Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #16
pennyg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GR8DISNEYFAN View Post
I am right there with you. We are leaving in 68 days and I am trying to do the same thing. I know it will be a long time for me to reach my goal weight, but I am using this trip as an incentive to get started. I too want to have more energy and stamina to walk around the parks. And I also suffer from plantar fasciitis. To help my PF I make sure I am constantly stretching my heels by flexing my feet back as often as I can, several times a day, even before getting out of bed in the morning, and after walking I will ice my heels occasionally. Ibuprofen also helps. I try to walk every evening, I can't do the treadmill, 20 minutes feels like an eternity to me, so I walk my dog. I have done this before so I know it works, but as soon as I stop I just relaps. I started with a 20 minute walk, in your case it could be 10. I make sure I stretch and warm up before, especially my heels. I walk as vivoursly as possible, the same exact distance every day. I hate every second of it, but I try to think of our Disney vacation along the way and sometimes that helps. At the end of the 20 minutes I was pooped! Eventhough I hated the walk while I was doing it, I felt good afterward. After about 4 days I found it was getting easier so I added another block and another 5 minutes. Eventually I will add the hill by my house. Its amazing how fast you can build your endurance, although it is not easy. The problem I have is that if I don't keep it up, I loose it as fast as I gained it. I once heard a thin lady telling her story of her weight loss journey, she said that when she started, she was so obese and out of shape it was all she could do to walk around her car. But she kept walking circles around her car until it got easier and then increased it to a block, then eventually a mile and so on. I am up to 30 minutes and almost ready to start walking up my hill and am hoping to be down 20 pounds before November 16. Just hang in there and just think about getting through today. It really helps to read other peoples success stories, I hope to be reading yours. Good Luck!
How encouraging! I'm so glad you are increasing your walk length and I can't wait to hear when you conquer your hill. Right now it is so hot here I can barely walk to get the mail (I'm not in FL but our heat runs in the 90s with high humidity this time of the year) so the treadmill will have to do. I am listening to a book on tape right now, but I have one of those portable DVD players that I can use to watch videos. It helps the time pass. Tomorrow I am going to try to pass 10 minutes even if it is only 11.

I suffered terribly from my plantar fasciitis for three years and the only thing that ever made the pain go away was falling and breaking my leg and spraining the opposite ankle. I had to sleep with both feet in splints for a while and it kept my foot bent and stretched it out. While I am happy to be pain free for the most part, I wouldn't suggest breaking bones as a cure.
pennyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #17
pennyg
Mouseketeer

Got a mile walk in today! Think I'm going to need a better pair of shoes.

Anyone else?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #18
1GR8DISNEYFAN
Mouseketeer

A mile is great! I think I am doing just a little over a mile. I know good shoes can make a huge difference. I bought a comfortable pair of shoes last year at Marshalls that are great. In our area Marshalls has excellent deals on athletic shoes.

I feel really motivated right now so I must take advantage of it. I made a new play list to listen to on my ipod while I am walking and it really energizes me. I really want to loose that 20 pounds before Nov. 16. (I will still have 60 more after that). I decided to try something different. The other day on the news they had a story about a young woman who took a picture of herself once a month in the same outfit for a year while she lost 100 pounds. The pictures were amazing and so motivating. So even though I hate to be in pictures, I decided to do that myself. I chose a pair of bike shorts and fitted t-shirt to wear, something that I would never wear out in public because it shows every bump and bulge. I am going to take my photo every 2 weeks. I don't plan on seeing much of a change the first month, but hopefully after that I will start to see a difference. I hope to see all those bumps and bulges get smaller and eventually be gone. Sometimes it is hard to see the physical changes, so I think by documenting them in a photo it will help me stay motivated.

By the way, I feel like we have some things in common, 3 years ago I fell and fractured my knee and tore my ACL. It was so awful to be incapacitated. Since then am so fearful of falling, I am pretty sure that if I had not been so over weight I would not have sustained the injury I did. Here I am 3 years later and still trying to take the weight off. I am about 10 years older than you and I just want to stress to you to try to do this now, because the older you get, the harder it gets. Now is the time to do it!

Like you said, as uncomfortable or painful as may be to walk and exercise, it's not as bad as laying in bed with a fracture. That's what I am going to keep reminding myself.

Good Luck, I will be checking in on you.
Grew up going to Disneyland at least once a year, Disneyland AP holder since 1996, 1989 WDW off site, 2004 Yaght Club, 2006 Poly, 2008 Poly, 2011 Bonnett Creek, 2012 ASMO, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 ASMU

1GR8DISNEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #19
pennyg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GR8DISNEYFAN View Post
A mile is great! I think I am doing just a little over a mile. I know good shoes can make a huge difference. I bought a comfortable pair of shoes last year at Marshalls that are great. In our area Marshalls has excellent deals on athletic shoes.

I feel really motivated right now so I must take advantage of it. I made a new play list to listen to on my ipod while I am walking and it really energizes me. I really want to loose that 20 pounds before Nov. 16. (I will still have 60 more after that). I decided to try something different. The other day on the news they had a story about a young woman who took a picture of herself once a month in the same outfit for a year while she lost 100 pounds. The pictures were amazing and so motivating. So even though I hate to be in pictures, I decided to do that myself. I chose a pair of bike shorts and fitted t-shirt to wear, something that I would never wear out in public because it shows every bump and bulge. I am going to take my photo every 2 weeks. I don't plan on seeing much of a change the first month, but hopefully after that I will start to see a difference. I hope to see all those bumps and bulges get smaller and eventually be gone. Sometimes it is hard to see the physical changes, so I think by documenting them in a photo it will help me stay motivated.

By the way, I feel like we have some things in common, 3 years ago I fell and fractured my knee and tore my ACL. It was so awful to be incapacitated. Since then am so fearful of falling, I am pretty sure that if I had not been so over weight I would not have sustained the injury I did. Here I am 3 years later and still trying to take the weight off. I am about 10 years older than you and I just want to stress to you to try to do this now, because the older you get, the harder it gets. Now is the time to do it!

Like you said, as uncomfortable or painful as may be to walk and exercise, it's not as bad as laying in bed with a fracture. That's what I am going to keep reminding myself.

Good Luck, I will be checking in on you.
That picture thing sounds pretty good. I'm looking forward to you compilation when you reach your goal!
Old 09-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #20
pennyg
Mouseketeer

Walked almost 30 minutes today and I'm down a little over 2lbs.

Anyone else?
Old 09-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #21
Frankiemack
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyg View Post
Walked almost 30 minutes today and I'm down a little over 2lbs.

Anyone else?
I walked 1.7 miles at lunch! Weather was beautiful and I got a break from work. I work in a large office complex and have a friend that walks the grounds at lunchtime every day. He always asks me to join. Recently I have been brining my sneakers and partaking.
Frankiemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #22
pennyg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankiemack View Post
I walked 1.7 miles at lunch! Weather was beautiful and I got a break from work. I work in a large office complex and have a friend that walks the grounds at lunchtime every day. He always asks me to join. Recently I have been brining my sneakers and partaking.
That is great! You got farther walking than I did.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #23
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Smile ** YA Have MY SUPPORT **

since July 24th, I have lost 51 pounds (thru 09-19-13) & feel great. This section of DISboards I am finding is a wonderful way to find ideas as well as inspiration.

My weight loss journal / journey is on my upcoming San fran, Rose Bowl adventure - just a little over half way down on page 5 - and it's listed in my signature.

Feel free to PM me, post or ask any ?'s cuz hey - I feel we are all in this together.

T.T.F.N.
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; CHRISTMAS / NYE 2014
MY "ADVENTURES N WALT DISNEY WORLD & NASSAU BAHAMAS OVeR CHRISTMAS /NYE 2015" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT

Last edited by knewton64; 09-20-2013 at 06:46 AM.
knewton64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #24
pennyg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knewton64 View Post
since July 24th, I have lost 51 pounds (thru 09-19-13) & feel great. This section of DISboards I am finding is a wonderful way to find ideas as well as inspiration.

My weight loss journal / journey is on my upcoming San fran, Rose Bowl adventure - just a little over half way down on page 5 - and it's listed in my signature.

Feel free to PM me, post or ask any ?'s cuz hey - I feel we are all in this together.
Thank you!

All Stars Music January 2014
Off site October 1999
Off site October 1996
Old 09-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #25
pennyg
Mouseketeer

I haven't been walking as much as I hoped due to family illness (love those back to school sicknesses), but I am down a total of 5.8 lbs as of today.

On another note, I have cleaned my house from top to bottom, that should have burned some calories.

All Stars Music January 2014
Off site October 1999
Off site October 1996

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: