Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
g3pak
DIS Veteran

What is the temp like in the evenings?

Hi, first time cruiser here. We sail in a couple of weeks on the Fantasy- western Caribbean. We have late dining. What should we expect for temperatures in the evenings? I had in mind that it would be warm/ hot 24 hours a day, but as my DW and I talked this morning about what to wear to dinner, I realized by that time it may cool off and we may want to dress accordingly.

Thank you so much for your help!
g3pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

Evening temperatures on deck can range from nicely comfortable, to downright chilly, depending on the temperature, the speed of the ship, and the wind. Temperatures indoors, well, certain areas of the ship are over air conditioned, IMO. I suggest you bring a sweater, jacket or shawl.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
allformyboys
Earning My Ears

Its cold and windy if you watch the movies at night on top deck.

WDW: Sept 9-15, 2011 AKL
DL: Dec. 25-31 2012
Fantasy: May 18-25, 2013
2013 DVC Member: AKL
allformyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by allformyboys View Post
Its cold and windy if you watch the movies at night on top deck.
They were asking about the Caribbean not Alaska. LOL I don't understand how it can be cold there? Isn't the water temperature about 80 degrees? I wouldn't think the air temp can't be much colder than that. I guess if you were from Florida you could be cold but from Seattle? We start melting and complaining when the temps get above 75. 55 to 60 degrees feels great to me.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
g3pak
DIS Veteran

the reason I ask- I suggested an outfit for my wife and she said "well, that is a long sleeve shirt, but I can wear this short sleeve with it." She gets cold easily, so if we are looking at 68 degrees in the MDR or 72 on deck after dinner with a breeze, she would probably be happier with a long sleeve each night.

On the other hand, if the MDR is 72-74 and on deck it is 80 with a breeze, we should plan on short sleeves every evening.
g3pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pak View Post
the reason I ask- I suggested an outfit for my wife and she said "well, that is a long sleeve shirt, but I can wear this short sleeve with it." She gets cold easily, so if we are looking at 68 degrees in the MDR or 72 on deck after dinner with a breeze, she would probably be happier with a long sleeve each night.

On the other hand, if the MDR is 72-74 and on deck it is 80 with a breeze, we should plan on short sleeves every evening.
If she gets cold easily, she'll definitely want long sleeves in the MDR. The air conditioning is very(!) efficient.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
gomets
Earning My Ears

On our Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy last month, I always brought a light sweater to the MDR as well as the theaters. I didn't always need it, but, it was great to have when the air conditioning was on full blast.
gomets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
They were asking about the Caribbean not Alaska. LOL I don't understand how it can be cold there? Isn't the water temperature about 80 degrees? I wouldn't think the air temp can't be much colder than that. I guess if you were from Florida you could be cold but from Seattle? We start melting and complaining when the temps get above 75. 55 to 60 degrees feels great to me.
It gets cooler when the sun goes down. If there is a good wind outside, and the ship is moving, it can feel darn chilly. To give you an idea of the wind velocity you can experience on deck, DH were once on a Caribbean cruise where the lady walking on the deck immediately in front of us lost her sunglasses to the wind. (FYI, I'm from a part of Canada where we often get -40 degree temperatures, same thing in Celsius and Fahrenheit).
Old 09-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
kiford
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi22 View Post
It gets cooler when the sun goes down. If there is a good wind outside, and the ship is moving, it can feel darn chilly. To give you an idea of the wind velocity you can experience on deck, DH were once on a Caribbean cruise where the lady walking on the deck immediately in front of us lost her sunglasses to the wind. (FYI, I'm from a part of Canada where we often get -40 degree temperatures, same thing in Celsius and Fahrenheit).
Also note that you should not walk across the deck at night to get to Palo's wearing a wide floaty skirt if you don't want to flash a lot more than you would like. It really can get extremely windy on deck when you're sailing at full speed and downright cold after dark when at full speed. Doesn't matter that you're in the Carribbean. You definitely need something on your shoulders and arms after dark on deck. I'm also from Canada and know what is cold; my first cruise (in May) I expected it to be much warmer on deck. Haven't made that mistake since.

Also, the theatres can sometimes be quite frigid particularly when there aren't many people in there. I presume that they are trying to keep it from overheating when full but it doesn't appear to moderate when fewer people are there.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: