facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #13
pennyg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GR8DISNEYFAN View Post
I am right there with you. We are leaving in 68 days and I am trying to do the same thing. I know it will be a long time for me to reach my goal weight, but I am using this trip as an incentive to get started. I too want to have more energy and stamina to walk around the parks. And I also suffer from plantar fasciitis. To help my PF I make sure I am constantly stretching my heels by flexing my feet back as often as I can, several times a day, even before getting out of bed in the morning, and after walking I will ice my heels occasionally. Ibuprofen also helps. I try to walk every evening, I can't do the treadmill, 20 minutes feels like an eternity to me, so I walk my dog. I have done this before so I know it works, but as soon as I stop I just relaps. I started with a 20 minute walk, in your case it could be 10. I make sure I stretch and warm up before, especially my heels. I walk as vivoursly as possible, the same exact distance every day. I hate every second of it, but I try to think of our Disney vacation along the way and sometimes that helps. At the end of the 20 minutes I was pooped! Eventhough I hated the walk while I was doing it, I felt good afterward. After about 4 days I found it was getting easier so I added another block and another 5 minutes. Eventually I will add the hill by my house. Its amazing how fast you can build your endurance, although it is not easy. The problem I have is that if I don't keep it up, I loose it as fast as I gained it. I once heard a thin lady telling her story of her weight loss journey, she said that when she started, she was so obese and out of shape it was all she could do to walk around her car. But she kept walking circles around her car until it got easier and then increased it to a block, then eventually a mile and so on. I am up to 30 minutes and almost ready to start walking up my hill and am hoping to be down 20 pounds before November 16. Just hang in there and just think about getting through today. It really helps to read other peoples success stories, I hope to be reading yours. Good Luck!
How encouraging! I'm so glad you are increasing your walk length and I can't wait to hear when you conquer your hill. Right now it is so hot here I can barely walk to get the mail (I'm not in FL but our heat runs in the 90s with high humidity this time of the year) so the treadmill will have to do. I am listening to a book on tape right now, but I have one of those portable DVD players that I can use to watch videos. It helps the time pass. Tomorrow I am going to try to pass 10 minutes even if it is only 11.

I suffered terribly from my plantar fasciitis for three years and the only thing that ever made the pain go away was falling and breaking my leg and spraining the opposite ankle. I had to sleep with both feet in splints for a while and it kept my foot bent and stretched it out. While I am happy to be pain free for the most part, I wouldn't suggest breaking bones as a cure.
pennyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: