Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
harbin's Avatar
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 218

Downgrade to mod or switch to swan?

We are currently booked for Spring at BWI with DDP.
The cost is getting to me! I know spring discounts may save us some but not counting on them just in case. I really like the idea of staying in the Epcot area. Sooo would you switch to a moderate (POFQ & CSR are what we are considering... Or in order to stay in Epcot area would you switch to Swan. I may alternatively bite the bullet and pay the almost $9k the BWI is currently costing us but that would be painful! I know we would lose some perks at Swan, don't quite know how I feel about that. Party going Me, DH two boys ages 7 & 3
harbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
DIS Veteran
pigletto's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,562

Are you adverse to renting points?
You could try Davids DVC and see if they have anything available for Boardwalk Villas or Beach Club Villas. I wouldn't pay 9000 for a trip. I can do two trips for that. That would be two trips at a mod, but two trips nonetheless.
I would also try the Swan. I've never stayed but I agree the location is great.
There's nothing wrong with the mods, and I've stayed at them quite a few times, but if I could get the cost down I'd prefer to stay in the Epcot resort area.
pigletto is online now   Reply With Quote
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
DIS Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 627

I think if you like the idea of an Epcot resort but the cost is getting to you, the Swan should be considered, and I recommend it for you. It is absolutely a deluxe category resort. It has all the stuff the deluxe resorts have. And I loved staying there. My wife thought it didn't feel Disney, but I thought it felt Disney to me.

But.....I'll bet discounts will come out. If/when they do, you can cancel at the Swan and book at the Boardwalk, Yacht Club, or Beach Club.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
Siriusblack's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 189

You should at least be able to score a AAA discount at one of the Epcot resorts.
I stay at the Boardwalk or Beachclub all the time and have never paid rack rate. Wouldn't say no to the Swan either! Sometimes they have great special rates!
Siriusblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
DIS Veteran
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,158

I would switch to the Swan or Dolphin instead of switching to a mod. The location is fantastic and the hotels and amenities are really nice. We stayed at the Dolphin last December when I missed out on discounts on the EP resorts when booking a last minute trip. With all of the discounts I found, I ended up with 3 nights at the Dolphin for the price of one night at BWI. It was great! Swan and Dolphin will always be my go-to hotels if a WDW Deluxe is not in the budget for a particular trip!
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
DIS Veteran
patty57's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Ocean State
Posts: 2,391

Love the Swan and Dolphin. We stayed at BW and BC exclusively for years for the Epcot location, but tried the Swan in June 2012. Liked it so much we stayed at the Dolphin in May 2013.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Doing what dreamers do
DreamerWDW's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 340

Originally Posted by harbin View Post
I really like the idea of staying in the Epcot area.
I would definitely choose the Swan/Dolphin for location since you would like to be in the Epcot area. They are a great value for the location and beautiful resorts. I love staying in the Epcot area as well.

Have a great trip!
DVC owner
DreamerWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
DIS Veteran
jmasgat's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,693

If it was me, I would book at the Swan/Dolphin now and also hold on to my Disney res--hedge my bets and wait for the discounts. I would also consider dropping the dining, unless you really feel strongly about it.
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
Earning My Ears
PrincessWhite's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 59

If the spring discounts come out and aren't saving you a sufficient amount at the BW then definitely stay at the Swan or Dolphin. We stayed at the Dolphin this past August and loved it! Since you can't get the dining plan when staying at either one look on Expedia to book the room. We did this and only had to pay $129 a night.
PrincessWhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.