Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
butsy113
AKV Owner

Snake on Space Mtn

Here's a crazy story for ya! This happened a few weeks ago. A co worker of mine sent her son to FL with a large group of friends and 3 parents. They rented a condo off site and were visiting Cocoa Beach, Universal, Disney, etc. before starting college this fall. While riding Space Mountain a snake literally dropped out of the ceiling right into her sons lap!! He was bitten in the groin area. The ride was shut down for 2 hours and they did find the snake.

Disney got him sent off to the clinic, but the next morning it was very swollen red and had an obvious infection that needed debridement. He texted pictures of it that morning. Right in the middle of all the red, swollen, pus filled tissue was 2 perfect fang marks. They ended up flying him home early and he has now had 2 surgeries and is doing fine.

My co worker said she wasn't surprised there being a snake, after all it is FL, and if this was going to happen to anyone it would happen to her boy. He is a freak accident magnet!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Yikes, I hope it didn't cause him problems starting school.

Maybe the real reason I don't do Space Mt (other than motion sickness). Don't like snakes at all.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Ok, the question is just how a snake got into Space Mountain and how did it manage to crawl up to a place overhead that it could drop into someone's lap? While the ride was moving? If this could happen on SM I'm not feeling real confident in any other rides either.

Hope the kid will be ok.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

If this could happen on SM; what about BTMR or Splash Mountain?
What about a real gator joining JC? Any water body in Fla can have one.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
Hunclemarco
DIS Veteran

Wow! I hope he's ok.
At the moment, in the 15 times i've been to disney, i haven't seen a snake yet...and i hope that my "luck" continues. I can't deal with them. I'm OCD already concerning them...now i'll have all that much more to think on while we're there! LOL. I agree with Deb above!

January 1979 Offsite; January 1992 POR; March 1999Honeymoon ; May 2002 CBR; May 2008 Offsite; November 2008 CBR March 2009 DVC SSR, BCV; August 2009 DVC AKV,BCV; December 2009 DVC SSR; February 2010 DVC BCV; November 2010 DVC BWV; May 2011 POP; March 2012 DCL Dream and POP; May 2012 POP; April 2013 DVC BCV; November 2013 CSR; Yacht Club, DCL Dream and BWV May 2014, SSR and AKV-Jambo September 2014
Hunclemarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
butsy113
AKV Owner

We work at a hospital so he was well taken care of and is doing well. They just had to make sure it was completely cleaned out and get some antibiotics in his system.

Just wanted to share because its one of those stories I wouldn't believe if I didn't know the people and had seen the pictures. Disney called his mom daily for almost 2 weeks checking up. I'm sure they thought she was gonna sue or something, but like she said, it's just a freak accident
Old 09-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
fabulousfive
DIS Veteran

Wish I hadn't read this. Is it really true? Maybe I'll just pretend it isn't.
fabulousfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Was the bite from a venomous snake? It would seem so, if you saw fang marks -- non venomous snakes (and some venomous snakes) don't have fangs.

If it was just infected -- as opposed to necrotic -- it could have been a "dry" bite from a venomous snake. The most common venomous snakes in the US are all pit vipers, and they have to load up to give a wet bite.

A snake falling from the beams inside Space Mountain would probably have other things on its mind!

For those asking how the snake got up there, most snakes are pretty good climbers, but they also fall a good bit.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
DreamerWDW
Doing what dreamers do

WOW

I'm glad he's ok now. I'm hoping I don't think of this story next time I ride it!!
Old 09-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

You'd be surprised how common snakes are....everywhere. I had one great me at the front door (of my house) on Friday. Of course it was non venomous. Took off faster than I could get even have a reaction. I'm sure one falling into a lap would startle it to bite, but biting is a last resort for a snake. They're instinct is to run first, but I'd imagine that is hard for a snake in a bobsled.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
turkey1031
Mouseketeer

I'm extremely afraid of snakes. Might make me rethink going on space mountain. I know the chances of happening again as slim but...
Old 09-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #12
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Disney has taken Villains week too far by bringing in Kaa.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by butsy113 View Post
Here's a crazy story for ya! This happened a few weeks ago. A co worker of mine sent her son to FL with a large group of friends and 3 parents. They rented a condo off site and were visiting Cocoa Beach, Universal, Disney, etc. before starting college this fall. While riding Space Mountain a snake literally dropped out of the ceiling right into her sons lap!! He was bitten in the groin area. The ride was shut down for 2 hours and they did find the snake.

Disney got him sent off to the clinic, but the next morning it was very swollen red and had an obvious infection that needed debridement. He texted pictures of it that morning. Right in the middle of all the red, swollen, pus filled tissue was 2 perfect fang marks. They ended up flying him home early and he has now had 2 surgeries and is doing fine.

My co worker said she wasn't surprised there being a snake, after all it is FL, and if this was going to happen to anyone it would happen to her boy. He is a freak accident magnet!
the rule
Old 09-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #14
Hollywoodhaha
After all this time? Always
Mad Hatter It's a love story, Baby just say yes

I work at space and have never heard of this happening. And no, no one has ever been decapitated on the ride either. Nor have they lost an arm from putting their hand up.

WDW College Program Alumni: Spring Advantage 2012 merchandise & Fall 2013 Space Mountain

Hollywoodhaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:03 AM   #15
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywoodhaha View Post
I work at space and have never heard of this happening. And no, no one has ever been decapitated on the ride either. Nor have they lost an arm from putting their hand up.
So the original post is completely fake?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: