Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
PrincessSophiasMom
Mouseketeer

Family suites at AOA

We are planning a MUCH needed family vacation to Disney World for December 2014 and are trying to choose what kind of room we want. I need some advice!!!! Traveling with us will be ME, DH, DD (3), Mom, Sister and possible BIL. So that means 4 maybe 5 adults and a toddler. We thought about finding a resort we all liked and getting 2 seperate rooms and then I started looking the family suites at AOA. I really like the idea of us staying in a big room together and these have 2 bathrooms which would be a must with that many adults. Has anyone ever stayed in these? What did you like and dislike? Would it be accomidating enough for that many adults? I really appreciate any feedback I can get as our time is coming up soon for us to be able to book
PrincessSophiasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

The problem you will have is that you'll need to decide which adults get the separate bedroom and queen bed.

The accommodations in the living room are as follows: pull-down murphy bed that is designed to sleep two, and pull out double-size sofa.

So you will need to work out the sleeping arrangements, probably with two persons in each bed, assuming you have 6 persons. This may or may not be comfortable for all the adults in your party.

The All-Star Music resort has suites that have a bedroom with a queen bed, a pull out sofa, a pull out chair and a pull out sleeper ottoman. This might be a better configuration if your guests are not all interested in sharing a bed.

Another thing you might consider if you want everyone in one room is renting DVC points for a 2 bedroom villa.
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
PrincessSophiasMom
Mouseketeer

Sleeping 2 to a bed would be no problem since me and DH and sister and BIL are married and Mom is fine with sharing with her grandbaby. I can only assume DH and I will get the bedroom since DH snores REALLY bad lol. We are a pretty close family so I feel like we can all get along. I did not realize all star Music had family suites. I know the DVC has the 1 and 2 bedroom villas but we are not (yet ) DVC members so I dont know if those would be an option for us or not.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Piglet
Can't beat Family Love
You can't go wrong with teddy bears & chocolate
Is a very crafty challenged person but can follow directions

Our family is 5. 4 adults (DH, Myself, DD16 and Grandma) and DD7. We opted for 2 rooms because of the bed issue. Pull Outs are not that comfortable for adults. Now I have not yet stayed at AOA- but the family rooms at All Star Music, were not comfortable for our family. Plus, no one wanted to sleep with Grandma . Two rooms was definitely more comfortable for us and you can get adjoining rooms and have the door between which worked out great for us and still have the 2 bathrooms. Plus I think they cost was less for 2 rooms also.

WDW Trips
Jan 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 2012 - Pop Century
Nov 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
Nov/Dec 2010 Pop Century
Oct/Nov 2009 Pop Century
Jan 2009 - OKW
Jan 2008 - All Star Music
Oct/Nov 2007 - Pop Century
Nov 2004 - Pop Century
Oct 2003 - All Star Music
Oct 2001 - Give Kid the World Village - MAW
Nov 1999 - All Star Movies
1979 - Off Site
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You don't have to be a DVC member - you can rent points from a member. This has advantages and disadvantages - cancelling might be a problem, and you have to have a certain amount of trust in the member or in the broker (yes, there are brokers who take care of renting DVC points from members for rooms.)

A one bedroom villa won't sleep any more than 5 (and only some resorts will take 5) so you'd need a 2 bedroom if you had all 6.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
PrincessSophiasMom
Mouseketeer

OK so how do you go about renting DVC points from someone?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
detarica
Mouseketeer

I enjoyed the family suite at AoA. It is so nice to have two bath rooms and the resort is really nice. One thing I will say is that both of the beds that "pull" out were really comfortable. The couch bed was a memory foam mattress and I really liked the feel of it.

All that being said, on another trip, we opted for two regular rooms at All Star Music with a connecting door and it was very nice as well and much less expensive total than wither of the family suite options. So, check into that too.
detarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
GoofyBaby
Happily married music teacher and Disney lover extraordinaire!

Thanks so much for posting this! Although we are Pop Century lovers, we are looking at AoA for a future family trip that will include me, DH, DD 1, my mom, dad and sister. I think the layout could work for us and it would be cool to try a new resort but still be close enough to visit Pop!

3/07: Grand Californian! 5/07: Pop Century/Polynesian! 10/07: Pop Century DIS Meet! 12/08: Pop Century for MVMCP! 12/11: 1st trip w/ Hubby (& Hubby's 1st trip)!
My Disneyland Spring Break Trip Report! The Princess and The Knave Take on The World! Read My Trip Report Here!
GoofyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
southcarolinagirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSophiasMom View Post
OK so how do you go about renting DVC points from someone?
Friends of ours have used David's DVD rentals before and had a great experience. Just Google him.

southcarolinagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
PrincessSophiasMom
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=southcarolinagirl;49528896]Friends of ours have used David's DVD rentals before and had a great experience. Just Google him.[/QUOT
THANK YOU....I WILL LOOK INTO THIS AS WELL!!!
Old 09-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

How would you divide the cost of the room if you and your husband got the bedroom and everyone else was out in the living area? Splitting it evenly may cause resentment since you two would be the only ones with any privacy. Does anyone in your party sleep late? If so, having them out in the living room is going to cause some problems.

Here is the floor plan for the AoA family suite: http://yourfirstvisit.net/wp-content...-Plan-6-12.jpg
Old 09-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
PrincessSophiasMom
Mouseketeer

Not too sure how cost will be divided and the only real late sleeper in the family is my 3 year old lol. We plan to all get up and go at the same time. I see what you are saying about those sharing the living space but, thing is I am not sure if BIL is going or not and so if he does not go then my Mom and sister and DD would do good in the living area since sister and DD are night owls and they could stay up without DH distirbing their TV time with his snoring lol. Another thing we like about the family suite is the kitchenette since we will be driving and can bring our own breakfast items and have the kitchenette. I know if we get 2 seperate rooms with a connecting door we would not have the kitchenette, which would be a bummer. I am really glad to know about renting DVC points though. I am interested in looking into that.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
TillyMarigold
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting this, we have been wondering the same thing. We are planning a trip with my parents, my sister and BIL, me and DH and my DS who will be 2. (My sister and I are splitting the cost of the trip 50/50 as a 40th anniversary gift to my parents.) We would probably have my parents in the bedroom, possibly with my son in the pack & play depending on if the "younger" folks want to stay up late. But I was wondering if the pull-out sofa and Murphy bed are comfortable for adults. I'm glad to hear they are!
TillyMarigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #14
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSophiasMom View Post
Not too sure how cost will be divided and the only real late sleeper in the family is my 3 year old lol. We plan to all get up and go at the same time. I see what you are saying about those sharing the living space but, thing is I am not sure if BIL is going or not and so if he does not go then my Mom and sister and DD would do good in the living area since sister and DD are night owls and they could stay up without DH distirbing their TV time with his snoring lol. Another thing we like about the family suite is the kitchenette since we will be driving and can bring our own breakfast items and have the kitchenette. I know if we get 2 seperate rooms with a connecting door we would not have the kitchenette, which would be a bummer. I am really glad to know about renting DVC points though. I am interested in looking into that.
You can also book a 1-bedroom or 2-bedroom villa directly through Disney. It may cost more than renting points, but when you book through Disney you get daily housekeeping. When you rent points for a villa, you do not get daily housekeeping.

It sounds like AoA may be a good choice for you!
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #15
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyMarigold View Post
Thanks for posting this, we have been wondering the same thing. We are planning a trip with my parents, my sister and BIL, me and DH and my DS who will be 2. (My sister and I are splitting the cost of the trip 50/50 as a 40th anniversary gift to my parents.) We would probably have my parents in the bedroom, possibly with my son in the pack & play depending on if the "younger" folks want to stay up late. But I was wondering if the pull-out sofa and Murphy bed are comfortable for adults. I'm glad to hear they are!
See if you could rent points for a two bedroom villa, it would be a LOT more comfortable. At OKW the master bedroom has a king sized bed with its own bathroom. The other bedroom has 2 queen beds. The living room also has a pullout couch and a pullout chair. Plus it has a full kitchen and large balcony. I can not imagine being comfortable with 7 people (6 of them being adults) in a family suite at AOA.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: