Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
mmouse1239
Mouseketeer

June 2015 - Rent DVC points or do PORFQ??

I need some advice...In June of 2015 my husband and I are treating our children and grandchildren to a weeklong DW vacation. (It will take us that long to save using gift cards for Christmas, etc.) We have to go in June to accommodate the three of us who are teachers. We are also taking my son-in-law's mother with us. We will have two rooms - one with four adults and one with three adults, my 3year old grandson and a 1 year old (sex yet to be determined....due in 7 months Anyway, I priced this out. Rack rate makes the DVC point rental almost a thousand dollars cheaper using rates on the Disney website and renting points from a friend(2 studios) I'm not figuring too much of a discount on rates at that time according to historical information. We love Port Orleans and stay there when we don't rent DVC. Love the convenience of the boardwalk...can you get standard view at the seven month window since our friend's home resort is SSR. Don't really want to stay there. If not BW, what might be available in June at the 7 month window??? I need suggestions here so that I can consider all options. Thanks so much, in advance.
mmouse1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse1239 View Post
I need some advice...In June of 2015 my husband and I are treating our children and grandchildren to a weeklong DW vacation. (It will take us that long to save using gift cards for Christmas, etc.) We have to go in June to accommodate the three of us who are teachers. We are also taking my son-in-law's mother with us. We will have two rooms - one with four adults and one with three adults, my 3year old grandson and a 1 year old (sex yet to be determined....due in 7 months Anyway, I priced this out. Rack rate makes the DVC point rental almost a thousand dollars cheaper using rates on the Disney website and renting points from a friend(2 studios) I'm not figuring too much of a discount on rates at that time according to historical information. We love Port Orleans and stay there when we don't rent DVC. Love the convenience of the boardwalk...can you get standard view at the seven month window since our friend's home resort is SSR. Don't really want to stay there. If not BW, what might be available in June at the 7 month window??? I need suggestions here so that I can consider all options. Thanks so much, in advance.
You can't get a standard view at BWV at seven months out. You could probably get OKW, SSR or AKV (standard or savanna). Plus two studios will never connect and might be a distance from each other.

You know that a DVC member won't take a Disney gift card as payment for a DVC rental, right? You can use a Disney gift card to pay for your dining plan should you decide to add it to your reservation though.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess

Historically I have gotten AKL, OKW both easily at 7 month window. I use to love to rent DVC points but I am much more into renting from Disney lately. I prefer housekeeping every day (yes you can pay to have towels refurbished daily) but it doesn't feel much like a vacation coming home to a messy room. We always rent a night or two and then check into YC for a week. I have stayed at POFQ and enjoyed it. If I had to spend a week somewhere it would be POFQ over renting points....unless place was freshly rehabbed etc. but some of the dvc properties show their wear and tear quicker and for longer than say a regular Disney property....

scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
mmouse1239
Mouseketeer

Yeah, I realize that I can't use gift cards for renting DVC. I was planning to use them for meals, tickets, etc. Should I decide on PORFQ, then I could use them for the package as well. Can anyone tell me if there are refrigerators in POR? I knew that there didn't used to be, then there were. Not sure where about now. As for the studio/separation issue, I never thought of that. Whenever we rented two studios we did it at BWV and Beach Club. Both times we were close together. I guess the possibility of being separated exists...that would be awful. My main reason to go on this trip is to be with my grandchildren. I would love to get a two bedroom, but I'm pretty sure I can't swing that.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Texas Barbie
Mouseketeer

Yes there are refrigerators.
Texas Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #6
Disneyhenry
DIS Veteran

Maybe look into renting points for OKW, SS or AKL where they are a bit cheaper and maybe you can get a 2 bedroom? I think you have some great ideas, POFQ would be nice too, boat ride to DTD and a smaller sized resort, they offer queen beds too
sounds fun,

DH DSME

Disneyland 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008,2007, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1994
WDW Split stay AKV-Kinadi and POP 2011
DCL - DREAM 2011, Wonder to Hawaii 2012
Dec 2013 Family Reunion at WL!
Disneyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

DVC wise, OKW studios are the biggest ones out there and for a family of your size, I'd suggest them first. My OKW studio had two queen (I think) beds, not a queen and a pull out like other studios.

Otherwise, you'll have two adults sleeping on a pull out in one room, and one adult and child sleeping on a pull out in the other room!

Don't forget that if you rent points, the chances are that your rental is 100% NONREFUNDABLE, so you'd better have those dates locked down tight and be ok with losing 100% of your money if you can't go for some reason. At least with Disney, there are cancellations available, and you can usually move your deposit to a later vacation if something big comes up within the 45 day cancellation fee period (though officially they state there's a $200 cancellation fee on packages, I've heard of quite a few people getting the money they paid "moved" to a later reservation instead of being charged the fee).

If you're wanting to spend a lot of time with the grandchildren, then you might want to look into renting a big vacation home so that everyone is in the same house. It's not on Disney property, but it will give you th e space and family time you're craving.
ZehnJahren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
mmouse1239
Mouseketeer

I would be renting points from a friend, so I could probably make changes if needed within the limits. As for renting an off property home, I did consider that. However, being past DVC members ourselves, my kids are so used to staying onsite, I'm not sure they would enjoy the off site lodging as much. I could probably do a two bedroom if I cut the trip to 6 nights instead of 7. I believe my friend would then have enough points to accommodate me. If I do a two bedroom, I would probably go with the OKW one because of the extra space. I would consider a BWV 2 bedroom, but doubt I could get a standard view at the 7month window.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
cheesemouse
DIS Veteran

I would definitely cut the trip to 6 days and get a 2BR at whatever resort had availability. We stayed in a 2BR at BLT and it was awesome. So much space to relax and for the adults to visit with each other while the kids were in bed.
cheesemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

For that many people you would be better off getting a 2 bedroom. You will have more bathrooms and more comfortable sleeping arrangements. I could not imagine sleeping on a pull out for a week. Plus you have to open up the couch every night and that limits space in the room. You will be tripping over one another.

With a two bedroom you will get a full kitchen and be able to gather together in the living room.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly F - Ohio View Post
For that many people you would be better off getting a 2 bedroom. You will have more bathrooms and more comfortable sleeping arrangements. I could not imagine sleeping on a pull out for a week. Plus you have to open up the couch every night and that limits space in the room. You will be tripping over one another.

With a two bedroom you will get a full kitchen and be able to gather together in the living room.
Most 2BR DVC units only have 2 bathrooms. Only AKV-Kidani & BLT have 3rd bathroom.

Many 2BR DVC units only have 2 real beds. Only OKW or dedicated 2BR elsewhere have 2 real beds in 2nd BR. BWV don't have any dedicated 2BRs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: