DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #16
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
If it was easy to book at non-home resorts at 7 months, everyone would own only SSR.
Bill
Unless they didn't know it was easy...
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #17
cel_disney
DIS Veteran

We own at BLT and travel the first weekend of F&W (end of sept/ early October).

In 2012, we had a BLT Standard 1 bedroom booked and on our 7 month window I checked and we could have moved anywhere - including BW, BC, and AKL. We opted NOT to change because we figured since we snagged a standard room at BLT we should enjoy a trip on low points there, but going online RIGHT at 7 months, I could get a one bedroom at those places. As discusses earlier by dsruba - one bedrooms are usually the last to go so YMMV.
cel_disney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #18
misskari
Mouseketeer

I'm thankful to have found this thread, lots of great info!
misskari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #19
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

AKL is our initial contract. We reserve at the 11-month mark to get the value studios and then switch at 7-months. Consequently in 5 years we've only stayed at AKL 3 times - one was the day before a cruise so I don't know whether to count that. We've had no issue switching to our preference at the 7 month mark between January thru September. October has been an issue so we actually bought a small 55 pt contract for BCV this summer which we plan to use every other year.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #20
tomandrobin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
If it was easy to book at non-home resorts at 7 months, everyone would own only SSR.
Ouch.....That hurts!

Do you know what the cheapest resort to own and stay?

Where all of our dreams come true!

tomandrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #21
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post

Ouch.....That hurts!

I don't know for sure but I suspect AKV is close. Resale prices are not too inflated and the point value f the value rooms is great although MFs are higher and there are not a lot of value rooms.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #22
crisi
DIS Veteran

The one other thing that hasn't been mentioned - there can be a huge difference in availability if you call seven months out EXACTLY or if you don't call for a week because you were busy. Even waiting until lunch hour instead of logging into the web site when the reservations are released can make a huge difference for some rooms at some times of year.

BCV will never get any bigger, but DVC will continue to add resorts on and off site - adding resorts means adding members, and adding members means more potential competition for the existing BCV rooms. So the situation that exists today may be very different from the situation ten years from now.

There is always luck - and some people have had really good luck. Other people seem to have lousy luck.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #23
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Ouch.....That hurts!

It depends on what you value and how you value things like contract life and what your crystal balls says the dues difference will be in a decade.

SSR is considered a really good value - dues are low, the length of the contract is long, and resales can be had for cheap. It gives you few booking advantages

Dues are higher at VAKL, and the buyin cost is likely to be higher, but the value rooms, if you can get them, can offset the price. The value rooms are the big booking advantage (and concierge) but there are so few of each that even owners can have trouble at eleven months.

Likewise OKW - a lot of contracts have the shorter expiration date to factor in, but some have the longer expiration date. All the rooms at OKW are pretty good point values. The only thing you need home resort advantage for here tends to be the Grand Villas, though, so it isn't necessary to own.

BWV is a might be good value if you want the location and can book eleven months out and stay in the standard view rooms - contract life is short, dues are high, and the buyin is higher than the preceeding resorts, but its possibly the best value (if you stay in standard view rooms) of the expensive resorts. Without the standard view option, its a similar value to BCV - maybe a little worse (higher dues, but cheaper to buy, both of them, as well as VWL have the same contract end date).

Watch HH and VB - particularly VB - they are very attractive in terms of resale price - but both have short contract lives and VB in particular has very high dues - high enough to negate any savings over SSR.

I don't think anyone would consider any use of BLT, BCV or GFV a "value purchase" - UNLESS it is important for you to regularly stay there. Especially BLT standard view rooms, which seem almost non-bookable at seven months.

For us, extra years on the contract are pretty meaningless except as possible salvage value - we are old But I'd put more value on that if I were ten or fifteen years younger.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #24
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

I think it depends on several things: size of room, time of year, length of stay, resort choice, if you are ok with split stays, how far in advance you are able to book (ie exactly at 7 months or just short of 7 months, etc).

I have been checking out studio availability & if you check the website frequently, you can more than likely find 1-2 nights. Got my resale points loaded in June & was able to book (all studios): 2 nights BW view for F&W, 1 night VWL mid December followed by 1 night value @ AKL Jambo. I have also seen availability come up & disappear in an instant. We are local in FL so our schedule is flexible, stay typically 1-3 nights, and can travel up to the last minute (although I prefer to plan in advance). Even with as much luck as I have had booking under 7 months, I would still say buy where you want to stay. I know I would be disappointed if I could not stay where I wanted to. Looking forward to using home resort booking window to save points on the standard views @ BW & get some summer fun pool time in @ BCV.
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #25
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan View Post
I think it depends on several things: size of room, time of year, length of stay, resort choice, if you are ok with split stays, how far in advance you are able to book (ie exactly at 7 months or just short of 7 months, etc).

I have been checking out studio availability & if you check the website frequently, you can more than likely find 1-2 nights. Got my resale points loaded in June & was able to book (all studios): 2 nights BW view for F&W, 1 night VWL mid December followed by 1 night value @ AKL Jambo. I have also seen availability come up & disappear in an instant. We are local in FL so our schedule is flexible, stay typically 1-3 nights, and can travel up to the last minute (although I prefer to plan in advance). Even with as much luck as I have had booking under 7 months, I would still say buy where you want to stay. I know I would be disappointed if I could not stay where I wanted to. Looking forward to using home resort booking window to save points on the standard views @ BW & get some summer fun pool time in @ BCV.
But some of us don't want to move around for a week or ten days vacation. I hate that homeless feeling. Plus I like to unpack and settle in.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #26
Kcags
Mouseketeer

I agree. I would rather not hop around. It seems AK may be the best fit. With a small contract, we can stay there for at least a week on 100 points. The dues will be slightly more but i think it will be worth it to stay where we want.
Kcags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #27
DMKEDM
DIS Veteran

We've been taking 3-5 Disney trips (ranging from 5 to 8 or 9 nights each, with only one split stay in all that time) per year since 2006 when I bought our first DVC points. We rarely can plan a trip 11 months out, and only about half the time is it possible to do 7 months out.

We love all the DVC resorts, so our "preferences" generally come down to how long it's been since we were last at any given resort...occasionally, there's a real preference/need for one particular resort, but it's not usual.

We find that until about 5 months out, we have choices. We may encounter no availability at one or another of the smaller/near-to-park/more popular resorts, but where one is unavailable, another is usually available. I've gotten BLT SV and LV, BWV SV and GV, BCV, OKW (including HH), etc. Quite likely I can't choose among all of those-but rarely are all of them unavailable. We stay at SSR by choice rather than by necessity (because it's all that's available) far more often than not...I think we've only wound up at SSR due to unavailability elsewhere only twice...

Which is not to say there's never ever an availability issue. But usually there isn't (keeping in mind that I rarely "have to have" a particular resort). There has been only one trip where I couldn't get a room I wanted (wound up with one of two rooms I needed at the Dolphin that trip)...

Between five months and two months out, availability is MUCH more limited.

But, from two months out forward, there's usually more availability than there is at five or four or three months out. (One year, I had points in holding (from a trip canceled due to the "Snowmaggedon blizzard" and got 5 nights in April at BLT/SV with about 6 weeks notice)--Not as much choice as at 7 months out, but considerably more than "in the middle" booking times.

Now, this is not a scientific survey. But it's my experience over 7 years and more than 30 trips, so it's probably not "just luck" either.

FWIW...

Last edited by DMKEDM; 09-12-2013 at 06:52 PM.
DMKEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #28
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcags View Post
I agree. I would rather not hop around. It seems AK may be the best fit. With a small contract, we can stay there for at least a week on 100 points. The dues will be slightly more but i think it will be worth it to stay where we want.
AKL is a large DVC property. Unless you want value or club level, you should be able to book there at 7 months.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #29
murphy7573
Earning My Ears

Booked 7 days at BWV studio at 11 months for late November 2013. At 7 months was able to change my rez to VWL studio. Still keeping my seven nights intact. There are possibilities of finding somewhere else to stay at the 7 month mark, including studios !
murphy7573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #30
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
But some of us don't want to move around for a week or ten days vacation. I hate that homeless feeling. Plus I like to unpack and settle in.
I understand. We also would rather stay at 1 resort but don't mind split stays. This year, we are just excited to be DVC owners & be at Disney for the holidays & MVMCP. I think home resort advantage is especially important for stays longer than a couple days. The great thing about DVC is that it offers something for everyone's unique situation.

I really think the biggest factors are: size of room, time of year, length of stay, resort choice, if you are ok with split stays, how far in advance you are able to book (ie exactly at 7 months or just short of 7 months, etc).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: