Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Worth going to Boardwalk at Night?

If I were looking for something fun to do between 8 and 11 p.m., would it be worth going to the Boardwalk resort?
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
nkereina
Wendy Darling

I'm interested in the responses you get too. I'm thinking there is more to do at DTD. We have done the boardwalk but it was in the afternoon so it was dead. I've read that its more lively at night, but the main place - Jellyrolls - doesn't get off the ground until after 9pm. Aside from the bars, not sure what else goes on...
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
nalajms
DIS Veteran

Yes, worth it. There are performers on the boardwalk near the Flying Fish to the Screen door. There are also carnival type game booths (basketball shoot, etc). And there are food stands spread through out.

Plus you can watch the Epcot fireworks there. There's also the bike rentals there. Lots of people eat outside the pizza, bakery, ice cream stores if the weather's nice.

I've never been to Jellyrolls, but DH did when he was younger. There's also a dueling piano bar across from Jellyrolls.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
jimmysmom74
DIS Veteran

Worth it, great restaurants, fun bars, great for sports fan, and street performances. I think better than DTD.
jimmysmom74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater View Post
If I were looking for something fun to do between 8 and 11 p.m., would it be worth going to the Boardwalk resort?
Depends on what you are looking for. There are several restaurants and places to grad something to eat or a cocktail. You can walk along the lake and there is a small park area. The only "entertainment" is the few Midway games there and just enjoying the weather and atmosphere. We usually go for dinner there one night and then take a short walk. Not much else (of course there is an ice cream parlor that we tend to visit).

My suggestion to you with a 3 hour chunk of time is to head to DTD and enjoy the shops and activities there.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Siriusblack
Mouseketeer

I adore the Boardwalk, we have stayed there many times, but I don't think I would make a special trip there unless I had dinner reservations nearby. DTD offers much more activity.
Siriusblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusblack View Post
I adore the Boardwalk, we have stayed there many times, but I don't think I would make a special trip there unless I had dinner reservations nearby. DTD offers much more activity.
I agree. Not worth a separate trip. If you are staying around there or have a dinner reservation, it is pretty to see at night.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Depends on what you want to do.

If your evening includes dining then Boardwalk is a good choice because of all the different restaurants there or at the nearby hotels like the Swan/Dolphin and YC/BC.

If you're just looking for an evening's entertainment, then you'll be sorely disappointed. IMHO, after about 30 minutes you'll have seen all there is and will then be wondering where to go next.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As pp's have said, the boardwalk is nice to visit as it's very pretty at night and there are performers that are fun to watch and it's nice to visit and explore the resort, as well as visit the BC and YC. I think DTD is better as far as more things to see and do (just my opinion), but the boardwalk is nice if you just want to stroll around and check things out.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
The problem with going to the BW in the evening could be transportation. There is no direct transportation from the resort to the BW. So you have to drive or take a cab or a bus to and from DTD to get to the BW and your resort.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
The problem with going to the BW in the evening could be transportation. There is no direct transportation from the resort to the BW. So you have to drive or take a cab or a bus to and from DTD to get to the BW and your resort.
definitely.

where are you staying?

if closer to DD would go with it

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalajms View Post
Yes, worth it. There are performers on the boardwalk near the Flying Fish to the Screen door. There are also carnival type game booths (basketball shoot, etc). And there are food stands spread through out.

Plus you can watch the Epcot fireworks there. There's also the bike rentals there. Lots of people eat outside the pizza, bakery, ice cream stores if the weather's nice.

I've never been to Jellyrolls, but DH did when he was younger. There's also a dueling piano bar across from Jellyrolls.
Jellyrolls is the dueling piano bar.

OP: there is definitely more to do at DTD. We love the BW area, but DTD has more to offer.
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Been there, done that, stayed across the pond at Y&B.... really not much as others have stated... Jellyrolls cover charge us enough to turn us away plus the price of drinks...

Given the choice and curiosity, I'd visit on an EPCOT evening, countries get a little boring, just mostly shops and exit out the gateway, stroll around the lake doing the resorts and head back into EPCOT to finish...

Personally, we find DTD more appeasing, interesting and more fun to be had...

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: