DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #16
NHTikiBeckie
DIS Veteran
 
NHTikiBeckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 1,798

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd43 View Post
I fully understand why people buy resale. It is worth it for many. However, it has always started with the premise it saves money.

However, when two people post the cost difference between resale and direct is worth $0.00 for them they are stating they would pay the same amount for a resale contract as a direct contract. Saving money is, somehow, not relevant to them buying resale.

It is taking the "resale is the best thing since slice bread" comments around here to the extreme.

Resale is about saving money. If you are not saving material money (as measured by the individual making the decision) do not bother with resale. That is common sense advice for new DVC buyers.
I see your point
__________________


Disney World videos I made!

http://vimeo.com/7316001 (MGM & Animal Kingdom)

http://vimeo.com/7315073 (Epcot)

http://vimeo.com/7316111 (Magic Kingdom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjHXWMp1uhI (Christmas and Fun outside the parks)
NHTikiBeckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #17
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
The first question one should ask themselves is whether to buy at all.
This is probably the single most important piece of advice any of us could possibly give to any prospective buyer.

It is also THE essential first step in the decision process which is probably skipped more than 50% of the time. People get blinded by pixie dust and never even consider whether there is another way to enjoy it -- much less whether there is a better way to enjoy it.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #18
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,096

Just for the record, I have bought both direct and resale. I bought resale first. Later there was an excellent, honest promotion at SSR and I purchased a 120-point add-on direct.

Obviously, whether or not the speed and relative certainty of a direct purchase is worth anything is a subjective, personal decision.

To me, direct is not worth any premium -- but I am comfortable with purchasing from most of the "Big 4" resellers. I live in Florida, so I am well aware of the regulatory environment for timeshare sales and real estate brokers, and I have also dealt with several of the resale brokers -- so I have a level of comfort some would not have.

It is also my personal opinion is that speed is the enemy of judgement in a timeshare purchase...especially for first-time purchasers.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #19
DougEMG
DIS Veteran
 
DougEMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,605

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
To me, it's worth $0.00.

I look at buying DVC the same way I'd look at buying a car. If one dealer will sell me the same car for $1,000 less than another, I'd buy the best deal. The only difference with DVC is the savings are MUCH greater than my example.

The restrictions on resale points are, IMHO, a blessing in disguise for prospective buyers because they force us to focus on the real value of DVC, not the timeshare salesman's spiel. If you research the points costs, additional cash fees and limitations of the restricted options, I think you'll realize very quickly that they are worthless.

The real value is using your points for DVC stays, and everything else is just gravy -- and none of those "perks" are guaranteed to either direct or resale owners, BTW.

The only real advantage I see to buying direct is buying a very small contract that you can't find on the resale market.

People cite getting your points right away rather than waiting for the resale process. If I were spending $20,000 or so on a timeshare, I'd wonder how really important that 6-8 weeks delay was in the context of a 30-50 year ownership.

Is a quick reservation really worth it? If they think so, maybe they might want to slow things down a little and think about what they're doing.

Another common "benefit" of buying direct is to buy at new resorts before resales start popping up. Really? Why not just buy something else resale for half the price and book at the new resort at 7 months?

I think the real reason many purchase direct is because they have to finance and Disney has easy (but very expensive) financing. They'll give you a million "justifications," but that's the reason.

Incidentally, there's another almost identical thread here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3168856
I agree with you.
__________________



DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #20
nd43
Disney Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
All else being the same (ease of the process, cost, points, timing) I'd agree with the zero. You get NOTHING of value from having bought resale vs retail if points, resort, etc are all the same. As you point out there are potential method savings which might translate to a simpler and quicker process and that does have some potential value though, IMO, not very much. I don't think there's any real difference in risk done appropriately. And there are other factors such as availability, home resort, number of points and the fixed week issue. IN some cases one can actually get a better contract (more points=loaded) resale than retail.
Dean, to say this, you would have to insist that any future risk of a direct or resale contract having new restrictions or being excluded from future benefits is equal. That does not follow common sense IMO. If you paid exactly the same amount, this difference in probability alone would say buy the direct contract. Even if the difference in probability was 1%, you should buy the direct one.

I would argue this difference is far greater then 1% given the business model of timeshares. So, I think this "no difference" argument has gone to the extreme and becomes very poor advice to people. If the difference in price for resale and direct becomes "meaningless" in terms of financial difference for the individual (which is clearly not the case today for many) a new buyer should buy direct for no other reason then just better future insurance against unknown changes to resale contracts or the inability to access new, still unknown direct benefits. I would argue there are more reasons then this as well, but this reason alone should be sufficient to make the value difference more then zero and tip in favor of direct.
nd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #21
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd
 
dmunsil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kirkland, WA, former home of Costco!
Posts: 742

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd43 View Post
Dean, to say this, you would have to insist that any future risk of a direct or resale contract having new restrictions or being excluded from future benefits is equal. That does not follow common sense IMO. If you paid exactly the same amount, this difference in probability alone would say buy the direct contract. Even if the difference in probability was 1%, you should buy the direct one.
I have to agree with this. At some point resale becomes less attractive than direct. For me, if I could get direct at $10/pt more than resale I'd definitely buy direct. I think at $20, it would be very hard for me to justify direct, but if presented with that option I'm not sure how I'd go. Maybe some day I'd like to go on the member cruise; I don't know. Maybe there will be some reason I want to use points for a stay at Tokyo Disneyland because the cash prices go way up for some reason but the point prices are fixed for the year. Again, I don't know whether that will ever happen, but it could, and having options is worth money.

The differences are mostly intangible convenience features, so how people value them is going to vary widely. There are definitely people who know all about resale who nonetheless buy direct, because they can afford it and they want all the options. They want to be sure that whatever happens as far as resale/direct differentiation, they'll be on the better side. I think if they make that decision with both eyes open it's silly to say they're wrong. They just made a different value assessment.
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #22
SFlaDisneyfans
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 156

For our perspective it would be a combination of difference in cost (resale to direct) with size of the purchase. 20$ per point buying 300 pts is 6000$. 20$ per point buying 50 pts is 1000$. While I wouldn't consider paying an extra 6000$ to buy direct, I might consider paying an extra 1000$ for the convenience of direct (ie.. They had points and could just give them to me).
SFlaDisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #23
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 30,762

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd43 View Post
Dean, to say this, you would have to insist that any future risk of a direct or resale contract having new restrictions or being excluded from future benefits is equal. That does not follow common sense IMO. If you paid exactly the same amount, this difference in probability alone would say buy the direct contract. Even if the difference in probability was 1%, you should buy the direct one.

I would argue this difference is far greater then 1% given the business model of timeshares. So, I think this "no difference" argument has gone to the extreme and becomes very poor advice to people. If the difference in price for resale and direct becomes "meaningless" in terms of financial difference for the individual (which is clearly not the case today for many) a new buyer should buy direct for no other reason then just better future insurance against unknown changes to resale contracts or the inability to access new, still unknown direct benefits. I would argue there are more reasons then this as well, but this reason alone should be sufficient to make the value difference more then zero and tip in favor of direct.
NO, all I have to say is that the inherent benefit is in using DVC for DVC. I say that all the time and believe it to be so. Realistically why buy resale if all else is the same (price, points, etc) however, once one owns I don't see any real difference nor do I expect any given that I believe ALL the differences that are applicable are of no real value. It's possible that could change but very doubtful. And if you go to sell at some point there is absolutely no difference. What I say is that any inherent value of being a retail buyer is minimal at best. If you want to put a minimal value on it, I'm OK with that, but any more would be unreasonable IMO. Ultimately it comes down to timing and simplicity not really to risk.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #24
bakerworld
DIS Veteran
 
bakerworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 596

At this point in our DVC life resale has no worth.

Had I been more savvy we would have purchased resale (although DH has trust and budget issues) for our initial and largest contract which isn't that large. At this point, we're only interested in ~50 pt DUY BWV contract. To find this contract on resale would require constant supervision and the ability to instantly contact the entity offering or constantly contacting resale agents to see if they can meet my specific need - which are extremely specific (unlikely between work and life ). Our circumstance diminishes resale value.

I've often seen pushed the same $$ direct will buy you 40% more resale - however, you will need to either become a renter - with all the attendant responsibilities entailed - or sell something to offset the increased AD on the points.
__________________


AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #25
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran
 
Mickey'sApprentice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Montgomery, Alabama
Posts: 4,423

I think there may be some apprehension for people new to the disboards to buy resale. I had been researching on the disboards for several months before we bought. Still, I was a little nervous on a subconscious level to send an $8000+ check in the mail to a company that I had never seen anywhere other than cyberspace.

Of course, that was 7 or 8 years ago...a lifetime in terms of internet acceptance.
__________________
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT 40th B-day Trip Report
Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #26
NHTikiBeckie
DIS Veteran
 
NHTikiBeckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 1,798

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
At this point in our DVC life resale has no worth.

Had I been more savvy we would have purchased resale (although DH has trust and budget issues) for our initial and largest contract which isn't that large. At this point, we're only interested in ~50 pt DUY BWV contract. To find this contract on resale would require constant supervision and the ability to instantly contact the entity offering or constantly contacting resale agents to see if they can meet my specific need - which are extremely specific (unlikely between work and life ). Our circumstance diminishes resale value.

I've often seen pushed the same $$ direct will buy you 40% more resale - however, you will need to either become a renter - with all the attendant responsibilities entailed - or sell something to offset the increased AD on the points.
I don't really see people telling others to buy 40% more points though...I think their point is you could buy the same amount of points you planned to for 40% less with resale.
__________________


Disney World videos I made!

http://vimeo.com/7316001 (MGM & Animal Kingdom)

http://vimeo.com/7315073 (Epcot)

http://vimeo.com/7316111 (Magic Kingdom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjHXWMp1uhI (Christmas and Fun outside the parks)
NHTikiBeckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #27
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 30,762

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTikiBeckie View Post
I don't really see people telling others to buy 40% more points though...I think their point is you could buy the same amount of points you planned to for 40% less with resale.
I agree, while many potential buyers may come up with the idea of buying more and renting (not a great idea IMO), I don't believe that's routinely recommended by anyone. What I have seen is people that said they bought a loaded contract and rented as well as I've personally recommended those looking at buying and reselling to consider simply adding on with less points (but more total).
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #28
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sApprentice View Post
I think there may be some apprehension for people new to the disboards to buy resale. I had been researching on the disboards for several months before we bought. Still, I was a little nervous on a subconscious level to send an $8000+ check in the mail to a company that I had never seen anywhere other than cyberspace.
Good point, but if the prospective buyer does even a little bit of due diligence, they can satisfy themselves that the person they are dealing with is legit.

The "big 4" resale brokers are not fly-by-nights working out of their garages. They are licensed real estate brokers, operating under very stringent laws and regulatory systems which protect the consumer.

There may be (are) differences in the quality of their experience, knowledge and competence among those brokers, but they all operate under exactly the same system as the realtors you would purchase your home through if you moved to the Orlando area. AND...under exactly the legal and regulatory requirements that govern DVC.

When you send your deposit or settlement payments in, they are handled under exactly the same laws and regulations as if you were buying a home...or buying DVC direct. There is NO difference...ZERO.

Just a little bit of research will disclose that, and should give a prospective purchaser enough confidence to buy resale.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #29
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran
 
Mickey'sApprentice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Montgomery, Alabama
Posts: 4,423

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
Good point, but if the prospective buyer does even a little bit of due diligence, they can satisfy themselves that the person they are dealing with is legit.

The "big 4" resale brokers are not fly-by-nights working out of their garages. They are licensed real estate brokers, operating under very stringent laws and regulatory systems which protect the consumer.

There may be (are) differences in the quality of their experience, knowledge and competence among those brokers, but they all operate under exactly the same system as the realtors you would purchase your home through if you moved to the Orlando area. AND...under exactly the legal and regulatory requirements that govern DVC.

When you send your deposit or settlement payments in, they are handled under exactly the same laws and regulations as if you were buying a home...or buying DVC direct. There is NO difference...ZERO.

Just a little bit of research will disclose that, and should give a prospective purchaser enough confidence to buy resale.
You do make a very good point. The big 4 are not fly by night in any respect.
__________________
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT 40th B-day Trip Report
Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #30
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 30,762

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
Good point, but if the prospective buyer does even a little bit of due diligence, they can satisfy themselves that the person they are dealing with is legit.
IMO, anyone who has done sufficient investigation to justify buying should have done enough they SHOULD be comfortable with the resale process. The reverse is true as well. IF one isn't comfortable they either haven't done sufficient investigation or have dramatic enough trust issues that they are not going to make rational decisions. There are good reasons to buy retails in some situations, just not many situations where it works out as reasonable for most new buyers and none simply because of comfort alone.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.