Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #76
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle0101 View Post
To the bolded, what did you want the CM to do, or what compensation were you wanting, that would have made you feel better?
I think all the OP was really asking for was an "are you okay?" from a nearby CM, which is a rather logical desire.

**shifting from quoted OP**

To be frank, I get the whole love for Disney thing but when something like this malfunctions, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with someone being upset over this malfunction.

And at what point are they going to even replace these monorails? Most of them are now approaching their 22nd year in service and they're showing their datedness with dirtier cabins (considered "small" by today's standards), more breakdowns, and lots of smaller problems. While they still be operational this year, at one point in the future, they won't be and you'll have to replace them. Now how much longer they can get out of them is the real question (from what I hear they're hoping to keep these cars until at least 2020).
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #77
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

In general I think people want to be heard and shown some kindness.

Totally a guess but had someone said "I'm really sorry that happened, are you ok" then listened it wouldn't have continued to bother. I've felt that way on more than one occasion in life. But as I said, totally a guess.

In the end you just have to make the decision to move on. IMO
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #78
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Yes they do. Watching a video on youtube, I'm not sure how they would even close at the same time. That is very strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3GbwRJ5hTQ
Given how these doors operate, I don't see how any pregnant woman's belly could possibly be caught between these doors. One door closes completely before the other door starts to close. Either you would stop when the first door began to close, or you would be out the other side before it began to close. In this case, neither the OP or his wife were actually in the doorway at the time. So why are they traumatized by this? Surprised, of course! But why be traumatized by something that didn't happen?

I can understand if the stroller was caught- they're large and unwieldy and some people are not very adept at moving them quickly. I hope the stroller wasn't damaged. If it was, I'm sure Disney would have taken care of that. I'm sure the child in it was shielded by the stroller. I'm still trying to figure out how the little girl managed to get onto the monorail. Aren't boarding guests held back until guests have exited the monorail cars?

Yes, this is a good reminder that caution should be exercised around the doors of any monorail (or bus, for that matter). But the OP really needs to put this behind them and move on. Given that nothing happened to them other than having a door shut in front of them, why do they feel that the CM's needed to ask if they were OK or do 'something to make them feel better'? Methinks that if the OP and his wife continue to feel this way, they should seek alternate transportation on future visits.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #79
DisReno
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
Try to ignore the people on here that "attacked" you for no reason, they are not well.
Just laughing my head off over this comment. So funny. This poster just diagnosed 80% of the people on the DIS.

We are not well.

Too funny.
DisReno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #80
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtotwoteens

Not at all. I was talking about the many uncalled-for rude comments all over the boards. I wasn't questioning whether it happened or not. Maybe you didn't catch that.
Thats my mistake I thought you were referring to the skeptics on this thread, my apologies.
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #81
JessieLou7861
Earning My Ears

I know how cautious a man is of his pregnant wife, 6 weeks to 9 months. No difference in the father's eyes. And for the guy that posted that her belly couldn't possibly stick out far enough to come in contact with the door, that is so not true. My belly happened to be very perky and outward. I can see where this startled everyone involved. Especially the young children!!

I am so sorry you guys had to go through this. Hopefully, Wishes perked up your night a little bit.
JessieLou7861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #82
JessieLou7861
Earning My Ears

And the doors may not slide shut to close on her belly. But the wrong movement at the wrong place could cause damage.
JessieLou7861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #83
Pinkerton2
Earning My Ears

This clearly sounds like a malfunction because these doors are not supposed to stay shut when they encounter a solid object. Rather, they should immediately open back up like your garage doors do. What color was the monorail train because we are arriving this weekend and have young children and need to watch out for this? Thanks for the post.
Pinkerton2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #84
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Yes they do. Watching a video on youtube, I'm not sure how they would even close at the same time. That is very strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3GbwRJ5hTQ
That is true... They used to shut all at once but that was a long time ago.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:26 AM   #85
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysophie View Post
Not in the contemporary, Floridian or poly. There you exit and enter on same side
But in the original post it stated that they were going to MK for Wishes, and then they talk about getting off - which I would assume meant at MK?
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #86
>Ash<
Sorcerer Of The Magic Kingdom

Monorail ....

Hi Guys,

sorry this happened to you OP.

however you have to imagine, its a mechanical obhject, that can break down, the sensors will eventually fail and even safety precausions can fail.

people have high expectations when at disney but this could happen anywhere, anytime not just in the world.

i bet they serviced the vehicle not long after it left that station, ive watched a documentary on youtube about maintenance on the monorails and they seem to be constantly checking however somtimes the diagnostic equipment cant tell that a sensor is close to failure and they wont find out about it until it does fail. not ideal but nothing anyone can do.

anyways glad everyone is okay, and hope it didnt ruin your trip.

>Ash< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #87
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieface
This post has been turned into to much drama just don't feel any love here.
I don't know why the mods allow these constant gang-ups. It was not always like this on here.
WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo (HolidayTime!) | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo (HalloweenTime!) | DLR Aug 2014 GCH | DLR Sep 2014 DLH for the first time! (HalloweenTime!) | DLR Dec 2014 TBD (HolidayTime!) | Moving to L.A. 2015!
mikedoyleblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #88
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedoyleblogger View Post

I don't know why the mods allow these constant gang-ups. It was not always like this on here.
What "gang up?!" Questioning and disagreeing aren't a "gang up." If you don't want to read varied opinions don't post. Because the world is full of different people.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #89
troyseyfert
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
That is true... They used to shut all at once but that was a long time ago.
Hello everyone...

Ok...just a little clarification...

You are correct when you say that the monorail doors usually close one at a time. However, when they malfunction and close, it's a different story. The vehicle WAS malfunctioning, which caused for the doors to suddenly close. If anyone has a youtube video of a monorail malfunctioning and sees otherwise, let me know.

Not meaning to start drama on here...was only trying to warn people again. This was on the "Iron Man" monorail. They were having problems when they were loading at the gate...they had to stop and realign with the metal gate doors.

This did really happen. Sorry I don't have a "link" to post on here, but I think it would be really low of me to post on here the seriousness of an incident like this just to stir up threads on here.

Again, it was a GREAT vacation. One of the greatest vacations we have had in Florida...so we still love Disney! I just know many people share about experiences that happen on here and wanted to share the rare situation we had.
troyseyfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #90
fabulousfive
DIS Veteran

Thanks again for sharing, and for telling which one it was. Glad all is okay.
fabulousfive is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: