Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Delta offers pretzels & Bischoff(?) cookies. I think peanuts may be an option too. I agree with others, even if the airline doesn't offer snacks, you don't know what someone brought on the flight before yours.
We flew Delta last week and were offered peanuts as well as the pretzels & Biscoff.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #17
mrsaumock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antree View Post

My DS is also off the chart, Let the airline know before you go. If you haven't booked your ticket yet, let them know during booking. If you did book already call and ask them to note it. When you check your luggage in let them know at that time, also.
With SWA they will give a peanut dust folder to bring to the plane, and we give that to the attendant at the door of the plane and another one on the plane.
If you don't warn them before the plane is loaded with snacks there wont be anything they can do. SWA will load peanut free snacks with enough warning before boarding.

I also was told to give my DS Benadryl before boarding. I will also wipe the seat, arm rest, tray, window, seat belt and my seat before he sits, then I drape it with a blanket for him to sit on. He has been flying since he was 2 and now is 11yrs. it is scary but doable.

After an announcement one time a gentleman sitting next to me and my DS open a snack bar. I politely asked him if it had peanuts in it, because we were the ones with the allergy. He apologized, he just wasn't thinking and he put it away in the over head bin. I thanked him with gratitude and told him I was really scared because my DH wasn't with me and flying with a n allergy child is so scary. He understood, his son had allergies. Hopefully, you won't have any problems and you will have caring people on your flight the way we did
Thank you SO much for this information!! I will call them - we have already booked our flight. Just wondering, does your dd take an allergy med daily? My dd takes children's Zyrtec daily - I'm wondering if I should still give her Benadryl in addition to Zyrtec. We usually reserve Benadryl as our first course of action when she reacts. We haven't had to use the epi yet
mrsaumock is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
mrsaumock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post

We flew Delta last week and were offered peanuts as well as the pretzels & Biscoff.
Good to know - thank you!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #19
antree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsaumock View Post
Thank you SO much for this information!! I will call them - we have already booked our flight. Just wondering, does your dd take an allergy med daily? My dd takes children's Zyrtec daily - I'm wondering if I should still give her Benadryl in addition to Zyrtec. We usually reserve Benadryl as our first course of action when she reacts. We haven't had to use the epi yet
My DS has been off the Zyrtec for about 2 yrs now. If I was to give the Benadryl I would do that for the flight and save the Zyrtec for later that day more towards night time. If anything she'll get tired. Then give the Zyrtec at regular time on the next day. If you are unsure you can call your Dr or pharmacy and they can advise you. My mother takes her Zyrtec in the morning and Benadryl at night, so it has been done.
Our allergist said if they need the Benadryl it doesn't matter when they had the Zyrtec. Zytrec will not do what we need the Benadryl to do in case of contact to peanuts.
It just might make her sleepy taking both. So just spread it apart.
antree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #20
LeslieG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks everyone! We are flying Delta so it's good to know they have snacks other than peanuts. I will be sure to tell them about the allergy as well. DD has never reacted to peanuts; we only found out after she had allergic reactions to milk and eggs. There's a chance that the blood test is a false positive, but her number is off the chart so there's no way we will risk exposure (intentionally). Thanks so much for all of the replies!!
I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm curious when you say your daughter's number is off the chart. My son has a dairy allergy, but the allergist never suggested any testing. He said we didn't need a test to know he had the allergy, just because he had pretty strong symptoms. Is this a blood test that shows the degree of allergy? I think that's something I'd like to know. Maybe I need a new doctor.
LeslieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #21
mrsaumock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieG View Post

I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm curious when you say your daughter's number is off the chart. My son has a dairy allergy, but the allergist never suggested any testing. He said we didn't need a test to know he had the allergy, just because he had pretty strong symptoms. Is this a blood test that shows the degree of allergy? I think that's something I'd like to know. Maybe I need a new doctor.
No problem - our dd reacted to milk when she was about 5 months old. Hives, vomiting etc. they did a blood test to see if she tested positive for anything else. On a scale of 0-100, her peanut reading simply says greater than 100. Her milk was somewhere around 35. I think a lot of docs don't do blood tests bc they can give false positives. The only way to really confirm an allergy is to expose them to it (ingestion or scratch test). Her peanut number is so high we won't risk it. But that's probably why your doc didn't do a blood test. You could request one I'm sure, but just be aware of the false positive possibility and that a lot of insurance companies won't cover it. Hope that helps - let me know if you have any questions or if I didn't explain that well enough!!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #22
JediBonas
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Just FYI, my son's blood test for peanuts was really high (I can't remember the exact number) but his allergist said its not really related to sensitivity and he's not convinced peanuts will be a big problem for him. That being said, I haven't risked giving him anything with nuts and keep his epi pen nearby.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #23
mrsaumock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediBonas View Post

Just FYI, my son's blood test for peanuts was really high (I can't remember the exact number) but his allergist said its not really related to sensitivity and he's not convinced peanuts will be a big problem for him. That being said, I haven't risked giving him anything with nuts and keep his epi pen nearby.
This!! You explained it much better than I did. I just sort of rambled. Lol. Thanks!!

DD has never reacted to peanuts but we've never exposed her either. We take precautions and keep her epi pen with us.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #24
JediBonas
DIS Veteran

Quote:

No problem - our dd reacted to milk when she was about 5 months old. Hives, vomiting etc. they did a blood test to see if she tested positive for anything else. On a scale of 0-100, her peanut reading simply says greater than 100. Her milk was somewhere around 35. I think a lot of docs don't do blood tests bc they can give false positives. The only way to really confirm an allergy is to expose them to it (ingestion or scratch test). Her peanut number is so high we won't risk it. But that's probably why your doc didn't do a blood test. You could request one I'm sure, but just be aware of the false positive possibility and that a lot of insurance companies won't cover it. Hope that helps - let me know if you have any questions or if I didn't explain that well enough!!
I agree, I think the allergy testing isn't always correct. Our son tested positive for a soy allergy, he was on soy milk for months prior to this because we thought he had a milk allergy! We still occasionally give him foods with soy and egg (which he also feted positive for), just not risking the peanut one yet.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #25
mrsaumock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediBonas View Post

I agree, I think the allergy testing isn't always correct. Our son tested positive for a soy allergy, he was on soy milk for months prior to this because we thought he had a milk allergy! We still occasionally give him foods with soy and egg (which he also feted positive for), just not risking the peanut one yet.
Same thing happened to us!! She tested positive for soy and she's been drinking soy milk since we found out she's allergic to cow milk. The best way to determine an allergy is by reaction. We won't risk the peanut allergy though.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #26
LeslieG
DIS Veteran

My son has been allergic to dairy since he was a baby. He's 14 now. We thought he'd outgrow it, as most kids do I guess. But no such luck. It's just a way of life now. I remember asking the doctor how severe his allergy was, and he kind of acted like that was a stupid question. He said you can't be a little bit allergic. You either are or you aren't. But that didn't seem right to me, because some people have very severe reactions, while others just minor.
LeslieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #27
RevKjb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuconlee View Post
Southwest still gives out peanuts on flights...
On our Southwest flight home from the World on the Labour Day weekend, the flight attendant suspended distribution of the peanut snacks announced a severe allergy and then collected all open and unopened snacks. They then distributed more pretzels which were manufactured in a factory that could not guarantee that the product had not come into contact with peanuts...so I'm not sure what to say is the best course of action...

Canada

RevKjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #28
JediBonas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My son has been allergic to dairy since he was a baby. He's 14 now. We thought he'd outgrow it, as most kids do I guess. But no such luck. It's just a way of life now. I remember asking the doctor how severe his allergy was, and he kind of acted like that was a stupid question. He said you can't be a little bit allergic. You either are or you aren't. But that didn't seem right to me, because some people have very severe reactions, while others just minor.
I agree. My son's only allergic reaction (so far, and hopefully forever) is eczema, sometimes he gets little red dots all over his body, too, but they don't itch or bother him at all. The bad eczema that just wouldn't go away is what prompted our dr to send us to the allergist. My husband also has allergies, and I would definitely say some things he's only "a little" allergic to. He might eat something and his reaction is a runny nose, something else might swell his eyes, etc.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #29
denneg
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by antree View Post
I also was told to give my DS Benadryl before boarding.
Just curious, but was this a doctor or allergist who told you to give Benadryl? I'm a nurse, and it goes against my training to treat with Benadryl first - I've always been taught that Benadryl masks the symptoms of the reaction so the Epi may be given too late. I only ask and bring it up so you can discuss with a doctor, I've see too many tragic cases to not mention it. If its the advice you got from your doctor and it's worked for you, I certainly don't want to tell you to do otherwise!
denneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #30
antree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevKjb View Post
On our Southwest flight home from the World on the Labour Day weekend, the flight attendant suspended distribution of the peanut snacks announced a severe allergy and then collected all open and unopened snacks. They then distributed more pretzels which were manufactured in a factory that could not guarantee that the product had not come into contact with peanuts...so I'm not sure what to say is the best course of action...

This is why you must notify the airlines when you buy your tickets and again when you check in your luggage. If SWA is told about the allergy in that manner then they have time to load the plane with non peanut items, including made in the same facility items. We only fly SWA and also confirmed the Peanut Allergy in time and the snacks were, crackers and something else can't remember and the warning never had anything on them about peanuts.

They ask you to please to get to the airport in plenty of time before the plane is loaded with the snacks so there is no mistakes. Only one time in the 8 yrs my DS has been flying I forgot to confirm the allergy when we got to the airport, by the time I realized it and went to SWA counter before boarding, they asked me how can I forget. I don't know just trying to get both kids settled that morning It just slipped my mind. We got to the airport a little later then usual. I was still given my pre board slip with the allergy. They couldn't serve any snacks because they already loaded the plane. So the announcement was, there will be no snacks on the flight because of an allergy. Thankfully no one complained
I swear I was so upset, I was running late and forgot and also I stop others from having a snack. I have never been late again getting to the airport.
antree is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: