Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
MrsB919
Mouseketeer

Cruising and BOA

I was wondering if anyone has cruised and used a Bank of America debit on the onboard account. I called today to let them know about our upcoming vacation and was told that if I use it overseas they will charge us 3%. However he was unable to verify if that would include the charges on the ship. I was just curious about any experiences you may have had. Thanks.

(Me) (Hubby) (Tanky) : (Ony) (Michey)
5/14- BCV, 9/13- CBR & DCL Fantasy, 9/12 -BWI,12/11 -POP, 9/11- Wedding & Honeymoon GF & DCL,
4/11,7/10,3/08 etc. (to many to count)- Offsite
MrsB919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
jscunningham699
Earning My Ears

If you're going to use a Debit card for your onboard account charges why not just put the cash on the onboard account? Our plan is to put cash on our onboard account to make sure we stay in budge for our trip. I don't like using credit cards, we've paid all of those off! All credit card companies charge foreign transaction fees whether you're using a debit or actual credit card.

WDW-2010 Delayed Honeymoon (Allstar Music)
WDW-2003 (All Star Music)
WDW-Various trips through out the years with family, friends etc....
jscunningham699 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
RAD
DIS Veteran

Don't know about BoA, but using a Chase card last year didn't cause any surcharges.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
lilbuddy88
Mouseketeer

No you're onboard is charged in US dollars so no fee will apply. But any thing you purchase at the ports will be charged the foreign transaction fee
lilbuddy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB919 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has cruised and used a Bank of America debit on the onboard account. I called today to let them know about our upcoming vacation and was told that if I use it overseas they will charge us 3%. However he was unable to verify if that would include the charges on the ship. I was just curious about any experiences you may have had. Thanks.
The charges on your debit card on the ship run through Disney Shore side and are treated as normal point of sale domestic transactions, and "shouldn't" incurr any out of country fee.

One big thing to double check when using debit cards, check with your bank, find out if you have a daily limit cap on the card and what that limit is. It varies from bank to bank. But you may have a $1,000.00 daily purchase limit. You'll want to make sure guest services processes charges in amounts under that or the transaction will reject.

I know this from both my personal experience and from working in a bank.

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
MrsB919
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I agree about the credit cards I've just about paid them off. Maybe I'll put it on my disney chase and then pay it off with the money on my debit when I get back.

5/14- BCV, 9/13- CBR & DCL Fantasy, 9/12 -BWI,12/11 -POP, 9/11- Wedding & Honeymoon GF & DCL,

Last edited by MrsB919; 09-14-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
RN_Mom
Mouseketeer

Bank of America customer here with 7 cruises amd never incurred a charge on the ship. We did when I bought a ring in Nassau though

RN_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Any time you are using your card with a out of the country based company, ask them if they are charging US dollars to your card. I have booked over the phone with British Airlines - no foreign transaction fee - but when I booked by phone with Air West, out of Canada, I was charge a foreign transaction fee of $25.
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
MrsB919
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN_Mom View Post
Bank of America customer here with 7 cruises amd never incurred a charge on the ship. We did when I bought a ring in Nassau though
Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
Any time you are using your card with a out of the country based company, ask them if they are charging US dollars to your card. I have booked over the phone with British Airlines - no foreign transaction fee - but when I booked by phone with Air West, out of Canada, I was charge a foreign transaction fee of $25.
The person said that it would be 3% of transaction price for overseas. I'm glad about the no charges for the ship. We are taking disney gift cards but I'm planning on having the back up debit just in case we need to. I don't foresee using it for a lot but I would hate to get home and be unpleasantly surprised.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
hrhdhd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscunningham699 View Post
All credit card companies charge foreign transaction fees whether you're using a debit or actual credit card.
That is not correct. My Capital One Rewards Visa doesn't have foreign transaction fees and I get 1% cash back.

Cruises Booked:
Princess Ruby 11/14 Western Caribbean, Princess Regal 11/14 Eastern Caribbean, RCCL Brilliance 05/15 Transatlantic

Cruises Taken:
HAL Zuiderdam 08/05 Western Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/05 Eastern Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/06 Western Caribbean, Princess Dawn 05/07 Alaska, HAL Westerdam 12/07 Eastern Caribbean, Princess Island 12/08 Panama Canal, HAL Ryndam 11/09 Western Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 01/10 Southern Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/10 Southern Caribbean, Disney Magic 05/11 Transatlantic, Princess Emerald 12/11 Southern Caribbean, Azamara Quest 10/12 Sicily / Malta, Princess Emerald 11/12 Eastern Caribbean, HAL Eurodam 03/13 Eastern Caribbean, Azamara Quest 08/13 Northern Europe, HAL Eurodam 11/13 Western Caribbean
hrhdhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
daisywithak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscunningham699 View Post
All credit card companies charge foreign transaction fees whether you're using a debit or actual credit card.
Capital One, Discover, and one other (I can't remember which) do not charge any foreign transactions fees ever.

As previous posters stated, you will not have a fee for those purchases onboard, but in ports you might want to consider using one of these credit cards if you have them.
daisywithak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
1025cruise
Mouseketeer

Actually, Discover (or at least the card I have) now does charge a foreign transaction fee. But my Mastercard was recently upgraded to a World Mastercard, so now they don't...

To the OP, one issue with a debit card is that a hold will be placed on it, hence locking your funds. Make sure you have enough cash in your account to accommodate the holds. If you have a credit card to use, it might be better to use that over a debit card.
1025cruise is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: