Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #31
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Many years ago when the monorail was much newer, I was still coming into a monorail when the door closed. I scurried in but the doors somehow snagged one of my index fingers and clamped down pretty hard. After several seconds the doors opened back up but my finger was pretty bruised and swollen after that.

We went to the medical facility in MK just to get ice but it never occurred to me to ask for anything. It was just an accident and I wasn't seriously hurt. I do sympathize though because it was scary!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #32
TravelE
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the warning!

That is a scary situation. I would be very upset to be squashed by a large mechanical door. I am already paranoid about being stuck on the monorail and know I need to watch out for the doors. I think I will avoid the monorail on my upcoming trip!

I am glad you and your wife are okay!
TravelE is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #33
troyseyfert
Mouseketeer

Whoa...whoa...whoa people....

Was gone for a little while and look what happened.

Want to address a few things:

1) As far as the "snake comment", I was trying to address that you don't put something up in a thread like that. Not trying to gain extra sympathy.

2) People have been misreading, misreading, misreading. My OP was about warning people. I'm not trying to gain sympathy. I was surprised about the reactions of the CM's, but I wasn't trying to gain extra sympahty.It was other people that took it too far...which takes me to my 3rd point...

3) All of you who have said, "Well, if it was me..." do not fully understand. Her belly could have gone right up against the door and smashed in there...you're trying to make light of what we had felt. And until you actually experience it, you can't try to put in your two cents or you end up saying something wrong.

4) I might have only 67 posts, but I have been to Disneyworld 8 times in the past 7 years...so guess what, I know a lot...I just don't post much on Disboards...I was trying to warn everyone about the monorail malfunction...that's it. Guess I should have thought about what I had posted before. Not much love here, is there?
troyseyfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #34
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyseyfert View Post
Whoa...whoa...whoa people....

Was gone for a little while and look what happened.

Want to address a few things:

1) As far as the "snake comment", I was trying to address that you don't put something up in a thread like that. Not trying to gain extra sympathy.

2) People have been misreading, misreading, misreading. My OP was about warning people. I'm not trying to gain sympathy. I was surprised about the reactions of the CM's, but I wasn't trying to gain extra sympahty.It was other people that took it too far...which takes me to my 3rd point...

3) All of you who have said, "Well, if it was me..." do not fully understand. Her belly could have gone right up against the door and smashed in there...you're trying to make light of what we had felt. And until you actually experience it, you can't try to put in your two cents or you end up saying something wrong.

4) I might have only 67 posts, but I have been to Disneyworld 8 times in the past 7 years...so guess what, I know a lot...I just don't post much on Disboards...I was trying to warn everyone about the monorail malfunction...that's it. Guess I should have thought about what I had posted before. Not much love here, is there?
I just want to address the bolded because apparently you were not aware of this infamous thread:
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...space+mountain
He wasn't being malicious he was making a joke regarding a ridiculous thread.
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #35
Fanboy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So, the monorail people were trying to get everything figured out. Finally, they got the doors open. However, NO ONE checked to see if we were ok or did anything to try to make us feel better. My wife was shaken up the entire night. The people with the double strollers were complaining to the monorail people and asked, "What are you going to do for us now that you have made all my family nervous?" It was not a pretty sight.
Just to point out to those tut tutting the OP about demanding compensation, it was someone else on the monorail who caused the compensation scene.

troyseyfert, sorry you had to go through this monorail experience. My DD10 is always extra cautious around elevator and subway doors, so I know if this happened to her she would flip right out.
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #36
ghtx
"In this times that all strategies seem to be death and you pay to eat fart and make a line in the parks of DW and just a few rides..."

Wasn't there a James Bond movie where a guy is killed by a sliding door? I think maybe it was "The Living Daylights". It wasn't on the monorail, though.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #37
PrettyFlower2
Mouseketeer

I am very sorry that happened to you OP and I appreciate the warning! ( I think op was just trying to look out for us not complain)

Eating Vegetarian in WDW

Dana
PrettyFlower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #38
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
Wasn't there a James Bond movie where a guy is killed by a sliding door? I think maybe it was "The Living Daylights". It wasn't on the monorail, though.
I dunno but I'm more worried about elevator doors.. more deaths in movies are caused by elevator doors...
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #39
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

I am sorry that happened to you. My DH and I do not hesitate to visit Guest Services to report both bad and WONDERFUL experiences. Last November, I encountered an incredible cast member at DHS. I walked right over to Guest Services to tell them about it. This past trip, we had two incredible waiters at Monsieur Paul that I wrote to Disney about.

But also this past trip, in August, we had a scary experience where a Disney bus at Fort Wilderness was literally tail-gaiting our golf cart. We also ended up talking to Guest Services about that. Disney ended up calling us three times to get more details about the situation. We never asked for anything special, and were never offered anything special. But I do believe Disney Transportation was concerned enough so that it doesn't happen again.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #40
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellebud View Post
...At Great Wolf Lodge once, a friend we were there with got her arm stuck in the elevator door. She put her arm in the way of the door to hold it for someone, and the sensor didn't work and it closed on her arm. .....
Never, ever, ever stick your arm in a closing elevator door unless it's okay if you lose it. Use a purse, bag, phone and wave it in front of the eye in an emergency (unless the elevator is buzzing and then you have kept the door open too long and it is going to close none the less). Or hit the door open button.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #41
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Never, ever, ever stick your arm in a closing elevator door unless it's okay if you lose it. Use a purse, bag, phone and wave it in front of the eye in an emergency (unless the elevator is buzzing and then you have kept the door open too long and it is going to close none the less). Or hit the door open button.
Great point. I see people put their arm/bag/STROLLER in subway closing doors all the time.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #42
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
So, just letting you all know, monorails can break down at any time and sensors can break down so be cautious when walking off monorails from now on.
I'm really sorry that happened to you guys. It can be scary to think about what "could" have happened. Although, that baby is pretty well protected in that belly of hers I can't tell you how many times I smacked my own pregnant ginormous belly into a counter, a table, etc. As far as I know, my kids are fine. LOL

But I do kind of think that the quoted statement is a given. KWIM? I mean, it's mechanical, and operated by people (human error). So of course it's prone to malfunctioning from time to time.

But again, sorry that happened to you.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #43
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hello everyone...

My wife and I just returned from a GREAT trip at the Walt Disney World resort.

However, we had a scare the last couple days we were there. My wife is close to 6 months pregnant and we were riding the monorail to go see Wishes at Magic Kingdom.

On the monorail we were on, it was taking a while for the monorail to actually open up the door...it seems like they were trying to shift to line up to the metal gates?

Finally, the doors opened and everyone was getting out. My wife and I were on the tail end of the crowds. All of a sudden, the doors closed right in front of our faces, leaving us trapped. The people right next to us had a double stroller and the door closed right in the middle of a double stroller...there was also a little girl approaching and getting in and the doors closed on her and she was screaming and crying because she was trapped.

It could have been a terrible experience if my wife would have just walked out in the middle when the doors were closing and it could have smashed into her belly.

So, the monorail people were trying to get everything figured out. Finally, they got the doors open. However, NO ONE checked to see if we were ok or did anything to try to make us feel better. My wife was shaken up the entire night. The people with the double strollers were complaining to the monorail people and asked, "What are you going to do for us now that you have made all my family nervous?" It was not a pretty sight.

My wife and I are now a little paranoid when exiting monorails because of what happened. So, just letting you all know, monorails can break down at any time and sensors can break down so be cautious when walking off monorails from now on.
But that's also a problem for the Cast Members. Guest #1 might just want to exit and get to Wishes while Guest #15 wants five Fastpasses to make up for the event. Sure, leave Guest #1 go but what do you do with Guest #15 and a crowd of people around? Give out five Fastpasses to those left and have to deal with others who come back and now want five Fastpasses?

As others have mentioned throughout this thread, expectations of "compensation" vary wildly. From nothing (like this original poster) to Fastpasses. What does a Cast Member do to make it fair to all without making a huge incident to affect others not even involved (and you know people out there would take advantage without even being near the monorail at that time).

Let's face it, unless you were personally there and experienced this, you shouldn't be saying what kind of compensation should have been given out (or not given out).
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #44
girlsmom
Mouseketeer

oh my heavens people: some of yall are being just MEAN!

op: i am so sorry that happened to you. while pregnant, balance can be off as it is so that was probably a VERY close call for you for something awful to have happened!

thank you for the heads up for monorail!
girlsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #45
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post
...it's mechanical, and operated by people (human error). So of course it's prone to malfunctioning from time to time.
Now this would be my comment. I was under the impression the doors are not automatic and somebody had to physically push the button to close them. I would send an email to Disney to let them know this happened. Disney seems to be having a lot of issues with the monorail system at this time and it may be time for the management staff to move on. On our last trip a older gentleman slipped and fell as he was getting on the train. The station CMs just stood there and watched while other guests picked him up. They did not talk to him nor even checked on him... I guess they did not want to go though the investigation that i assume Disney does when something happens... We our selves had an issue with a station CM who insisted we squeeze our wheel chair onto a full car. When we did not want to and he got nasty. Most of the station CMs are great, i like to talk to them between trains and they are usually friendly and interesting but you do get one here and there that just isn't on the ball or seems to not care. The OP should send an email to Disney to let them know it happened. I would bet it was never reported.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: