Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
spaceranger1217
If I had my way I would live in the castle :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNMAMADIS View Post
Are you planning on stopping overnight? If so, you may want to reconsider flying. I estimated the cost of stopping for one night each way, tolls, gas, and some food (I planned on packing a lot, maybe one meal out). By the time I added all that up, I realized we were saving less than $100 by driving. With two small children, the $100 wasn't worth it.
Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately the difference for me is alot more than $100. The airfare ranges between 350-425 each...without us stopping the night one ticket could pay for our drive. Also the price of rentals is CRAZY!!!! I really do wish we could fly but the math just doesn't add up.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #17
spaceranger1217

Thanks to all that replied!!! My pc was hacked and I still haven't wanted to use it since I know its been compromised . I finally got that chance to come on here so I apologize for the delay.

I just started working on the numbers again and the airfare and rental rates are KILLERS!!! I cant get over how high the prices are. I have even played with the idea of renting one way but the savings just don't pan out. I really would rather fly for all the obvious reasons but driving seems like its the only way to go.

I'm thinking we will drive straight down leaving northern jersey at like 7pm. this way the baby will most likely sleep most of the trip. this would hopefully put us at wdw around noon. I think we will save the stop over for the way back since I found that leg of the drive the roughest. Think that will work?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #18
spaceranger1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyscoob View Post
I suggest bringing a little bag of tricks for the 1 yr old. Pulling out something new to play with every 2 hours or a tablet or dvd player for movies. Even a CD filled with fun kid songs.

Anytime we stopped to fill up the tank or use the restroom everyone got out and stretched their legs. Bring lots of drinks and snacks
Thanks for the tips! I really like the idea of pulling out something new every couple of hours . We will now be 4 adults so there will always be somebody entertaining the lil one...thankfully!

Do you think its best to stop on the way down or coming back up?
Old 09-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #19
spaceranger1217

Thanks for the tips Suzyq1941!!! Last time my DH and I drove down we just packed up a cooler with some food and drinks. I was thinking about doing the same thing this time but may have to start considering other options since we are 4
Old 09-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #20
spaceranger1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheLight View Post
Not sure where you are in NJ, but with the $9 fare club we are flying out of Atlantic City airport for only $72 per person total. Which for you with a lap child would be pretty affordable.
We live about 2 and a half hours away from AC and I just played with the numbers and the flight would cost us $1663 I wouldn't mind the drive at all since we could turn it into a little bit of an extra vacation but the airfare makes me want to run and cry!! lol and that's not including the cost of luggage. I will keep playing with numbers because I know the numbers do fluctuate...fingers crossed!
Old 09-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #21
mjmyers10
Mouseketeer

When we drive, we leave the Philly area around 3 am. We are in WDW by dinner time. For our cruise, we are stopping in Jacksonville the night before the cruise. We drove to Hilton Head with my 15 month old daughter this summer and made the drive home in a straight shot. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on the iPad was a life saver.
mjmyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #22
spaceranger1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmyers10 View Post
...and made the drive home in a straight shot. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on the iPad was a life saver.
What time is a good time to leave WDW to start drive back?
Old 09-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #23
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilby View Post
When you fly from NJ it takes less than 3 hours. I can go for 3 hours without food so I have no idea why anyone would include it in comparing costs. The reason most people include it in the cost of driving is because they wind up stopping at restaurants which cost a lot more than eating at home.
I would leave on the same day whether I fly or drive. Unless we get free dining, food costs have to be figured in either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceranger1217 View Post
What time is a good time to leave WDW to start drive back?
How many hours will it take you? Have you checked out the mileage and estimated times on some of the mapping websites?
Old 09-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #24
mjmyers10
Mouseketeer

We usually leave in the morning around 9 or 10. The drive back sucks. The last time we drove to WDW, we took the auto train back.
mjmyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: