Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #31
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths02 View Post

Many people take vacations that are all about sitting and eating (cruises, all inclusives, etc.). Don't most people like to eat out once a day while on vacation?

When I was a first time visitor, we still wanted to sit and eat at fun or nice places (we ate at Crystal Palace, Boma, and Sci Fi).

I would want to sit around a restaurant if I wanted my kids to eat with Mickey, etc.
I want to eat out occasionally on holiday as a treat but we hate eating out every day it takes the special feeling out of going out for dinner and makes us feel sick of the sight of food so we don't enjoy any. We tend to eat out 3 or 4 times a week max on holiday and even the that can be too much.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #32
MomtoEmIs&Ow
DIS Veteran

Can't really say I agree or disagree 100%.
There are somethings in the article that could be true for some families and not true for others. I will agree that he does not seem to have all his 'facts' right. And the whole thing is based on so many personally preferences....
We have happily used the dining plan 3x ..... each time it was free mind you..... didn't cost me anything extra cause I was gonna stay on-site anyway.

MomtoEmIs&Ow is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #33
John's Mom
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
AKL Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I won't even get the plan for free. To get it free I have to buy a rack rate package at a Disney resort with at least 2 night tickets. I have DVC and an annual pass. Not worth it.
Did you know that you could save the 2 park tickets and use them for a credit on your next annual pass renewal?

John's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #34
sandhya
Earning My Ears

JENSOP, you said you bought your DDP with DVC. Is there a discount if we buy with DVC.
sandhya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #35
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Well hopefully lots of people will stop paying for it and Disney will lower the price.

No trips planned for now but fingers crossed for DCL in 2015.
darnheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #36
mom2my3kids
Doesn't believe in the Tag Fairy

I agree

Dec 14-20th 2013
Daytona/Universal/MNSSHP Sept 2011
Sept 2009 8 nights Pop Century
Sept 22nd-Sept 30th 2007 POP
October 2006, OKW,POP 6 night trip..
mom2my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #37
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoEmIs&Ow View Post
Can't really say I agree or disagree 100%.
There are somethings in the article that could be true for some families and not true for others. I will agree that he does not seem to have all his 'facts' right. And the whole thing is based on so many personally preferences....
We have happily used the dining plan 3x ..... each time it was free mind you..... didn't cost me anything extra cause I was gonna stay on-site anyway.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #38
carol58
Earning My Ears

I agree. This used to be a good deal, but not anymore at least for my family. I did like the fact that everything was paid for before we left, though. So what I am doing when I go in November is I have bought disney gift cards to use for our meals
carol58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #39
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John's Mom View Post
Did you know that you could save the 2 park tickets and use them for a credit on your next annual pass renewal?
Yes and it is still not worth it. No need for me to allow Disney to hold that money just to get a dining plan. I'd still have to pay rack rate for the room when I have rooms already paid for through DVC.

Quote:
JENSOP, you said you bought your DDP with DVC. Is there a discount if we buy with DVC.
No discounts on the dining plans through DVC.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #40
skatalite
Anybody interested in grabbing a couple of burgers and hittin' the cemetery?

My wife and I have done the dining plan once, and we won't do it again.

We've written up a budget plan for our next WDW trip, and we expect to spend $1,100 on food/alcohol/snacks/tax/tips, over the course of nine nights. This includes 12 table service meals (three of which are signatures), and seven quick service meals.

The cost for the basic dining plan is $1,055, before alcohol and tip. Plus, it'd only yield nine QS and nine TS credits, which wouldn't allow us to eat at the places we want to eat. So, it's clear where the better deal is.
skatalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #41
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol58 View Post
I agree. This used to be a good deal, but not anymore at least for my family. I did like the fact that everything was paid for before we left, though. So what I am doing when I go in November is I have bought disney gift cards to use for our meals
The only reason I don't like using gift cards is then you have to keep track of every meal, and every treat that you buy. Or you have to keep calling to check your card balance. I even tried using gift cards to pay for tips the last time I was on the dining plan, and it confused a couple of my waiters.

I guess I am lucky but I ran the numbers for my trip coming up in December, and the free dining came out the better deal, even when compared to a room only discount. But that is not always the case and it really does pay to run the numbers each and every time.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #42
NHTikiBeckie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
The only reason I don't like using gift cards is then you have to keep track of every meal, and every treat that you buy. Or you have to keep calling to check your card balance. I even tried using gift cards to pay for tips the last time I was on the dining plan, and it confused a couple of my waiters.

I guess I am lucky but I ran the numbers for my trip coming up in December, and the free dining came out the better deal, even when compared to a room only discount. But that is not always the case and it really does pay to run the numbers each and every time.
We just charge meals to the room and have the front desk apply the cards because it was easier.

Disney World videos I made!

http://vimeo.com/7316001 (MGM & Animal Kingdom)

http://vimeo.com/7315073 (Epcot)

http://vimeo.com/7316111 (Magic Kingdom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjHXWMp1uhI (Christmas and Fun outside the parks)
NHTikiBeckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #43
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

We usually get free dining....except for this past trip (Aug.25-30) since there was no free dining. So we paid OOP for our meals for that trip, first time for that length of time. I have to say, if I can help it, I will never pay OOP again. I'd much rather do the DP. We must eat like beasts because the DP does save us money!!! The bonus is the peace of mind that meals are paid for. We do eat one TS for each day....we tend to order the most exp entree...and we do have dessert with our meals (we dont like apps). So there you go, for us, it makes sense.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #44
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

DDP doesn't work for us and I think it's very expensive. We do at least 2 and often 3 table service meals a day. We rarely, if ever, have a quick service meal and we don't eat many snacks. Moreover, we like to take a couple of our vacation days and head over to Universal. And, dh and I often split entrees or we just order a variety of appetizers and then move on to dessert. I guess the deluxe plan might work somewhat better for us, except we would likely waste credits on the days we spend at Universal.

Overall, we have found TIW to work better for us. As for free dining, we stay at deluxe resorts and the AP discount of 35% off is a considerably better value for us than free dining.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #45
Dis703
DIS Veteran

I agree with most of it. We did the calculations and its definitely a more expensive way to eat for us. It also can be a waste. We had it free once and it let us splurge a bit and eat places we normally wouldn't. But I ended up sick and we canceled a meal and then we scrambled to use all of our meals and snacks and couldn't. It was annoying but since it was free dining it wasn't a huge deal. If we'd paid for it though I would have been pretty upset.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ddp, dining plan, frommer, frommer's

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: