Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #16
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
DCL via GTY
That happened to me recently on the Dream. The cabin was 50% wider than a regular room, but you lose one of the greatest features of DCL staterooms: the split bath. In order to accommodate wheelchairs using the toilet and shower, it's one big room. I think that unless you're alone in the cabin, the lack of split bath can more than offset the extra room, so hopefully that provides a dis-incentive for people to book them without need.

Here's a funny story about my experience in the HA room. In addition to a doorbell, one of the features is an automatic door. When you scan your cardkey outside, it opens automatically. When I first got to my cabin, I unpacked my clothes, and then I wanted to change and had to use the bathroom. So, it happened to be convenient to take my clothes off, use the bathroom, then get dressed in my new outfit. So, with my clothes completely off, I go into the bathroom for the first time. There's this big button on the wall just outside the bathroom that's labeled "Open Door". I assume it's for the bathroom door, as it's right next to it. But it opens the main cabin door when pressed, and there's no way to stop it by pressing it again. The main cabin door opens and stays open for 30 seconds. Very fortunately for everyone involved, I was able to dart inside the bathroom and close that door before anyone happened to walk by.
SuperDry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #17
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
I've not heard that about any rooms on the Dream or Fantasy.
Most of the 8As were designed to be HA but current deck plans only show one on deck 6 (6014) as carrying the HA designation. So something happened there for sure.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #18
smootenloopers
Works to Support Cruise Habit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDry View Post
, but you lose one of the greatest features of DCL staterooms: the split bath.
I totally understand why these are such a big deal and why so many people love them, but as a person who travels alone, I find them a bit irritating! LOL!
Old 09-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #19
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
I understand that, but I was agreeing with a PP who was saying that yes, there are selfish people who will book HA rooms when they don't need them, but there are definite reasons when people who haven't needed one before now do. Just as one random (and NOT specific but general) example... Those who lost limbs in the Boston Marathon bombing may now require HA rooms.

I just don't think it's right to automatically assume that someone who "suddenly" needs one is booking it for the wrong reasons - especially if they never have booked one before.
OK..my error, I misread your post (part of the problem of getting old).

Yes, in this light I totally agree with you!.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #20
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootenloopers View Post
I'm not disputing that there are self-centered, inconsiderate people who book a HA room when not medically necessary, but just the fact that someone previously sailed in non-HA cabins does not mean that they don't have a legitimate need. Circumstances change.
Absolutely! Yes - life changes and some folks get to where they truly need a HA cabin. I was never implying all people who book HA rooms 18 months in advance on opening day of bookings and had never been in one in their other dozens of cruises are faking it.

However, what I personally observed, some are faking it. I know they may look just fine walking down the hall and at all the functions onboard but still have an underlying need for one.

Maybe a suggestion: Don't publish a list of cabins of your past and upcoming cruises to brag about being in the Walt Suite or that you've been on this and that cruise. Don't book a HA cabin for a 14-nt cruise.... yet other cruise cabins you have booked in-between posting about your HA cabin and the actual HA cruise are not HA cabins. (Um, so on booking date you felt you needed a HA cabin 18 months away, but the other cruises you have on your upcoming list are not HA. And after that HA cruise you also have cruises on your list with cabin as GTY . Most people needing a HA cabin do not book GTY because they truly need a HA cabin, which are so limited, and a GTY won't guarantee them a HA cabin. Just seems strange IMHO)

But, I could be totally wrong. They could have just predicted 18 months in advance they would need a HA cabin for the 14-night cruise but the cruises before/after that would not need HA. I wish I could predict my medical ailments in advance like that.
MandyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #21
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
I understand that, but I was agreeing with a PP who was saying that yes, there are selfish people who will book HA rooms when they don't need them, but there are definite reasons when people who haven't needed one before now do. Just as one random (and NOT specific but general) example... Those who lost limbs in the Boston Marathon bombing may now require HA rooms.

I just don't think it's right to automatically assume that someone who "suddenly" needs one is booking it for the wrong reasons - especially if they never have booked one before.
Please see my above post. I was not saying *all* people who "suddenly" need one are not legitimate. The ones I observed had a cruise booked between booking and cruise date that was not HA... and other cruises (plural) after the HA cruise as GTY. But the 14-night cruise they predicted 18 months in advance they needed a HA cabin. Then on that cruise they both seemed to be walking down the hall just fine, no wheelchair, etc - but I do understand there are other ailments people still need HA for without obvious physical needs.

Just odd to me to have cruises booked before and after a long 14-night HA cruise that are not HA cabins shared on a list.

Or maybe I missed it somewhere - maybe they were temporarily HA that they were able to predict 18 months in advance. Sorry if I came off as a jerk or something. I pray God will give me 18 months notice of a time I will need special assistance and then go back to not needing special assistance afterwards.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #22
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

I am really not trying to come off as mean. I just have a huge heart for people who are special needs and can only travel when they can have a HA cabin. I'm walking in a spina bifida walk tomorrow morning. I know those families can never cruise in a non-HA cabin. Ever. It just really breaks my heart when I observe firsthand on my own cruise meet threads and on the cruise people taking advantage of the system. Or at least that come across that way based on their posts of being on all these cruises (past and future) that are not HA cabins... yet the 14-night cruise in the middle is a HA cabin booked on opening day. Just kinda doesn't sit well with me. But to each his own.

I am definitely thankful the Magic is receiving more HA cabins, and pray those people who truly need the cabins actually get the opportunity to use them.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #23
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl View Post
I am really not trying to come off as mean. I just have a huge heart for people who are special needs and can only travel when they can have a HA cabin. I'm walking in a spina bifida walk tomorrow morning. I know those families can never cruise in a non-HA cabin. Ever. It just really breaks my heart when I observe firsthand on my own cruise meet threads and on the cruise people taking advantage of the system. Or at least that come across that way based on their posts of being on all these cruises (past and future) that are not HA cabins... yet the 14-night cruise in the middle is a HA cabin booked on opening day. Just kinda doesn't sit well with me. But to each his own.

I am definitely thankful the Magic is receiving more HA cabins, and pray those people who truly need the cabins actually get the opportunity to use them.
I am thankful that the Magic is getting a couple more HA cabins. I'm hoping these are not all the way forward or all the way aft (like most of the other HA cabins on that ship).

You never know who is accompanying someone on a cruise that could change their cabin needs. When I travel with my mother, we need a HA cabin (so far, she's been on every DCL cruise with me) but when I travel without her (which I did on several Carnival cruises) I don't need a HA cabin. If you ever looked at my cruise history of cabins, you'd see a mix of HA and non-HA cabins.
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #24
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Similarly I have a friend undergoing treatments. Some weeks she's immobile some weeks she's near normal and some weeks she needs a cane to walk.
She didn't think to book an HA last cruise hoping not to need it. A week out she needed it but wasn't able to swap. During the cruise she was (thankfully) more mobile than she'd anticipated.
So there are people who have varying needs.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #25
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
I am thankful that the Magic is getting a couple more HA cabins. I'm hoping these are not all the way forward or all the way aft (like most of the other HA cabins on that ship).

You never know who is accompanying someone on a cruise that could change their cabin needs. When I travel with my mother, we need a HA cabin (so far, she's been on every DCL cruise with me) but when I travel without her (which I did on several Carnival cruises) I don't need a HA cabin. If you ever looked at my cruise history of cabins, you'd see a mix of HA and non-HA cabins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
Similarly I have a friend undergoing treatments. Some weeks she's immobile some weeks she's near normal and some weeks she needs a cane to walk.
She didn't think to book an HA last cruise hoping not to need it. A week out she needed it but wasn't able to swap. During the cruise she was (thankfully) more mobile than she'd anticipated.
So there are people who have varying needs.
I am also hoping they are not all forward/aft either. Managing a wheelchair down the long hallways is not nearly as easy as having the cabins more accessible to the elevator areas as I have booked for clients on other ships/cruiselines.

Yes, very valid points about varying needs and I completely understand that. I book cruises for people all the time where yes, one of the persons needs it so obviously their caregiver (usually a family member) is with them. However, the married couple we witnessed I referenced previously didn't seem to fit either those scenarios through postings online and seeing them in person on the cruise repeatedly. It was a married couple - very open about their many cruises together through their postings, pictures, and PMs (not a scenario of traveling with one partner needing a HA cabin and then the next cruise not traveling with the same partner - the same two people on the cruises). This wasn't a cabin changed closer to sailing but rather one shared well in advance. I'm a glass-half-full kinda girl and always try to believe the best in people, so maybe I am completely mistaken and they had an obscure medical reason they knew of that they would have for that one specific cruise well in advance, but not the others before/after they shared in their upcoming bookings.

If I could sit down right now and book four upcoming cruises for my spouse, children and I, and let the one in Dec 2014 be a HA cabin but the cruises before/after that not be HA, that would be incredible knowledge to have to know that one of us will be needing assistance that one specific cruise but not the other three cruises I am booking before/after. I just have not been blessed with that insight to know my family's medical ailments that far in advance - and we have definitely had our share which is why we travel while we can now - but what a wonderful ability to be able to plan in advance like that for specifically which cruises one will be needing handicap amenities... as well as to be able to prepare mentally for those challenges in advance. Calling an oncology surgeon was not something anyone gave us advance notice of, or various other surgeries, or my surgery 3 weeks ago, but some advance notice would be good to know, especially over a year in advance like this couple had apparently. Plus that knowledge would save some money on travel insurance

Maybe y'all are right and everyone who does book HA cabins in advance like that truly do need them (we already know DCL will assign them after PIF dates to gty, but I am referring to the cruises booked over a year in advance or even on opening day - yet the other cruises for same people before/after are not HA). Hopefully nobody is cheating the system. At least I hope they have the honesty and integrity not to. Honesty and integrity make the world a better place IMHO

Last edited by MandyGirl; 09-07-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #26
Paragd911
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl View Post

Maybe y'all are right and everyone who does book HA cabins in advance like that truly do need them (we already know DCL will assign them after PIF dates to gty, but I am referring to the cruises booked over a year in advance or even on opening day - yet the other cruises for same people before/after are not HA). Hopefully nobody is cheating the system. At least I hope they have the honesty and integrity not to. Honesty and integrity make the world a better place IMHO
I am in a wheelchair & I use a service dog for my mobility. I need a Varanda for the dogs "potty" when I cruise. I have been on a number of cruises. When I was on WBTA cruise, the woman in the handicap room Next to me (been on 52 cruises all on Disney) told me she loves the "Extra Space" with a handicap room. Her & her husband does not have a any mobility issues. I saw them running all over the place. For two weeks.... I get, first come first serve...but when you don't NEED the room . That burns me up!! Because been wanting to go on a particular cruise and all the HA rooms are took on the opening day (for platinum members)

Yes I am a platinum member too lol

Mark & (Bingo) WDW to many to count.Disney Wonder Cruises: 2006 Jul(Honeymoon) , 2007 Spring Break 2008 New Year, 2009 Spring Break , 2010 Guys Spring Break, Fall break Sept 2010 Disney Magic: 2010 Birthday Eastern . Eastern March 2011 Western Dec 12 Disney Dream: 5 Days June 2011, Jan 2012, Magic Sept 2011 - WBTA Disney Fan 7 day Eastern Caribbean Jun 2012,Dream July2012 Future EBPC Sept 13
:Trip Report of the New Year Eve Cruise with a Service Dog! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2052361
Paragd911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #27
MomsOf2boys
Has obsessive finger chatter disorder

I have never been inside any of the HA rooms but always wondered where service pets went potty. Now I know. Is it provided on the ship or did you have to bring it?
Grew up at Disneyland...Raised my kids at Disney World...Had a little Wonder in Oct 04, Had a Magical week with a great group of DISers in Oct 07! We enjoyed dreaming aboard the DREAM in '12! Why Not Have Halloween Weekend 2014 on the Dream?!!
MomsOf2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #28
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragd911 View Post
I am in a wheelchair & I use a service dog for my mobility. I need a Varanda for the dogs "potty" when I cruise. I have been on a number of cruises. When I was on WBTA cruise, the woman in the handicap room Next to me (been on 52 cruises all on Disney) told me she loves the "Extra Space" with a handicap room. Her & her husband does not have a any mobility issues. I saw them running all over the place. For two weeks.... I get, first come first serve...but when you don't NEED the room . That burns me up!! Because been wanting to go on a particular cruise and all the HA rooms are took on the opening day (for platinum members)

Yes I am a platinum member too lol
I remember you from WBTA 2011

Yep - the couple I observed were platinum as well (had several past and upcoming cruises booked, same couple traveling, but had the 14 night cruise as HA booked opening day but later cruises as GTY in their list). When we have folks who absolutely cannot cruise without a HA cabin suffer because stingy folks like the ones you encountered "love the extra space", it saddens me that people have zero respect for others or doing what's right. It's all about me me me.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #29
Paragd911
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsOf2boys View Post
I have never been inside any of the HA rooms but always wondered where service pets went potty. Now I know. Is it provided on the ship or did you have to bring it?
Disney provides it. When people ask me on the ship, "Where does the dog potty?" I say ," I hang him off the side of the ship" with a big smile. lol

Some people believe me.... lol

Mark & (Bingo) WDW to many to count.Disney Wonder Cruises: 2006 Jul(Honeymoon) , 2007 Spring Break 2008 New Year, 2009 Spring Break , 2010 Guys Spring Break, Fall break Sept 2010 Disney Magic: 2010 Birthday Eastern . Eastern March 2011 Western Dec 12 Disney Dream: 5 Days June 2011, Jan 2012, Magic Sept 2011 - WBTA Disney Fan 7 day Eastern Caribbean Jun 2012,Dream July2012 Future EBPC Sept 13
:Trip Report of the New Year Eve Cruise with a Service Dog! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2052361
Paragd911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #30
MomsOf2boys
Has obsessive finger chatter disorder

Lol. I love the reply. Wonder if they are afraid of looking over their verandas in case of puppy potty drippings? Haha.
Grew up at Disneyland...Raised my kids at Disney World...Had a little Wonder in Oct 04, Had a Magical week with a great group of DISers in Oct 07! We enjoyed dreaming aboard the DREAM in '12! Why Not Have Halloween Weekend 2014 on the Dream?!!
MomsOf2boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: