Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
shawsy
Earning My Ears

Disney Dining Plans

basically - are they worth it?

we want to go out into international drive etc (ill be driving) and try a few diff places to eat and not rely on resorts all the time but is it worth doing the dining plans at all?

two adults, a 10 and 6 year old.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
momofboyz3
DIS Veteran

IMHO if you are going to be eating off property as well than the dining plan might not be worth it for you. For my situation it is, my twin boys 13 eat like grown men. My ds10 eats like a teenager. They love their snacks and food. I like the convenience of it being pre-paid.
** everyone is different, I know that there is a dining plan calculator around here somewhere as I have used it ~ maybe someone else can post that link? Have a great vacation
momofboyz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

For our family, the dining plan works. We don't save a ton of money but we do save some and the convenience of knowing everything is prepaid is worth it to us. I also like knowing that it doesn't matter what we order from the menu since it's all paid ahead of time. No saying "oh that's too expensive".

I forgot to look and see if this were your first trip to WDW or not and if it said how long you were staying. Going offsite can be a bit of a hassle unless you are familiar with the area. Or, at least it is for us even though we do have a car at our disposal and have been to the area many many times.

I'd suggest that you make a spreadsheet or chart of some sort that breaks down each day you are in Disney. Then, use the menus and prices on the allearsnet site to plan our your meals. Here's the link: http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

Once you have the spreadsheet complete, total your meals (remember the menus and prices do not include tax). If you break even or come out ahead by using the dining plan, then I'd suggest purchasing it.

Like I said, we like the convenience of the plan so it works well for our family.

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Zippa D Doodah
Suffering from Fairy Alienation. Is there a program for that?
I'm such a shameless taghound!
I am an unabashed Q-tipper !

If you're going to be dining over on I-Drive then you should probably steer clear of the Dining Plan. The DP is not about saving money, but convenience. We take advantage of the "free" DP and it comes in handy because we have two teenagers who can eat like crazy sometimes.
Zippa D Doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

We like the dining plan but stay onsite. For some reason people tend to have strong opinions either way. For an easy cost comparison tool, there is a spreadsheet linked from this thread that makes estimating meal prices at different places easier and shows you whether you will save money with DDP in your situation. It is easier than adding up all of your anticipated meals on your own. Happy Planning
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
nkereina
Wendy Darling

It's worth it to us due to the convenience factor. If you want to know whether its worth it financially, the best thing to do is check the menus, add up what you would order, then add up what the dining plan costs and see which way you come out ahead. If you plan to eat off site as well, I'd guess it's not worth it financially.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

It works well for us. Although, I'll mimic the previous posters that if you're going off property you're probably better off paying out pocket.

aaarcher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Moving to the Dining Plans board..
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
shawsy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M View Post
Moving to the Dining Plans board..
oops sorry
Old 08-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
shawsy
Earning My Ears

i have been before, ac ouple times but a while ago when i was young free and single!!Lol..this is my first time with the kids. i do know my way about a bit, and used to driving over there as live din chicago for a while.....but will look into all the info you have given and go from there.....thanks all!
Old 08-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawsy View Post

we want to go out into international drive etc (ill be driving) and try a few diff places to eat and not rely on resorts all the time but is it worth doing the dining plans at all?

There are so many cheaper places to eat outside of Disney.

For 3 of us for the DDP its $180. Can the 3 of us eat cheaper then $180 a day. ABSOLUTELY.

The only way we enjoy the dining plan now is if its free or deeply discounted.

We aren't pop drinkers or dessert eaters so if we were to even pay for our disney meals out of pocket it would save us money.

If you are staying at a Disney resort grab some bagels or breakfast stuff. Use the toaster or microwave thats there in the cafeteria. People do it all the time.

Most quick service meals are under $10 and a lot of them are large and plenty of food to share.

Stop at walmart and by milk and cereal for the morning.

When our son was kids prices for dining it was ok. but now he's adult prices but still eats like a bird he can't eat his money wort if he tried.

Alot of people like the dining plan even if it doesnt save them money because your meals are"prepaid"
Family Adventures Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Cocoa Beach/Daytona/ Texas/ St Thomas USVI/ Cuba/ Belize/ Jamaica/ Bahamas/ St Maarten/ Cozumel/ Costa Maya/Puerto Vallarta/ Honduras /Dominican Republic / Cayman Islands & Many...MANY Disney Land trips & Most recently Sailed the Disney Magic[/FONT][/SIZE]
vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
nimbuscat
Mouseketeer

Agree with what most are saying above. We are basically breaking even with the dining plan and are doing it for convenience.

I recently went to the Minnesota State Fair and got really annoyed at having to shell out $5 here, $10 there, for overpriced drinks and snacks. I know Disney prices are similar, and I can really see that putting a damper on my vacation, even though I know we'd be spending about the same in the long run. It will allow us to relax and order what we want. Want a snack at the park? Sure, use a snack credit, and you won't have to listen to me gripe about that $4 bottle of water or $5 ice cream, lol.

Disneyland (day trip) - March 2005
Walt Disney World (off-site) - April 1997, July 1992
nimbuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
terri33inne
Mouseketeer

I just tried that calculator... so awesome!

For me (just myself & 6yo daughter)... it's about $10 -$20cheaper to pay out of pocket... sooooo... I'm still undecided... We're doing one table service per day several of which are character. The biggest variable is 'snacks'... I don't know if the refill mugs are factored into this spreadsheet/calculator either.

Best way to get over the end of your last trip is to start planning your next trip!
terri33inne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #14
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawsy View Post

The DDP is convenient and does work for a lot of people, but I agree with others that if you will be eating some meals off property, I would pay OOP for your food.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

It is not worth it unless you have children under 10 and want to do character meals or buffets daily, or your party will have dinner every night at a WDW restaurant (and order the most expensive items).

If you want to drive offsite to eat, the plan will not be worthwhile for you.

Snacks do not really make a huge difference in the calculation, except maybe during Food & Wine where you have the option of getting nearly $8 lobster rolls with a snack credit.

If you are not staying at a Disney resort, you will not even be eligible to get a dining plan.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: