Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #31
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

Disney has really been cranking up the resort prices big time in the last 2-3 years. In fall 2008, on a 40% discount, we paid about $300 per night for a room in the GF main building club level. That same room, on a 35% discount, is now around $600 per night for the same off-season time frame.

That's a 100% increase in 5 years -- way higher than any increase in line with inflation (inflation essentially has been close to zero since the 2008 financial crisis).

Ticket prices have also increased more than inflation (although Disney offsets those increases somewhat for purchasers of multi-day tickets by front-loading the pass price in the first couple of days).

Finally, we get to the new Fantasyland and find that the biggest new "attraction" is really something designed to pull even more money from our pockets -- a huge special effects restaurant the price for which is not included in the astronomical cost of the pass. We've done dinner at Be Our Guest, and have absolutely no reason to ever (I mean ever) do it again. And, unless Disney starts adding real value in return for the constant and excessive resort and ticket price increases, we'll soon be saying that about the entire WDW experience.

For years, I've been resigned to the fact that WDW is expensive, but I am now getting truly price weary, and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

And, I second what grassmower said -- a cruise is a far better value than a Disney vacation these days!
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #32
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball69 View Post
I remember the deal we first got after 9-11. They were begging people to come. We paid 1700.00 week at All Star for 2 adults and 3 kids w park hopper. I checked on making another trip in Jan. 2014 for 5 days and it was 1600.00 at All Star w park hopper. If I could walk to Disney I would. lol Also, airfare has jumped the last year too.
After 9/11 they also had to shut down an entire resort (POFQ) until Disney guests got used to the idea of flying again.

Speaking of which, airfare has increased even more and faster than the resort rooms.
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #33
Texas Barbie
Mouseketeer

Oh, I don't know. We just got back from a week and for what we got, especially considering the free dining and low crowd levels, it was a heck of a deal. There's nowhere else we could have that much fun in such a short period of time. Of course, we did stay Mod.
Texas Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #34
Treehorn
Mouseketeer

Have fun on those cruises.....Until it breaks down and your waiting in line for a bologna sandwich and the person next to you is going to the bathroom in a bucket.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #35
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehorn View Post
Have fun on those cruises.....Until it breaks down and your waiting in line for a bologna sandwich and the person next to you is going to the bathroom in a bucket.

or you could be a guest a Coronado Springs where I was told that having no power was not really an issue was it?

If this is your "defense" of Disney pricing it's WEAK!

Me, I can do cruises, Europe, All Inclusives etc for less then a Disney Deluxe. And if the only defense you have of Disney is this, not much of a defense is it??
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #36
plumsiren
DIS Veteran

I find it hard to sympathize with anyone booking CL at a deluxe. Yes, prices have increased significantly, but maybe people were also reaching a little beyond their means in the past, and Disney (correctly) assumed people would decide they had to have certain amenities and would keep paying for them even at higher costs.
plumsiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #37
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumsiren View Post
I find it hard to sympathize with anyone booking CL at a deluxe. Yes, prices have increased significantly, but maybe people were also reaching a little beyond their means in the past, and Disney (correctly) assumed people would decide they had to have certain amenities and would keep paying for them even at higher costs.
I won't even book a Disney Moderate for their pricing... They want WHAT for a room with exterior corridors, so so service etc... After I pick myself up off the floor from the laughter I go find hotels that are more in line with reality. When a "moderate" costs more then the Swan/Dolphin, Hilton Bonnet Creek etc I know where Fantasyland really is..

Disney has an audience who will pay anything for "magic" but for me the "magic" has been replaced by the "rip off fairy" And really the only pixie dust she's giving is to Disney not to me. So I am either at the Swan/Doplhin or off site.
And no "free" dining or some "30% discount" don't help. After all Disney hotels are only 50 to 100 percent over priced so the discount doesn't get them in the realm of reality yet!
As a stockholder it's great that a lot of you are willing to overpay. As a guest I am not joining you!
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #38
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball69 View Post
I remember the deal we first got after 9-11. They were begging people to come. We paid 1700.00 week at All Star for 2 adults and 3 kids w park hopper. I checked on making another trip in Jan. 2014 for 5 days and it was 1600.00 at All Star w park hopper. If I could walk to Disney I would. lol Also, airfare has jumped the last year too.
I went to WDW shortly after 9/11 too. It was not a planned trip. The deal was too much to pass by and I'm so glad we went. There'll probably never be as great as deals as there were like those.
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #39
mickeymyfavorite
DIS Veteran

The cost of airfare is no picnic either!
Aug 98’ ASSP ~ Aug 00’ POFQ ~ Aug 04’ POFQ ~ July 05’ POFQ ~ Nov 05’ CBR ~ July 06’ CBR ~ Nov 06’ CSR ~ July 07’ POFQ ~ Nov 07’ AKL ~ April 08’ ASMO ~ July 08' AKL ~Nov 08' SSR ~ April/May 09' CSR ~ Sept 09' BWV ~ Nov 10' CBR ~ Aug 12' AKL ~ May 13' CBR ~ July 13' POLY~ March 14' CR ~ Aug 14' POFQ ~ Oct 14'
mickeymyfavorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #40
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000HappyWishes View Post
It depends on how you want to stay. I'm perfectly content staying at a value and eating bare-minium because I'm happy to be at Disney World. For others, resort and food are huge, and they will pay for it. The prices aren't all that shocking to me. They're an annoyance, sure, but we should be grateful we all have the means to at least go to Disney in some degree. Others won't ever have that opportunity.
Absolutely agree. I am happy, just to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehorn View Post
If you cruise Carnival.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #41
Texas Barbie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
I won't even book a Disney Moderate for their pricing... They want WHAT for a room with exterior corridors, so so service etc... After I pick myself up off the floor from the laughter I go find hotels that are more in line with reality. When a "moderate" costs more then the Swan/Dolphin, Hilton Bonnet Creek etc I know where Fantasyland really is..

Disney has an audience who will pay anything for "magic" but for me the "magic" has been replaced by the "rip off fairy" And really the only pixie dust she's giving is to Disney not to me. So I am either at the Swan/Doplhin or off site.
And no "free" dining or some "30% discount" don't help. After all Disney hotels are only 50 to 100 percent over priced so the discount doesn't get them in the realm of reality yet!
As a stockholder it's great that a lot of you are willing to overpay. As a guest I am not joining you!
That's cool. Do what works for you. For us, staying onsite is the single most trip enhancing thing we can do.
Texas Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #42
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
Plus things have changed -- attendance at WDW has gone up since the 1990s, *sigh*
Actually there's no longer a way to track this - they used to report attendance broken down by WDW, DL, Paris, etc.. WDW was trending down, then they changed how they reported earnings and lumped all park attendance together so no way to determine whether an upswing in DL attendance has offset a downswing at WDW, for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeen View Post
1) Rack rate is *always* outrageous, never book at rack rate
4) The recession is over, prices are up

Disney was raising prices across the board (tickets, food, rooms) on a 10% per annum rate at the height (or depth) of the recession when inflation was 0%, and although more recently the market has trended up and housing has gained thanks to artificially low interest rates on mortgages and a high % of cash investors (who may now be exiting that market) wages are still stagnating and the jobs outlook remains abysmal - so the recession isn't really over for a lot of people.
I liken it to the frog and the boiling pot of water. Put a frog into a boiling pot of water and he'll jump out immediately. Put a frog in a comfortable pot of water and slowly raise the temperature to boiling and the frog will stay put 'till he boils to death - we frequent Disney visitors are the frogs who hopped in when the water was comfortable and we haven't noticed Disney turning up the temperature. New potential visitors are the frogs who say - ouch, that water's pretty hot.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #43
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeen View Post
1) Rack rate is *always* outrageous, never book at rack rate ( I agree it is outrageous, but for some there is no option on going when rates are less)
2) Concierge is for people with no budget issues (I have always booked CL and budget is still an issue)
3) February 1 is the beginning of busy season, higher rates (Cannot disagree with this one).
4) The recession is over, prices are up (Depends on who you listen too and the area of the country you live in. With that though, incomes have not increased with inflation.)

So, why the surprise? Look on the bright side... You could probably get a great deal on a moderate, like 25% off, during January.
I will agree on looking on the bright side when it comes to WDW. While it is expensive so is just about any other vacation destination.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #44
Dis703
DIS Veteran

We stayed CL this year and budget was still an issue for us. Perhaps not as much as for some, but we splurged to do CL and gave up other things to do so, like we decided as a couple we wouldn't exchange gifts for any holidays or birthdays all year long. And we only booked CL using a 35% AP discount as well as paying for it with Disney gift cards bought at Target with an extra 10% off using pharmacy rewards and the red card discount.

Rack rate CL would never have been in the cards for us.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #45
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLvr12 View Post
I priced out our trip for the first week in Feb, and I cannot believe how expensive things have gotten! I remember, maybe, just 5 or so years ago when you could actually get a deal at Disney.
7 nights, DP and park hopper tix for 2 adults, 2 kids CL at WL was $6330!! Not including airfare. Yikes!

What is going on?! I'm a keeping my fingers crossed for a good discount at the WL.
compared to what I am looking at ( AKL, CL, just 2 adults) you are getting a deal.. so far I am looking at close to $6k for half the number of people and that includes the salute Heroes military deal
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: