Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #3196
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
We got our magic bands today!!! I called and requested Tokelau (our favorite ) too. I have tried calling each day since last Friday but they have had 'magical enhancements' each time I called. I don't mind calling back but it is SUCH A PAIN to talk to that automated system that has no idea what I'm saying. And I ENUNCIATE Oh well, request in!!

I was JUST thinking today that I would be interested in buying DVC but ONLY at the Poly. OH DH is going to be so mad at me
Just a heads up Tinkerbellie, Tikiman had pictures on his FB page of construction erosion barriers that have gone up. People who are currently on site have said that they "wrap almost entirely around the back of Tokelau" (likely because of its proximity to Tahiti & Rapa Nui) You might want to keep an eye on the construction updates for reports of actual construction walls going up in these same areas (nothing yet, but probably coming, just not sure when). You probably don't want a lovely view of that!

BTW, I know your pain with talking to the darned automated system. It NEVER gets our last name right - always have to go through the annoyance of several attempts before it lets me just speak to a CM!

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 GF
Old 09-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #3197
Pirate Mickey mom
Earning My Ears

Unhappy

All this talk about construction at the volcano pool and GCH in January is making me nervous. One or the other would be okay, but not both.
Do you really think they would close both at the same time? I considered changing our reservation but the Poly is our home away from home. Thinking about staying somewhere else makes me sad...

1998 offsite, Jan 2010 CB, Nov 2010 POR, Mar 2011 Swan, Jan 2012 AKL Kidani Village/Disney Dream/CB, Jan 2013 Poly/Disney Fantasy, Jan 2014 Poly, January 2015 POR/Disney Dream
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #3198
WendyisDarling
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Mickey mom View Post
All this talk about construction at the volcano pool and GCH in January is making me nervous. One or the other would be okay, but not both.
Do you really think they would close both at the same time? I considered changing our reservation but the Poly is our home away from home. Thinking about staying somewhere else makes me sad...
I'm right there with you. Thought long and hard last night about switching, but just can't imagine not staying at our beloved Poly. Our trip is mid-January .

Last edited by WendyisDarling; 09-17-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #3199
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Mickey mom View Post
I feel your pain.

I've finally, with some reluctance, thrown in the towel and cancelled my Poly ressie for May of 2014 (switched to CR garden wing).

Just got tired of stressing about how bad the construction might be during our stay (even though I knew it was coming, the offical DVC announcement today didn't help matters).

Still hoping 'Ohana and Kona will be open during our stay as I'm planning ADRs at both (at least this will give us somewhat of a Poly fix).

Finances permitting, we'll probably aim to shoot for a stay in the Poly in 2016 when everything is finished.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #3200
WendyisDarling
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post

Finances permitting, we'll probably aim to shoot for a stay in the Poly in 2016 when everything is finished.
I'm telling myself the same. Hope for the best this trip knowing how nice the improvements will be for a future stay
Old 09-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #3201
karriealex
When I am at the Polynesian I am home!

I am not trying to be a smart tush or anything believe me but was there this much uproar with switching resorts etc.. when DVC went into CR and GF or is it that the Poly has much more of a special reverence to it? I wasn't on the DIS when that was happening so I honestly don't know.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #3202
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
I feel your pain.

I've finally, with some reluctance, thrown in the towel and cancelled my Poly ressie for May of 2014 (switched to CR garden wing).

Just got tired of stressing about how bad the construction might be during our stay (even though I knew it was coming, the offical DVC announcement today didn't help matters).

Still hoping 'Ohana and Kona will be open during our stay as I'm planning ADRs at both (at least this will give us somewhat of a Poly fix).

That's our plan....Poly 2016

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 09-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #3203
jenluvs2go2disney
Mouseketeer

At the Poly now. We are having a great time. Our first time staying club level. We haven't noticed much with the construction, just a silt fence going up. The volcano pool was closed tonight when we got back from the MK. Someone had an accident in it, so the kids were disappointed that they couldn't go on the slide.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #3204
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karriealex View Post
I am not trying to be a smart tush or anything believe me but was there this much uproar with switching resorts etc.. when DVC went into CR and GF or is it that the Poly has much more of a special reverence to it? I wasn't on the DIS when that was happening so I honestly don't know.
I haven't hung out in the CR or GF threads, so I don't know. I think the difference here is that while the DVC construction is going on TPTB have decided to simultaneously do a major overhaul of both the GCH and the main pool. Once construction was underway at BLT, I doubt it had a lot of affect on the main CR building. The GF's construction was also somewhat separated from the rest of the resort. They did do some work on the main pool during the DVC construction there, but I don't think there was anything done to the main building. With the Poly if everything happens according to the rumoured schedule, a big chunk of the beach, along with one of the biggest/most popular longhouses will be closed, while major work is also happening on the GCH and the main pool. That's a lot of disruption for a resort.

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 GF
Old 09-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #3205
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karriealex View Post
I don't know about CR, but I do know that yes there was quite an uproar on the GF thread when DVC started. Just like with the Poly, when DVC started at GF they also did some major rehabs. Off the top of my head, Gaspirilla's, the health club, spa and both pools had work done on them. The pools were closed one at a time.

ETA

Here is the list of everything that was done at the GF while DVC was going on. And people were not happy at all about all of this.

**Beach Pool currently closed for refurb, May 30 through June 1, 2013. The slide will be closed May 27 through June 1. Pool and slide to be reopened on June 2, 2013.**

The Courtyard pool has been recently re-opened after an extensive renovation, including adding zero entry. Link to new photos.

**Mouseketeer Club has been renovated as the new arcade room in Gasparilla's.

The following list of GF locations have been recently closed for refurbishments:
Mizner's Lounge, used as a quick service option during the Gasparillas refurb, has resumed operations as a lounge as of December 21st
Sandy Cove Merchandise: Closed through November 17, 2012**NOW Open!!
Ivy Trellis Salon: October 20 to December 3, 2012**NOW Open!!
Gasparilla Grill & Games: Closed through mid December, 2012**Now Open!!
Courtyard Pool: Closed through late December 2012NOW OPEN as of March 30, 2013!!
Grand Floridian Spa and Health Club: NOW Open!! All WDW spas will be under Disney management starting January 16, 2013 as "Senses - A Disney Spa".
Alice in Wonderland Splash Zone **OPENED as of Sept. 19, 2012**

Beach Pool Bar & Grill: **RE-OPENED as of Sept. 17, closed again May 30, 2013 for renovation. Scheduled to reopen June 2, 2013.**
Old 09-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #3206
Minnie7
Earning My Ears

Oh gosh... was hoping we could stay next year before construction started, but it's a little too late for that . Now I'm just sort of hoping that construction won't be terrible when we go.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #3207
karriealex
When I am at the Polynesian I am home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
I don't know about CR, but I do know that yes there was quite an uproar on the GF thread when DVC started. Just like with the Poly, when DVC started at GF they also did some major rehabs. Off the top of my head, Gaspirilla's, the health club, spa and both pools had work done on them. The pools were closed one at a time.

ETA

Here is the list of everything that was done at the GF while DVC was going on. And people were not happy at all about all of this.

**Beach Pool currently closed for refurb, May 30 through June 1, 2013. The slide will be closed May 27 through June 1. Pool and slide to be reopened on June 2, 2013.**

The Courtyard pool has been recently re-opened after an extensive renovation, including adding zero entry. Link to new photos.

**Mouseketeer Club has been renovated as the new arcade room in Gasparilla's.

The following list of GF locations have been recently closed for refurbishments:
Mizner's Lounge, used as a quick service option during the Gasparillas refurb, has resumed operations as a lounge as of December 21st
Sandy Cove Merchandise: Closed through November 17, 2012**NOW Open!!
Ivy Trellis Salon: October 20 to December 3, 2012**NOW Open!!
Gasparilla Grill & Games: Closed through mid December, 2012**Now Open!!
Courtyard Pool: Closed through late December 2012NOW OPEN as of March 30, 2013!!
Grand Floridian Spa and Health Club: NOW Open!! All WDW spas will be under Disney management starting January 16, 2013 as "Senses - A Disney Spa".
Alice in Wonderland Splash Zone **OPENED as of Sept. 19, 2012**

Beach Pool Bar & Grill: **RE-OPENED as of Sept. 17, closed again May 30, 2013 for renovation. Scheduled to reopen June 2, 2013.**
Thank you. I was just wondering since I wasn't visiting the DIS during that time. I understand the upset but wan't sure if it was just because it was the Poly or if it had also happened at one or both of the other monorail resorts.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #3208
Princess_Au
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Au View Post
I did an online check-in for the first time. Will I be able to talk to the cast member and have them search for other available rooms, if I don’t get our requested longhouse? I realize a request is not guaranteed, but I am hoping they can give me other options, if I’m not happy with our assigned room.
Does anyone know the answer to my question? TIA!
Old 09-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #3209
kellylfitz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Au View Post
Does anyone know the answer to my question? TIA!
If you have a specific issue (like you would prefer a patio or want to be closer to the GCH), they will try to accommodate you if they can.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #3210
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

When we checked in back in June I had requested Samoa or Tokelau, no other requests. The CM tried to put us in a parking lot view in Raratonga. I asked if Tokelau was available and lo and behold, we were given a garden view room in Tokelau. I'm not convinced that the online check in (which has been on the fritz since I booked Sunday) is a crock. I've found that at all Disney resorts, if you ask nicely the CMs will try to accommodate your requests if they're not too ridiculous.
offsite'71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,C R'03,WL'04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05 ,YC'06,PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14),Swan (11/14)

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: