Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #31
DanInMN
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatedillusions View Post
someone said that it is a bit odd coming to a 'childs' place by yourself
Wow! That is very rude. My wife and I are going in a week with no kids (our kids are grown, and we have no exchange students this year). Disney is for the young at heart!
Old 09-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #32
Disney Diva Mom
Mouseketeer

Wow! Away for a couple hours and the new thread already has 3 pages!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #33
WyoMickey
Earning My Ears

Hi All,

I am here, I am here, I am here.................. to quote the Who's down in Whoville.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #34
sibesx2
Earning My Ears

We just returned from an 8 night stay at POR. We received all of our requests - ground floor in AB and we were upgraded to preferred building 15. Our room had a working fridge (worked too well, our milk froze solid!). We had no major problems with Magic Bands. The mugs however were a pain. I found that sometimes they worked and sometimes you had to try different stations to find one that worked. I asked a worker about the water wheel and was told that they would finish work today and hopefully it would be up and running Wed.

The resort is beautiful and I loved sitting out at night and early in the morning. Busses were usually quick other than Friday evening when it took hours to get just about anywhere due to the Villains party. All and all we had a great trip!
Old 09-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #35
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Oh no, I'm a cissy!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #36
lazer
DIS Veteran

Also, if you get there and don't have a fridge and need one...ask! I have a needy one year old and asked the probability of us having one for any of our stay, so I could figure out a plan. She said she'd put us on a list and 20 minutes later there was a knock at the door...fridge delivery!

Also, busses back from downtown have been awful due to construction. Took us 63 minutes the other day (I couldn't stop looking at the clock).

The CMs at the front desk have been amazing. We saw a few people with magic band sliders that say 2013 and glow in the dark. We asked at the desk and the awesome CM apologized profusely and have us each one.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #37
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink52937 View Post
We are DVC members who ran out of points for 2013. Is this hotel OKW or SSR big?

Thanks for any input.
Traci
I've only been there once and we were in Royal Rooms, so we didn't see it all, but I'm going to say it's not as big as either of those.

We ran out of points, and can't do anything at DVC (beyond 3 days booked in January) unless we want to borrow from 2015!

Quote:
The reaction which was the worse was when someone said that it is a bit odd coming to a 'childs' place by yourself and someone else told me when at the gate of the part was I alright in the head as I told them I prefer to visit parks by myself. It just threw me.
That's terrible. I hate when fellow guests say rotten things. Happened to DH once in Anaheim and it still makes him sad.

I am now thinking of not requesting an area. We have a standard room booked, and I already requested corner room. I was thinking I wanted to request the non-Royal Mansions, but then I started wondering if it might be fun to stay in the Bayou. There are just 3 of us and we booked a 2 Queen room (or at least we did not book a King room), so we could really end up in any non-royal, non-preferred area...

Anyone care to sell me on a room either way?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #38
kaylasmom07
Mouseketeer

Wow part three! Riverside guests must be a chatty bunch

I'm glad this thread exists and is full of so many helpful people. Can't wait to stay there in just 58 days... 58!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #39
1000HappyWishes
I know every mile will be my worth my while.

I've got to wait 208 days until I see this resort for the first time. It won't be my first on-site stay, but it will be the first one I remember!

WDW: 2001, 2003, 2013
Disneyland: 2007
Universal: 2013
Old 09-16-2013, 03:37 AM   #40
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000HappyWishes View Post
Yay, a new thread! Maybe this one I can keep up with!
Sadly that seems unlikely, we're on page three already and I only started the thread a few hours ago! Wowser...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
I do have a question about the headboards. Is there a button you push to make the headboards light up?
Yes, there's a button on the side of each Royal Room headboard. The lights run for about 30 seconds and then turn off again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink52937 View Post
I am staying at POR for the first time in 51 days!! My traveling party is 5 people. Is it safe to assume I will be in AB? Also my flight doesn't land until 7 pm so I am thinking any chance of getting a room request that late at night is zero (maybe I am wrong?)

If I have the furthest building out, how long of a walk is it to the mail building?
We often arrive at 6-7pm (flying indirect from the UK) and unless the resort is at 100% capacity there's usually some wriggle-room in terms of room options. But better still would be to fax in a request about 3-5 days before you arrive, mentioning your later arrival time and concerns about room availability. See the first post, or www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php, for details.

And even the furthest possible rooms are only about 500 yards away from the food court (see www.portorleans.org/faqs.php#Size).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
The water wheel is getting a nice new paint job, looks great! Hope it will be rolling before we leave

Villains Night was not well planned, dear friends of ours were stuck for five hours going bw three buses and never made it back to HS...it took us almost two and a half hours to get to Riverside...took the POFQ bus planning to walk over...our bus driver felt so sorry for the five or so families that she drove us on to POR...cheers erupted, we were so touched by her kindness...not a fun way to spend your birthday but the earlier part of the day was nice!
The water wheel should be up and running again very soon (maybe even today?).

I think Disney was caught on the hop a bit with the Villains night, they had a lot more guests at the Studios than even they expected, and many people stayed right to the end at 13pm too. They do have enough buses to divert there, but I'm guessing suddenly getting extra drivers in once they realised there was going to be a problem at midnight+ might have been a problem.

Quote:
So I went to Magic Kingdom today but I didn't have the most magical time. Some of the guests being shocked being by myself and the things they said to me.
That is really awful, and so rude! I regularly go to the parks on my own, either because the girls have gone off on (another!) shopping trip or because I tend to keep going later in the evening than they do.

I've have NEVER in 20+ years had anyone criticise me for being there on my own. To be honest (and I'm sorry family!) some of my favourite times at the parks have been later in the evening on my own. I can do what I want, when I want, stopping where & when I want, just soaking up the atmosphere and enjoying the peace and quiet. With a group in tow, there's always someone who needs a toilet break, or a drink, or snack, or wants to pop into a shop, etc.

So if I were you, I would just feel very sorry for them trying to keep everyone happy at once, and enjoy myself! It's their loss, not yours!

(Either that or wind up these inconsiderate people by saying that you are there to remember your beloved family who recently passed away in tragic circumstances and you are fulfilling their last request by going on this trip for them, and watch their faces)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDDisney View Post
I'm nervous about the fridge. What do you mean they would only give refund if it was a medical necessity?
Medical necessities ARE being met, they are even moving fridges around the resort to make sure that happens. But you would be best letting them know in advance to make the planning easier. The $15/night credit is a discretionary thing being done as a Guest Service Recovery procedure for people who have pre-requested a fridge (for non-medical reasons) but not got one.

It's not something anyone is entitled to, but they do seem to be doing it quite often. I guess they want it to be as a goodwill gesture for people who are genuinely upset about the lack of a fridge, rather than just because someone has read on the internet that there's an extra discount going - but as it's an exceptional thing rather than a general policy, I guess it could be applied a little unevenly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipcrew4 View Post
We here now. Can anyone tell me where the marshmallow roast is located and how late it runs? Thanks!
It's on Ol' Man Island, just next to the Pool Bar and the children's playground. The start time is usually around dusk (see monthly schedules) and it runs for about 90 minutes (until the outdoor movie time anyway). Not sure if the POR one is still closed for maintenance work though, they were ferrying people over to the POFQ campfire a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal View Post
Oh no, I'm a cissy!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't worry, we'll let you off - I'm sure there are still some stragglers on their way over...

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 09-16-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:06 AM   #41
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I am now thinking of not requesting an area. We have a standard room booked, and I already requested corner room.
Sometimes it's nice to get a surprise if your mind is not set on anything in particular - maybe just add a simple request for a "pleasant view", or add "reasonably close to main buildings" if you wish, and see what happens?

Andre

Last edited by andrewilley; 09-16-2013 at 04:13 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #42
HiMagicFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So in relation to sunset, it is just before half 7 Hopefully the person looking to know is on this thread.

So I went to Magic Kingdom today but I didn't have the most magical time. Some of the guests being shocked being by myself and the things they said to me.

And not getting burned as I used a 50 factor suncream!!!:
Thank u! Just seeing if i will acclimate tome zones and planning for runs in anticipation of the TOT.

Well thats just not nice - maybe u went because everyone else went to another park, our group has done things like this - one mom goes to one park, the dads went to another and the other moms and aunties with kids went to another.

Glad it didn't ruin things for u - not bringing 50 but was gonna bring 15 ... Hmm maybe i should go higher.

Last edited by HiMagicFan; 09-16-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #43
Katelly
Mouseketeer

Enjoying this new thread.....still trying to catch up on the other ones! Our first stay at POR will be in two months and I'm really looking forward to it. The more I read about POR, the more excited I get. I think I made a good choice!

Beach Club: December of 1991,1994,1997,1999 and 2002
Caribbean Beach: December 2004,February 2006
Pop Century: February 2006
POR: December 2013
POFQ: April 2014
Old 09-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #44
mtfarlin
Mouseketeer

Just 16 more days till we arive at POR!!!!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #45
gipcrew4
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post

It's on Ol' Man Island, just next to the Pool Bar and the children's playground. The start time is usually around dusk (see monthly schedules) and it runs for about 90 minutes (until the outdoor movie time anyway). Not sure if the POR one is still closed for maintenance work though, they were ferrying people over to the POFQ campfire a few weeks ago.

Andre
Thanks! That's what's going on. There's a construction wall up!

Another question, last night we ended up going to FQ for dinner (QS), and it was delicious btw! anyway, we ran into trouble getting back. It was after nine when we finished and all the buses kept saying they were done for the night and try the next one. Is there a designated bus that runs TO RS after FQ?

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: