Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
harbin
Mouseketeer

Downgrade to mod or switch to swan?

So...
We are currently booked for Spring at BWI with DDP.
The cost is getting to me! I know spring discounts may save us some but not counting on them just in case. I really like the idea of staying in the Epcot area. Sooo would you switch to a moderate (POFQ & CSR are what we are considering... Or in order to stay in Epcot area would you switch to Swan. I may alternatively bite the bullet and pay the almost $9k the BWI is currently costing us but that would be painful! I know we would lose some perks at Swan, don't quite know how I feel about that. Party going Me, DH two boys ages 7 & 3
harbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Are you adverse to renting points?
You could try Davids DVC and see if they have anything available for Boardwalk Villas or Beach Club Villas. I wouldn't pay 9000 for a trip. I can do two trips for that. That would be two trips at a mod, but two trips nonetheless.
I would also try the Swan. I've never stayed but I agree the location is great.
There's nothing wrong with the mods, and I've stayed at them quite a few times, but if I could get the cost down I'd prefer to stay in the Epcot resort area.
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

I think if you like the idea of an Epcot resort but the cost is getting to you, the Swan should be considered, and I recommend it for you. It is absolutely a deluxe category resort. It has all the stuff the deluxe resorts have. And I loved staying there. My wife thought it didn't feel Disney, but I thought it felt Disney to me.

But.....I'll bet discounts will come out. If/when they do, you can cancel at the Swan and book at the Boardwalk, Yacht Club, or Beach Club.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
Siriusblack
Mouseketeer

You should at least be able to score a AAA discount at one of the Epcot resorts.
I stay at the Boardwalk or Beachclub all the time and have never paid rack rate. Wouldn't say no to the Swan either! Sometimes they have great special rates!
Siriusblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

I would switch to the Swan or Dolphin instead of switching to a mod. The location is fantastic and the hotels and amenities are really nice. We stayed at the Dolphin last December when I missed out on discounts on the EP resorts when booking a last minute trip. With all of the discounts I found, I ended up with 3 nights at the Dolphin for the price of one night at BWI. It was great! Swan and Dolphin will always be my go-to hotels if a WDW Deluxe is not in the budget for a particular trip!
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
patty57
DIS Veteran

Love the Swan and Dolphin. We stayed at BW and BC exclusively for years for the Epcot location, but tried the Swan in June 2012. Liked it so much we stayed at the Dolphin in May 2013.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
DreamerWDW
Doing what dreamers do

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbin View Post
I really like the idea of staying in the Epcot area.
I would definitely choose the Swan/Dolphin for location since you would like to be in the Epcot area. They are a great value for the location and beautiful resorts. I love staying in the Epcot area as well.

Have a great trip!
Old 09-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

If it was me, I would book at the Swan/Dolphin now and also hold on to my Disney res--hedge my bets and wait for the discounts. I would also consider dropping the dining, unless you really feel strongly about it.
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
PrincessWhite
Earning My Ears

If the spring discounts come out and aren't saving you a sufficient amount at the BW then definitely stay at the Swan or Dolphin. We stayed at the Dolphin this past August and loved it! Since you can't get the dining plan when staying at either one look on Expedia to book the room. We did this and only had to pay $129 a night.
PrincessWhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: