Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
DisneyLvr12
Mouseketeer

I cannot believe the cost!

I priced out our trip for the first week in Feb, and I cannot believe how expensive things have gotten! I remember, maybe, just 5 or so years ago when you could actually get a deal at Disney.
7 nights, DP and park hopper tix for 2 adults, 2 kids CL at WL was $6330!! Not including airfare. Yikes!

What is going on?! I'm a keeping my fingers crossed for a good discount at the WL.
DisneyLvr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLvr12 View Post
I priced out our trip for the first week in Feb, and I cannot believe how expensive things have gotten! I remember, maybe, just 5 or so years ago when you could actually get a deal at Disney.
7 nights, DP and park hopper tix for 2 adults, 2 kids CL at WL was $6330!! Not including airfare. Yikes!

What is going on?! I'm a keeping my fingers crossed for a good discount at the WL.
Yeah, things keep going up, but there's still time for a deal to come out for your dates. With the RO discounts that came out the beginning of August, I was able to get discounts for both of our resorts in December right before Christmas (which is rare for those peak and holiday time frames), so it can (and does) happen. The current discount expires 9/15, so keep an eye out here on the boards as you might see promos for early next year coming out soon after that .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLvr12 View Post

Well, keep in mind that you are booking a deluxe resort on the concierge level. You could bring the cost down significantly by dropping CL or going to another level of resort. You can get a deal at Disney, but if you want to reserve high-end accommodations with extra perks, you have to pay for it.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
ponyboy
Gun slingin DW lover

It could be worse. If I could get us by on $6330 we'd be going twice a year!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
DisneyLvr12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Well, keep in mind that you are booking a deluxe resort on the concierge level. You could bring the cost down significantly by dropping CL or going to another level of resort. You can get a deal at Disney, but if you want to reserve high-end accommodations with extra perks, you have to pay for it.
Oh, I know, but my hubby insists on a deluxe resort. We use to get a CL room at WL for $150/night with discount about 5 years ago. That was a steal!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
Annadesu
Splash Mountain Addict

Yeah, I remember it being a lot cheaper back in the 90s... but I remember a lot of things being much cheaper back in the 90s, not just Disney. lol Traveling anywhere these days costs an arm and a leg. We're saving for our next trip to Disney over here, but honestly, it's going to be a few years before we can afford it again. Atleast new Fantasy Land will be done by then, I guess.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
kapoof
DIS Veteran

It is very expensive. Which is why we go now during the 'cheap' time of year...September and parts of January.

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
kapoof
DIS Veteran

And keep in mind, someone has to pay for the resort rehabs and new fantasy land.

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

Can't you replace CL with a good old dining plan? I think you'll save a lot of money if you skip the CL part.

Also, as other people said, if you wait for he next promotion, I'm pretty sure you will be able to get a better deal.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
DisneyLvr12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevelandry View Post
Can't you replace CL with a good old dining plan? I think you'll save a lot of money if you skip the CL part.

Also, as other people said, if you wait for he next promotion, I'm pretty sure you will be able to get a better deal.
Yes, we could. We'd still have to pay for breakfast every morning, but it'll cost no where near the amount of $ as the CL rooms. There is something awesome about being on CL with all the perks, but you definitely pay for it. I guess we'll wait and see what promos are offered for Feb - hopefully soon!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annadesu View Post
Yeah, I remember it being a lot cheaper back in the 90s... but I remember a lot of things being much cheaper back in the 90s, not just Disney.
Inflation calculators show a dollar in 1995 as equal to $1.53 today, so even if nothing else had changed, Disney rooms should cost one and a half times what they did. Which is a huge difference, IMHO.

Plus things have changed -- attendance at WDW has gone up since the 1990s, so there are more people interested in staying onsite, meaning Disney can charge more and still fill their hotels. Disney rack rates are insane, IMHO -- but they're still filling their rooms, so they have no reason to lower them. *sigh*
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

Most of the time, we don't pay for breakfast, we just use the snack credits (a lot of choices) and get coffee with our refillable mugs. It gives us more than enough food and drinks for the day.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
Inflation calculators show a dollar in 1995 as equal to $1.53 today, so even if nothing else had changed, Disney rooms should cost one and a half times what they did. Which is a huge difference, IMHO.

Plus things have changed -- attendance at WDW has gone up since the 1990s, so there are more people interested in staying onsite, meaning Disney can charge more and still fill their hotels. Disney rack rates are insane, IMHO -- but they're still filling their rooms, so they have no reason to lower them. *sigh*
In the beginning of 2012, we had a three nights/four days stay at the Polynesian resort. I think the room we had now cost 50$ more. And they are gonna jack the prices again for 2014. Don't think we'll be able to afford another Deluxe for a stay of more than two nights now...
Old 09-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

Call me crazy but that sounds like a great price for what you are getting. I guess I have become so used to the rising prices. I don't recall deluxe prices being that cheap just 5 years ago, but I guess that's just supply and demand. If people are willing to pay it, Disney can charge it.

1988 Off Site, 1992 Off Site, 1996 ASMusic, 2000 CBR, 2004 POR, 2007 Poly, 2009 POFQ, 2010 POP, 2011 POP, 2013 WL
APiratesLifeForMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #15
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

When I first started researching our first ever trip to WDW (for 2014) 5 years ago, The Poly was within reach. Every year, I'd look at room prices and they just kept going up. So I started looking at The Contemporary but that soon got out of reach too. Now that we are just about to book our trip for June of 2014, we will stay at POFQ 13 nights with two 10 day PH and will cost us just under $4,000. When I plugged in Contemporary, it jumped up to almost $8,000! And that doesn't even include airfare and food. This is why DLR is cheaper for us. But we've never been to WDW and we wanted to see it. I've heard POFQ is very nice and I know we'll have a great time, but it has been amazing to see how much prices have gone up since I started planning.

It is also unfortunate that we have to go during the summer but DH and I are both teachers and just can't take off for 2 weeks any other time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: