Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
troyseyfert
Mouseketeer

 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 97

Scary experience on the monorail from our trip...

Hello everyone...

My wife and I just returned from a GREAT trip at the Walt Disney World resort.

However, we had a scare the last couple days we were there. My wife is close to 6 months pregnant and we were riding the monorail to go see Wishes at Magic Kingdom.

On the monorail we were on, it was taking a while for the monorail to actually open up the door...it seems like they were trying to shift to line up to the metal gates?

Finally, the doors opened and everyone was getting out. My wife and I were on the tail end of the crowds. All of a sudden, the doors closed right in front of our faces, leaving us trapped. The people right next to us had a double stroller and the door closed right in the middle of a double stroller...there was also a little girl approaching and getting in and the doors closed on her and she was screaming and crying because she was trapped.

It could have been a terrible experience if my wife would have just walked out in the middle when the doors were closing and it could have smashed into her belly.

So, the monorail people were trying to get everything figured out. Finally, they got the doors open. However, NO ONE checked to see if we were ok or did anything to try to make us feel better. My wife was shaken up the entire night. The people with the double strollers were complaining to the monorail people and asked, "What are you going to do for us now that you have made all my family nervous?" It was not a pretty sight.

My wife and I are now a little paranoid when exiting monorails because of what happened. So, just letting you all know, monorails can break down at any time and sensors can break down so be cautious when walking off monorails from now on.
troyseyfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!
 
Robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the Magic Mirror, I'm closer than I appear.
Posts: 76,299

Sorry that happened.
__________________
.


.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
chall0415
Earning My Ears
 
chall0415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 44

that is scary. I'm sorry you had to go through that but glad everyone is ok.
chall0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran
 
PatMcDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,748

I know this will sound strange, but I am always ready for the doors to shut on me, because the NYC subway doors do this (or at least they used to)..... but I recognize that many people are not used to train like doors. In the city, you can push back on the shutting doors and they re-open.

And the monorail is so short in comparison, and of course they have CMs watching the doors, that I would not expect this to happen (unless there was a malfunction as you described).
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran
 
ArwenMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,734

Very scary. Glad to hear everyone is ok.

We were just there and I was very nervous riding the monorail after hearing the story of the people getting stuck that night for three hours and not being able to get out until they towed it.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 21,721

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyseyfert View Post

So, the monorail people were trying to get everything figured out. Finally, they got the doors open. However, NO ONE checked to see if we were ok or did anything to try to make us feel better. My wife was shaken up the entire night. The people with the double strollers were complaining to the monorail people and asked, "What are you going to do for us now that you have made all my family nervous?" It was not a pretty sight.
I'm not trying to make light of what happened. I can bet it was scary! However, I don't see why WDW has to do something for you because you are nervous. Would a fist full of Fast Passes make you less nervous? Would a free meal make you less nervous using the monorail?

Why is it that everything that goes wrong warrants compensation?
__________________
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
ghtx
DIS Veteran
 
ghtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Posts: 3,878

At least a snake didn't fall on your lap and bite you in the crotch.
__________________
-----
BLT Jan 2014; BLT Oct 2012; SSR Feb 2010; BWV May 2008; SSR June 2005; Earlier: OKWx3, Treehouse Villas (old version), CR, Poly, GF
ghtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
troyseyfert
Mouseketeer

 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I'm not trying to make light of what happened. I can bet it was scary! However, I don't see why WDW has to do something for you because you are nervous. Would a fist full of Fast Passes make you less nervous? Would a free meal make you less nervous using the monorail?

Why is it that everything that goes wrong warrants compensation?
Maxiesmom,

You should read my OP...I never requested anything. I just wish that someone would have shown CARE and CONCERN about what happened. Wouldn't any normal human being want that to happen?

The OTHER family were the ones who had asked that...and when you have little kids and a situation that is scary like that, I do feel that they deserve something because of a scary situation like that. I don't know what they did for him.

And, even though you felt like you were making light of the situation, you are not being very sensitive to it. I bet you $1,000,000 of that was one of YOUR kids, you would be going off on someone. Enough said. Maybe you should pay attention to your tone before you start trying to go off on a tangent and try to create "drama" in this thread.
troyseyfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
troyseyfert
Mouseketeer

 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
At least a snake didn't fall on your lap and bite you in the crotch.

And that was not very sensitive. It could have been serious. What do you think warrants sympathy? That my wife's stomach got pushed in to the door and we lost the baby or had to give an emergency birth?

C'mon people.
troyseyfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize
 
BayouMickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Paradis, La.
Posts: 3,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyseyfert View Post
And that was not very sensitive. It could have been serious. What do you think warrants sympathy? That my wife's stomach got pushed in to the door and we lost the baby or had to give an emergency birth?

C'mon people.
So what you are saying is you posted this to get sympathy?
The guy was making a joke regarding another post. I understand you and your wife were mildly traumatized. I'm sorry it happened to you. Maybe PP was trying to make you smile for a minut brief second to get your mind off of what happened.
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
DisReno
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 135

I think people (like you) look at Disney with $ signs in their eyes. These have been some of my experiences at Disney:

* The doors at Star Tours closed while people were exiting-My mom was trapped inside, causing her to pound on the door and my 3 year old son to cry. It was sort of funny.

*Same trip-Same 3 year old son. He wet the bed, and when we returned to our resort, we found his sheets had not been changed. No big deal, they brought us sheets and we changed our own.

My now 79 year old Mom has tripped, slipped and even fallen at Disney World. She had a dissy spell. We handled it.

I have never expected Disney to be perfect or to give me a free, all expense paid trip to the World because "something could have or almost happened", God forbid.

So, with 67 posts, you're telling us what "could" have happened?
DisReno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
bellebud
DIS Veteran
 
bellebud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,417

that is definitely very scary. I'd be afraid of the monorail starting to move w/ someone caught in the door.

At Great Wolf Lodge once, a friend we were there with got her arm stuck in the elevator door. She put her arm in the way of the door to hold it for someone, and the sensor didn't work and it closed on her arm. She was very scared. At Great Wolf, kids are using the elevator alone all the time, so you'd think the sensors would be extra, extra sensitive.

Like another poster, I'm always thinking the doors on anything can close at anytime. Always hyper-aware of it, but doesn't mean it can't happen to me.

Sorry that happened to you guys.
bellebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #13
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 21,721

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyseyfert View Post
Maxiesmom,

You should read my OP...I never requested anything. I just wish that someone would have shown CARE and CONCERN about what happened. Wouldn't any normal human being want that to happen?

The OTHER family were the ones who had asked that...and when you have little kids and a situation that is scary like that, I do feel that they deserve something because of a scary situation like that. I don't know what they did for him.

And, even though you felt like you were making light of the situation, you are not being very sensitive to it. I bet you $1,000,000 of that was one of YOUR kids, you would be going off on someone. Enough said. Maybe you should pay attention to your tone before you start trying to go off on a tangent and try to create "drama" in this thread.
No, I don't think I would "go off" because of monorail malfunction. I wouldn't be happy but I would also be aware it was not the fault of any of the CMs in my vicinity. "Going off" on someone who had nothing to do with the problem would only make me look like I was crazy. I also don't think anyone was owed anything. But unfortunately there are people who jump up and demand compensation for every bump in the road.
__________________
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #14
DisReno
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 135

And, ok, LOL, I only have 71 posts, but under my old name, I had over 2000.

The thing is...when a company expresses "concern" that's admitting liability, and they are just not going to do that.

Move on, get over it, but don't expect sympathy from this Board because everyone loves Disney and will not see your point of view or like your post.
DisReno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #15
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize
 
BayouMickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Paradis, La.
Posts: 3,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisReno View Post
And, ok, LOL, I only have 71 posts, but under my old name, I had over 2000.

The thing is...when a company expresses "concern" that's admitting liability, and they are just not going to do that.

Move on, get over it, but don't expect sympathy from this Board because everyone loves Disney and will not see your point of view or like your post.
not true, I do sympathize to an extend..
Problem is, these type of post fall into 2 categories..
a) poster wanting sympathy
or
b) poster is trying to stir up drama
as time has taught us on the dis or any forum for that matter, it's best to be gun shy.
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.