Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Minniemiss
DIS Veteran

Booked AirTran flights on Southwest site. DCL baggage fees?

I booked on Southwest, our flights are on AirTran. Because I booked the flights on the Southwest site we don't have to pay the checked baggage fees. Has any one used the DCL Onboard Airline Check-In and did DCL charge the baggage fees or were they waived?
Thanks.

Last edited by Minniemiss; 09-07-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Minniemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Minniemiss
DIS Veteran

bump
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
3LittlePirates
Mouseketeer

As long as you booked on the Southwest page you are good..no baggage fees
3LittlePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

I didn't think DCL did this with Southwest?
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

That's a good question...AirTran is a participating airline for the Onboard Airline Check-in program, but Southwest is not. I'd be interested in how DCL handles this as well. I would guess that since the actual flight is AirTran, this qualifies. But purchased through Southwest throws a bit of a question into it all - how or whether DCL will differentiate.
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
puppytrainer
Mouseketeer

I purchased tickets this way for our trip this past June. Since you purchased via Southwest, everything is Southwest rules. No baggage fees, no change fees (I did end up changing our flights w/o fees, had to call SW to do it, could not do it on-line because SW was not the carrier), and could not do the check-in on DCL because it's technically a SW flight even though Air Tran is the carrier. As of June, and I read somewhere this might change in the future so I'm not 100% where it stands today - could not purchase early bird check in because SW was not the carrier even though the tickets were purchased on SW, and also could not buy our seat assignments a head of time like an Air Tran customer can because it wasn't purchased on Air Tran's site so I was a little concerned not getting seated together. But all worked out well, my DD and I got seats next to each other at the 24 hour check-in for both coming and going. HTH.

Me DD (10)

1999-Port Orleans ~ 2009-Pop Century ~ 2011-Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ 2013-Disney Fantasy-Western Caribbean ~ 2014-AKL/Disney Dream-Bahamas/BCV
puppytrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
Minniemiss
DIS Veteran

Just got back! We went to Guest Services and asked and they knew about booking an AirTran flight on the Southwest site and no luggage fees perk. They said we wouldn't be charged for the luggage when we used the Onboard Check In. We didn't get charged for our three bags but our friends were charged for their one bag. They had to go back to Guest Services the last morning to get the charge removed.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
Minniemiss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LittlePirates View Post
As long as you booked on the Southwest page you are good..no baggage fees

We knew we had no baggage fees, we weren't sure how this would work with the DCL Onboard CheckIn.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
Minniemiss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppytrainer View Post
I purchased tickets this way for our trip this past June. Since you purchased via Southwest, everything is Southwest rules. No baggage fees, no change fees (I did end up changing our flights w/o fees, had to call SW to do it, could not do it on-line because SW was not the carrier), and could not do the check-in on DCL because it's technically a SW flight even though Air Tran is the carrier. As of June, and I read somewhere this might change in the future so I'm not 100% where it stands today - could not purchase early bird check in because SW was not the carrier even though the tickets were purchased on SW, and also could not buy our seat assignments a head of time like an Air Tran customer can because it wasn't purchased on Air Tran's site so I was a little concerned not getting seated together. But all worked out well, my DD and I got seats next to each other at the 24 hour check-in for both coming and going. HTH.
Sorry you couldn't do the check in on DCL. We had no problem. As a matter of fact the cast member at Guest Services was very familiar with the "booked on Southwest- Air Tran flight luggage procedure". She said they had been doing this since the merger. We were on the Dream.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

Good to know!!!! I always fly Southwest so I've never used the DCL Onboard Airline Check-In! However, for our cruise next week, DH & I are flying home on Southwest, but my parents and brother are all flying home AirTran booked through Southwest. How does the Onboard Airline Check-In work?? What do I need to tell my family they need to do?
trickiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
Dizzyworld
DIS Veteran

Location: Towson, MD---930 miles too far from my happy place!

We haven't done it this way yet either. If you booked through Southwest but the carrier is AirTran, at the airport you check in at AirTran?
Poly - 1/85, 6/02, 8/07, 8/08, 10/09 (Food & Wine Festival & MNSSHP), 8/10 ~~~ BC - 8/00, 7/09 ~~~ YC - 8/03 ~~~ WL - 12/02, 1/15 ~~~ AKL - 8/04, 12/04 ~~~ Contemporary - 8/08 ~~~ Swan - 12/05, 8/06 ~~~ POFQ - 8/07 ~~~~ Dolphin 12/13 ~~~ Off-Site - 3/89

DCL Magic - 8/01 (Eastern), 8/04 (Eastern), 8/06 (Western- Double Dip), 7/09 (Eastern - Tortola)
DCL Wonder - 6/02, 8/07, 8/08 (Double Dip)

DCL Dream - B2B - 7/11 & 8/11, 3/13, 12/13
DCL Fantasy - 6/12 (Western)
1/15 (Eastern)
Dizzyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyworld View Post
We haven't done it this way yet either. If you booked through Southwest but the carrier is AirTran, at the airport you check in at AirTran?
Yes, you check in at AirTran!
trickiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #13
Minniemiss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickiwoo View Post
Good to know!!!! I always fly Southwest so I've never used the DCL Onboard Airline Check-In! However, for our cruise next week, DH & I are flying home on Southwest, but my parents and brother are all flying home AirTran booked through Southwest. How does the Onboard Airline Check-In work?? What do I need to tell my family they need to do?

When you get on board, go to Guest Services and ask for the Onboard Airline Check in Form. You will need the AirTran confirmation number so they can print out your boarding passes and luggage tags. Fill out the form and hand it in. The last day you will receive at your room the boarding passes and luggage tags. We put our luggage out the last night and didn't see them again until we arrived at our home airport. It was great! Just be sure to check your bill and make sure you weren't hit with the baggage fees. We weren't, but our friends were. They went to guest services and they were removed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: