Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #16
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgasink View Post
Hi, my mom had a stroke 2.5 years ago,she can walk with her quad cane,but we cover long distances with her wheelchair. Our last two trips to WDW we have rented a scooter... If she is in good enough health it opens up a world of possibilities... she can ride it to dinner, or to the theater,or to any of the family game shows and it allows her to conserve energy. She can also take it off the ship ride to the beach/cabana etc.or to the shopping areas in port... I would have her travel with her chair and have the scooter delivered to the ship... You may want to consider buying or doing a long term rental for one now... the ones at the grocery store or Costco are very similar in operation if she wants to try it out... without buying one ahead of time
Just a note if planning an ECV onboard for a cruise...make sure you get an HA stateroom. Most ECVs are too wide to fit through the door of the standard staterooms, and it can be hard to find a spot to park it to recharge (can't get past the bed so it blocks access to the door, closet and bathrooms ). ECVs cannot be left in the hallway because it's too narrow for the hosts' carts and others to get past.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #17
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clara77 View Post
Wow, thank you everyone for such kind words and all the suggestions. I AM stressed, but that has more to do with the fact that I have a newborn while planning all of this! Hahaha. I am still a little confused about a few things but we are getting there!

A few more if anyone feels like answering:

How can I tell which dinner rotation we would want? It is a 7 night cruise - is there a restaurant we would ideally want 3 times in particular? Or one that is best on pirate night (or is that just a deck party)? The animator restaurant seems great, is that the one we would want 3 times?

In the concierge lounge is there a "happy hour" where liquor drinks are complimentary? I know this is totally random but my dad was concierge on royal Caribbean a few years back and this was his favorite concierge perk believe it or not.
They only do the show in AP once (twice with 2 different shows on the Fantasy) so it doesn't really matter. Typically you get each restaurant's own menu once, then you will get a pirate menu, a farewell menu, and a captain's menu that is the same in all three restaurants for that night. It's more about ambiance than the food. I haven't found it to matter which you do on which nights, unless you are planning a Palo or Remy dinner and want to plan around which main dining room to skip.

You can find out the dining rotation by contacting DCL. You won't find out which restaurant you have on which night until you check in at the port. You can always make a request, but it is not guaranteed that you will get what you ask for.

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Princess Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #18
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow, thank you everyone for such kind words and all the suggestions. I AM stressed, but that has more to do with the fact that I have a newborn while planning all of this! Hahaha. I am still a little confused about a few things but we are getting there!

How can I tell which dinner rotation we would want? It is a 7 night cruise - is there a restaurant we would ideally want 3 times in particular? Or one that is best on pirate night (or is that just a deck party)? The animator restaurant seems great, is that the one we would want 3 times?

In the concierge lounge is there a "happy hour" where liquor drinks are complimentary? I know this is totally random but my dad was concierge on royal Caribbean a few years back and this was his favorite concierge perk believe it or not.
We've never requested a specific dining rotation. IMO, it's just not necessary. That said, there are those who prefer a certain MDR for formal night or Pirate night. We've had formal & pirate nights in all the MDRs (on the classic ships). It really doesn't matter. Everyone onboard will dine in all the MDRs and have the same menus during the cruise.

Pirate night does have a deck party. On the Fantasy there is a Pirate show between the dinner seatings (Disney characters - more kid friendly). After the late dinner there is a different Pirate party (more Jack Sparrow type characters) followed by the fireworks.

Sorry, can't answer any questions about Concierge.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #19
shandrananette
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Yes - If I recall it's an hour before dinner, but there may have been more. Not a heavy drinker, but my dad was a huge fan of this perk. You can also get smoothies, I now know, and I can't wait to try that perk out!

shandrananette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #20
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Just like PrincessShmoo, we've never worried about our dinner rotation. There are lots of folks on the DIS who do, but to me it's just not that big of a deal. We schedule Palo when we want, and don't worry about it.

There is a happy hour, you can speak to the concierge to find out when.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #21
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

We just take whichever rotation we get. IMHO it's not worth stressing that much as I'll get to eat in all of the lovely dining rooms anyway!
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #22
clara77
Earning My Ears

OK, so I definitely won't worry about dinner rotation at all then. I asked my mom if she wanted to go to Remy (because she loves French food generally), but the menu I showed her online didn't really get her excited.

We have just gotten her a motorized wheelchair (I think this is the same as a scooter) so we will have to rent one when we get down there, hopefully some company will deliver to the port. She does have a Handicap room, thank goodness we had the foresight to book that when we planned the cruise a year ago...
clara77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: