Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Terk-1
Cinderella's Castle is My 2nd Home!! Only 1,302.5 miles from the Magic Kingdom!

Question Pop - Preferred or Standard?

I had to change my upcoming solo trip to Pop and am wondering if I should go with a standard or preferred room. When I called Pop, the CM said there are "not specific buildings for preferred (like at the All Stars), but rather if the room faces the pool that is considered a preferred room."

I would like to be close to the main building for security reasons and would rather face into the courtyards (more well lit) rather than behind the buildings. Should I pay the extra $$ for the preferred or just go with the standard and hope my requests can be done?
80,82,85,88,90,93,94, 96 - ASMu, 97-98 - DxL, 99 - POFQ & BC, 00 - WL & POFQ, 01 - ASMo, 02 - Poly, 03 - CBR & WL, 04 -Pop, 05 - GC @ DL, 06 - POFQ, 07 - San Diego, 08 - San Diego (twice), 09 - Sports, 11 - Port Orleans French Quarter, 12 - Yellowstone & Grand Tetons
October 2013 - First Disney Cruise!!!! Western Caribbean on the Wonder
November-December 2013 - Art of Animation & Pop Century

November-December 2014 - Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy!!

Pictures & Video from November 2011 Trip! More to upload.

http://community.webshots.com/user/wdwfan6
Terk-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
MinnieKitty
Mouseketeer

We paid for preferred but asked to be switched to a standard room in the 90's section once we arrived and had a chance to look around. We were originally in the 60's which seems to be one of the most requested sections due to its proximity to the main building. The 90's building was really close to the buses and food court because it was just a quick walk through the parking lot to the main building. If you look at a map of the resort, you'll see the path I am referring to. Our room was in the back of the building, facing trees. It was always well lit and as soon as you turn the corner you see the parking lot, swimming pool, etc. There are plenty of rooms facing the parking lot, but of course where you are located is completely up to chance. Safety is always a top concern for us, and I was happy with our room and its location. If we stay at Pop again, we will save our money and go with standard and request the 90's again. It took us just a few short minutes to walk to the buses in the morning. Hope this helps!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
My2Qtz0205
DIS Veteran

If I had it to do over, I would just do standard, then make specific requests at online check-in.

My December 2012 Trip Report via my Scrapbook: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post49171745
My Almost a Grand Gathering, 10th Anniversary Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post34138322
My2Qtz0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
momtwoboys
DIS Veteran

we love standard bld 9 in the 80's...close to the 90's bld that pp mentioned. Close to bus and enter the foodcourt through front where the gift shop is. Always well lit
DS (14)
Lily
momtwoboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
lulubel88
Mouseketeer

For my last 3 solo trips I've stayed at Pop in buildings 7, 8 and 9. Building 7 was a little farther of a walk but all 3 buildings are an easy walk across the parking lot to the buses and main building. I would only suggest staying closer if you're planning on eating most meals at the resort. I'm leaving tomorrow for a stay at WL but I'm planning on going back to Pop for my stay after Thanksgiving.
lulubel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
AThrillingChase
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtwoboys View Post
we love standard bld 9 in the 80's...close to the 90's bld that pp mentioned. Close to bus and enter the foodcourt through front where the gift shop is. Always well lit
I also loved the 80's. Our room was right on the parking lot, so we walked through it (well lit) to the bus and it took 3 min. Plus food court and main hall right there. The walkways took 10 min from the same spot!
2012 - Tokyo Disney Sea
May 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2013 - first solo trip for Wine and Dine! Decided to explore new resorts: CB, YC, POLY
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge CL. Happy Birthday to me!
March/April 2014 - Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge
October 2014 - Beach Club for TOT 10-Miler! AKL/CR for Princess Half Marathon!
AThrillingChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:16 AM   #7
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

many of the std rooms are really as close as the preferred. I wouldn't pay the extra if it were me. I spent quite a bit of 'alone' time there this year as I was visiting DD who was working as a CM. So when she was working (which was a lot) I was alone. I think it is a nice safe resort because it is still fairly compact and I don't really know of any areas that aren't well lit. I went over to AoA on a couple of different occasions just for a change of pace... I never felt unsafe by myself at POP. Personally, I like the 50's section the best though, bldgs. 1 or 3!

Hope you have a great trip!!
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:34 AM   #8
krystal276
Earning My Ears

I'd agree with PP that the rooms in the 50s section are not preferred (most of them) and the ones that overlook the pool are extremely well lit and there are always other people out there. In addition, the path from that pool to the main building is busy and well lit.
krystal276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

50's and 60's both have preferred rooms. I stayed in a preferred room over on the other side of the food court area..can't remember the blg number now. I hated it. We were ground floor and there was a lot of foot traffic past our room. Yes, it was close to the food court and the buses but I hated it.
My favorite area? bldg 4, in 60's. I love the back side of the bldg, facing the lake. It's so quiet and peaceful, on an upper floor.
But if you're concerned about safety, and having the area well lit, then you may be better off in a preferred room in the 60's section, facing the main pool area.
I haven't noticed any less well lit areas though. I have stayed at Pop by myself several times and never felt unsafe.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: