The new Villas are what seem the least Victorian to me. The main lodge is closer to the mark, I think.

Oh well. I'm still stayin' there every chance I get! It's one of my favorite resorts.

I've stayed at: Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Yacht Club and Port Orleans Riverside, Dolphin.
Lisann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
kellylfitz
Mouseketeer

They are definitely different, but I like them a lot more. The GF resort rooms just make me feel like I'm in a grandma's living room. My mom (a grandmother), not surprisingly loves them, but I'm excited for the new look in the villas. At least Disney does a good job giving us lots of variety. I love the rooms at the Poly, but I know others can't stand them.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Here's the funny thing, I've never felt a pull to stay at GF because the room decor really didn't appeal to me. But I fell in love with the villas and bought there! I love the modern interpretation of the Victorian theme. Different strokes, I guess!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: