Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
dminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNMAMADIS View Post
I'm crazy about avoiding smoke for my kids' sake. I've seen quite a few areas, but maybe only one smoker. I haven't smelled it at all. And we've been at the parks late, so I haven't noticed them more at night.

The smoking area next to cinderella's castle was far more bothersome & smoke filled. I didn't realize I was going through it until too late.
I barely noticed the smokers at CSR. (just to be safe, you may want to request a room far from any smoking area)

That one by Cinderella's Castle...ugh...it seems like we inadvertently walk right through it every time.
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #17
Princess Katherine
The Yeti's Girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWToasterSquad View Post
Just quit two days ago(AGAIN) after smoking my last cigarette by the Carousel of Progress for Walt, when I was last at CSR back in May I smoked cigarettes outside my friends room probably 3-4 times, a housekeeping lady walked past and didn't even say anything. I also found a bench with an ashtray not too far by probably two minutes away. Honestly I've stayed at All Star Sports numerous times and have never had any scuffles over me smoking in front of my room. Granted I usually did it at a reasonable hour(middle of the day so everyone is at the parks, late at night, etc.) but even in the morning when people are getting up and ready I never had any problems. To me, a Disney Smoker's Paradise would be a resort with a balcony so I wouldn't even have to go to a DSA(Magic Kingdom/Epcot resorts, or like the Fort Wilderness cabins with the outside bench) or anything. But that's just because I'm lazy.
Smoking is not allowed on balconies or patios. I have reported a number of people I have caught.

Katie
Princess Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
Patience
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWToasterSquad View Post
Just quit two days ago(AGAIN) after smoking my last cigarette by the Carousel of Progress for Walt, when I was last at CSR back in May I smoked cigarettes outside my friends room probably 3-4 times, a housekeeping lady walked past and didn't even say anything. I also found a bench with an ashtray not too far by probably two minutes away. Honestly I've stayed at All Star Sports numerous times and have never had any scuffles over me smoking in front of my room. Granted I usually did it at a reasonable hour(middle of the day so everyone is at the parks, late at night, etc.) but even in the morning when people are getting up and ready I never had any problems. To me, a Disney Smoker's Paradise would be a resort with a balcony so I wouldn't even have to go to a DSA(Magic Kingdom/Epcot resorts, or like the Fort Wilderness cabins with the outside bench) or anything. But that's just because I'm lazy.
Whether anyone said anything to you about smoking outside your room is irrelevant. Just because no one said anything does not make it ok and I bet people were bothered but afraid to say anything. And why would there be any "scuffles" over you smoking in a nondesignated area? You were doing it and you were in the wrong. Nothing to scuffle about, you shouldn't have been doing it. Period. In general, nonsmokers do not wish to share or smell your smoke so go somewhere where others around you do not mind, like the smoking areas. You broke the rules and it was very inconsiderate of you to smoke in non designated areas, especially when one was available to you only 2 minutes away from your room.

Last edited by Patience; 09-08-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #19
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marielynn724 View Post
We stayed at CSR for 8 days last August and we encountered this problem. There was a convention going on for 2 or 3 days at the beginning of our trip and the smokers were outside of El Centro smoking in the area where the outdoor bar is. This is the only place to walk through to get to everything in the main building. It was pretty gross to have to go through it all the time, but after they left we didn't have this problem anymore. They really need to designate and out-of-the-way area for smokers that won't bother families and others who don't want to be exposed to that.
Everyone should have to follow the rules re: not smoking outside of DSAs. Having said that, I think that Disney has done a great job of accommodating smokers and non-smokers alike.

I don't smoke, but I certainly don't think that smokers should have to be exiled to the far reaches of Never Land just so that no non-smoker ever has to get a whiff of smoke. Disney has struck a good balance, IMO, because bottom line, smokers' money is just as good as non-smokers' money.
OurBigTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #20
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Last time we were at CSR, we were the only smokers. There's a DSA near 8B where we smoked. It was only a couple of times in the evenings. No one even walked by us.
Most smokers try not to offend nonsmokers and will stick to DSAs.
There are smokers who are rude and will smoke wherever just as there are nonsmokers who go into DSAs and get upset that people are smoking. We have never seen any smokers outside of a DSA at any of the resorts and we've stayed at almost all of them.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #21
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marielynn724 View Post
This is the only place to walk through to get to everything in the main building.
It's possible to avoid the smokers behind El Centro, although it means going out of your way. Disney tends to put DSAs along the edges of the lakes, so usually heading over to the sidewalk along the parking lot works. Coming in from the Cabanas side, just turn left after that last bridge to go around front and come in the main entrance under the dome. It's a little trickier but also doable coming in from the Casitas side.

It's a bummer that the smokers get the nice lake view and the nonsmokers get the parking lot, but the smokers probably spend more time standing out there so I guess Disney offers them a nice view for their trouble.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #22
DizneyNutz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
I watched the DIS Unplugged review of CSR and they said something to the effect of it being a Smoker's Paradise. Apparently, because of it being a convention hotel, it has a lot of smoking areas and they acted as if you couldn't take a walk anywhere without passing smokers. I have asthma and avoid cigarette smoke like the plague. This is really worrying me.

What has been your experience at CSR?
DW and I stayed there around 2008. We were on the second floor around to the left of the main office. Every time we would walk the covered walkway around to the stairs we would see a pile of cigarette butts in the corner next to the railing where someone was stepping outside their room and smoking quite heavily due to the number of discarded butts. It was trashy and helped (along with a few other things) form our opinion of the resort itself. We never actually saw the smoker in action but the butts would be removed then replaced again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: