Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
meg8182000
Mouseketeer

Birthday Celebration Package - Has anyone gotten and what did you think?

I'm going on the Dream in a few weeks and my mom will be celebrating her birthday while onboard. I wanted to do something special for her and saw that Disney offers a new Birthday Celebration Package.

Has anyone here gotten this package before and how was it? Did you think it was worth the price? Has anyone ordered anything else that you think would be nice.

Thanks in advance for any insight and tips.

meg8182000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
emilyann415
DIS Veteran

If this is the same one we did, it came with streamers, a sign, and the celebration cake. It wasn't horrible but there were desserts on the cruise that were SO much better. It was simply nothing special. We then went on a cruise this Aug and ordered the Mickey birthday cake for my DD-7. The cake was choc with a dark choc mousse in it. It was tasty but the ganache they put over it was really gross....rubbery like and very thick. We peeled it away but it made me loose my appetite.
emilyann415 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
meg8182000
Mouseketeer

Thank you for your response & insight.

I believe that this is a new package - here is what it includes:

Birthday Celebration Package
Item 2220

Celebrating a Birthday? Our new Birthday Celebration Package is set up and brings an air of celebratory excitement to the stateroom. Included in this package is an exclusive Disney Cruise Line bed runner, a Happy Birthday Disney character decorated door magnet, a beautifully crafted autographable birthday card and a Happy Birthday banner

I don't know how new it is but it does sound different from what you described. I was also thinking about one of the cakes too so thank you for your description. Thing about the cake though is it is just the two of us traveling so thought it really would just go to waste. Think I'm better off just making sure that they know it's her birthday and maybe they can put a candle in her dessert. Do they do that?

Thanks

Old 09-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
cheribelle
Mouseketeer

Last month on the Dream, our stateroom hostess surprised my husband and daughter with the bed runner. We never even ordered it. She just made a huge "cake" out of towels, gave us the bed runner and a nice note. Really made our day. However, the bed runner is barely made of fabric, kind of flimsy. Would I pay out of pocket for it? No. But it sure was a nice surprise. My kids like it and we will probably hang it up somewhere in our house for their birthday sign.
cheribelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
cheribelle
Mouseketeer

Oh and our waiters brought each of them a soecial birthday dessert in addition to the ones they ordered. I just noted on the reservation it was their birthdays. I never specifically ordered any special desserts.
cheribelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
piglet33
DIS Veteran

We did this on the Dream in 2011 for my DD, but it might be different now. They put a birthday magnet on our door, there was a sign strung across the room, one of those stand up decorations, a card to her from Mickey & the Gang and the cake. She loved it and was so surprised when she walked in our room. The cake was ok, but the experience was worth it. I think it cost around $50.

Here are the pics:

Old 09-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
meg8182000
Mouseketeer

Thank you cheribelle for your response and insight.

piglet33 - thank you for the pictures. I can tell that you got in 2011 does appear to be a different package (looks nice) than what they offer now but think it's really about the surprise of something unexpected that makes it worth it. I think my mom will get a kick out of it so I'm going for it.

Thank you for all the help.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
Gilland18
DIS Veteran

My sister and I ordered the Birthday Celebration package for our mom in August this year. As you discovered, it is a little different from previous years. There is no cake or sparkly centerpiece. It has a Happy Birthday "banner" of the letters strung across the room. The bed runner is actually kind of nice and bigger than I expected. There was a magnet and a card. They all had the same grouping of the Fab Five. It is insanely expensive but Mom really enjoyed it. I was happy with what came and with Mom's response.

Kim

WDW 1984, Polynesian/Wonder 2003, Pop Century 2006,
Wonder Alaska 2011, Wonder EBPC 2012, Magic WBTA 2014
Gilland18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
junbug
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilland18 View Post
My sister and I ordered the Birthday Celebration package for our mom in August this year. As you discovered, it is a little different from previous years. There is no cake or sparkly centerpiece. It has a Happy Birthday "banner" of the letters strung across the room. The bed runner is actually kind of nice and bigger than I expected. There was a magnet and a card. They all had the same grouping of the Fab Five. It is insanely expensive but Mom really enjoyed it. I was happy with what came and with Mom's response.
What is the bed runner made of? Fabric, like a blanket?
junbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

we ordered it last summer on the Fantasy. My son was thrilled when he walked in and saw the decorations.

we all enjoyed the cake too. ( its even better chilled.)

I know it was a little expensive, but I would order it again.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
Gilland18
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by junbug View Post
What is the bed runner made of? Fabric, like a blanket?
It was made of that "fabric" that is made from plastic, if that makes any sense. It isn't a sheet of plastic but it's not like a blanket. It is soft and textured like it's woven but fairly thin. I think it is at least a foot wide and easily long enough to go all the way across the bed.

Kim

Old 09-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
black magic
Earning My Ears

When we cruised this last July we did not get the room package, but did order the Mickey cake to be served at dinner. We did, however, bring our own decorations for my son (Monsters U.) and decorated the room while he slept. Our stateroom host also made the towel cake that evening. Overall, it was a big hit with my son.

Just remember if you decorate yourself, you have to use magnets(we bought packs at the $1 store) to hold the items up... no tape or sticky stuff. Also, the walls and ceiling are both metal, so no issues with placement.
black magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #13
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by black magic View Post
When we cruised this last July we did not get the room package, but did order the Mickey cake to be served at dinner. We did, however, bring our own decorations for my son (Monsters U.) and decorated the room while he slept. Our stateroom host also made the towel cake that evening. Overall, it was a big hit with my son.

Just remember if you decorate yourself, you have to use magnets(we bought packs at the $1 store) to hold the items up... no tape or sticky stuff. Also, the walls and ceiling are both metal, so no issues with placement.
This is good to know! My DD will be celebrating her 5th birthday on our cruise in February. I may order the package or take our own decorations. Still deciding.

For those who did order the package, was the room decorated the day your boarded on on the actual birthday? We board on a Saturday but my DD's birthday isn't until the Thursday and I would love to surprise her when she wakes up the morning of her birthday.

Amazing Trips with DD: Nov 2014 (MVMCP with Nana & Papa), Sep 2014 (10 days with Cousins), Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #14
Gilland18
DIS Veteran

In our case it was done before they entered the cabin the first time on day one.

Kim

Old 10-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #15
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinginontario View Post
This is good to know! My DD will be celebrating her 5th birthday on our cruise in February. I may order the package or take our own decorations. Still deciding. For those who did order the package, was the room decorated the day your boarded on on the actual birthday? We board on a Saturday but my DD's birthday isn't until the Thursday and I would love to surprise her when she wakes up the morning of her birthday.
The stateroom host puts up the decorations before you board.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: