Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #601
BC1836
DIS Veteran

DVCzerfs just texted in: He and his family, taking the popular inland route favored by Pennsylvanians, are about 15 minutes from Columbia, SC. And they're headin' southeast!

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
BC1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #602
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom

Yay for DVCzerfs!! Glad he's making good time! And good thing that gas prices are starting to fall a little too...well, good for him and good for ME since we leave Monday!!!!! I'm SOOOO excited!

WL 2013*ASMo 2011/2010/2006*FW 2007**SoG 2000*Off Site 1998

No Ticker...
hebbynan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #603
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebbynan View Post
Yay for DVCzerfs!! Glad he's making good time! And good thing that gas prices are starting to fall a little too...well, good for him and good for ME since we leave Monday!!!!! I'm SOOOO excited!
97 DEGREES TODAY!!!!

we left home at 1:00 am this morning and pulled into okw at 5pm. we hit just a bit of traffic in Orlando but nothing but a little slow up. after being awake for 24 hours now, ill fill you in a little later!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!

dvczerfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #604
BC1836
DIS Veteran

The journey and the destination. The two are inextricably linked yet they are separate entities. On Spacehip Earth, riders get a chance to select one or the other in order to build their "future." Now then...on this thread, the journey is the featured element, although the destination is what the drive is all about. So keep on driving, folks. And enjoy the journey...and the destination!

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #605
feet1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
The journey and the destination. The two are inextricably linked yet they are separate entities. On Spacehip Earth, riders get a chance to select one or the other in order to build their "future." Now then...on this thread, the journey is the featured element, although the destination is what the drive is all about. So keep on driving, folks. And enjoy the journey...and the destination!

All the best.
Awesomely written!!

1984 (I was 9) - off site 1989 - off site 1992 -CBR 2006 - POFQ 2007 - WL
Sept 19-27 2013 POFQ

feet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #606
Goofygirl17
DIS Veteran

Just booked Dec 21st-Dec 28th!!

Spending Christmas with Mickey
Goofygirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #607
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygirl17 View Post
Just booked Dec 21st-Dec 28th!!

Spending Christmas with Mickey
Wave to us as we head back north. Let our mutual countdowns begin.

All the best.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #608
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Some good folks from Texas and Connecticut posted questions on another transportation thread about long distance drives. We extended an invitation to them to investigate this thread. Let's be as helpful as possible if they decide to "join us." [Of course, there's always my way!]

All the best.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #609
CynJ
Caffeinated Insomniac

One of those folks popping in

I'm driving down Oct 31, 2014 from Connecticut with my mom. We're stopping in Jessup, Maryland to pick up the Aunties then heading for WDW.

I'm going to be doing the majority of the driving and I am traveling with folks with significant health issues. My goal is not to exhaust them on the trip down (or make them so achy from riding that they are miserable and can't enjoy their trip) so we will be doing our drive in sections.

Oct 30 we plan to leave CT in the afternoon and arrive at the Aunties by evening. It's about a 5 hour trip door to door. We're planning on spending the night there and leaving in the morning.

Oct 31 leave Jessup in the morning and head for I95. I'd originally planned to break for the night in Latta, SC but they've all decided that they can push forward for a while longer (as long as we take a few stretch breaks along the way) so we'll probably stop somewhere around St. George, SC. Jessup to Latta is about a 6 hour ride. Jessup to St. George is about 7.5 hours.

Nov 1 leave SC in the morning and head for WDW. From Latta will be a 7 hour trip, from St. George about 5.5-6. This gets us to WDW with time to get into our room and then head out to Epcot for dinner.

So that's our plan. Thoughts?

Edited to ask - is there a better route through FL than i95? Seems like it's not the most direct route to WDW.

1991 - Caribbean Resort
2002 - All Star Movies
2014 - Art of Animation
CynJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #610
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynJ View Post
One of those folks popping in

I'm driving down Oct 31, 2014 from Connecticut with my mom. We're stopping in Jessup, Maryland to pick up the Aunties then heading for WDW.

I'm going to be doing the majority of the driving and I am traveling with folks with significant health issues. My goal is not to exhaust them on the trip down (or make them so achy from riding that they are miserable and can't enjoy their trip) so we will be doing our drive in sections.

Oct 30 we plan to leave CT in the afternoon and arrive at the Aunties by evening. It's about a 5 hour trip door to door. We're planning on spending the night there and leaving in the morning.

Oct 31 leave Jessup in the morning and head for I95. I'd originally planned to break for the night in Latta, SC but they've all decided that they can push forward for a while longer (as long as we take a few stretch breaks along the way) so we'll probably stop somewhere around St. George, SC. Jessup to Latta is about a 6 hour ride. Jessup to St. George is about 7.5 hours.

Nov 1 leave SC in the morning and head for WDW. From Latta will be a 7 hour trip, from St. George about 5.5-6. This gets us to WDW with time to get into our room and then head out to Epcot for dinner.

So that's our plan. Thoughts?

Edited to ask - is there a better route through FL than i95? Seems like it's not the most direct route to WDW.

A few suggestions: Avoid the major metro areas (especially greater DC) at rush hour!

I-95 is the route those of us east of the Delaware take (especially those of us near the Atlantic coast); many of the Pennsy drivers prefer the I-81-77 route (or variations of).

All rest stops on I-95 are not created equal, but use them all for bathroom breaks, etc.

Make your driving plan and pace yourselves behind the wheel. You'll be drinking that courtesy orange juice/grapefruit juice at the FL welcome center before you know it.

All the best.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #611
SunkistJoy
Earning My Ears

Just read the whole 41 pages...good stuff! Although not the person from TX mentioned by a previous poster, we are west of Fort Worth and will be making our 1st ever trip to WDW in Oct. Yea!

Besides DH and myself we have our 5 kiddos (9,9,8,5,3) in our trusty Honda Pilot. I've gotten pretty good at light packing, but DH has decreed that we must use the car topper for this trip. Gives me a bit of breathing room. We've done lots of long drives together, but 600 miles each way is more our norm. Luckily, kiddos are good travelers and I have Pinterest to mine for tips.

Just starting in earnest to decide where we should stop on our trip, and today DH told me that he MIGHT be working in Joplin, MO the day we leave. Kiddos and I are flexible (homeschoolers) so I plugged it into Google maps- 1 mile different than if we start from home. So...now I'm contingency planning also. Hopefully we'll find out soon where we will be starting from, but either way, we're going to Disney World!!

Any suggestions and tips (for either route) are greatly appreciated!

DH, Me,
SunkistJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #612
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Hi guys!!! Gas is 3.35 at the Hess station. Having a great first full day!!! 90 degrees and loving it!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!

Old 09-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #613
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Someone wants to say hi!!!

Old 09-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #614
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs
Hi Brianna!

Dvczerfs: such a proud papa :-)

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #615
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post

Hi Brianna. Hope to see you in a little over six weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: