Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
RGirl
DIS Veteran

How Did We Eat So Much?! Lots of Pics + DxDDP + DCL! *UPDATES 7/12*

Welcome to my first Dining Review! I am so excited to be doing this. I have learned so much about WDW dining here on the DIS, and I have written two prior trip reports, so I thought it was time to join on as a full-fledged Dining Review DIS’er!

This trip included myself (Roni) and my 6-year-old DD, Willow. Here we are:

We were traveling in August (first-time summer trip due to entering the school system - not quite as pleasant as our prior October trips ). We decided to do the DELUXE Dining Plan! I chose to purchase the Deluxe Plan because we do quite a bit of character dining and had planned to do at least one signature; after running the numbers, the Deluxe was not going to cost me a whole lot more than paying for all those character meals OOP and adding a signature and CS meals, and with the DxDDP we would be able to try a lot more that I wouldn’t be willing to pay for if I was doing every meal OOP. So I sprung for the plan and booked even more character meals and quite a few signatures. We were at WDW for a week, staying at the Boardwalk Inn. At the end of that week, we boarded the Disney Fantasy for a week of cruising and more dining! I intend to share my pictures and reviews from the Fantasy as well since we ate a LOT, including at both adult-only up-charge restaurants.

A quick aside: This was my first time using WDW’s special dietary program. I have an issue with gluten - it makes me quite ill, and it has gotten worse and worse over time. I used to just try to muddle through, picking things that I was pretty confident would be safe. This time, after reading up on it, I decided to notate my ADRs with my dietary needs and trust in Disney to help me out. So some of my reviews will touch on how different restaurants handled this issue, and some of my meals will be slightly altered from the menu version, but mostly, this will just be a fun food review!

I hope you will join me in my culinary reliving of our trip. Will the Deluxe be too much food? If so, will we care? Is there such a thing as too many character meals? Too many signature restaurants? Stay tuned for the answers to these questions and more!

Oh! I almost forgot that people like a list of the restaurants being reviewed! I will also link chapters here. Please note that we ate SO MUCH on this trip that I had to go back through my ADRs on the WDW app to list them!

1. Yachtsman Steakhouse Dinner

Yachtsman Continued

2. Cinderella’s Royal Table Lunch

3. Artist Point Dinner

BONUS: Boardwalk Bakery

4.Hollywood Brown Derby Lunch

Hollywood Brown Derby Lunch Cont.

5. Garden Grill Dinner

6. Akershus Royal Banquet Hall Breakfast

7. Le Cellier Lunch

8. Flying Fish Cafe Dinner

Flying Fish Cafe Dinner Cont.

9. Tusker House Breakfast

10. Chef Mickey’s Dinner

11. ‘Ohana Breakfast

12. Crystal Palace Lunch

13. Be Our Guest Dinner

14. Mama Melrose Lunch

15a. Jiko - but first Victoria Falls

15. Jiko - The Cooking Place Dinner

16. Cape May Cafe Breakfast

17. 1900 Park Fare Dinner

BONUS: Boardwalk Bakery and Babycakes Bakery

18. DCL Room Service Lunch

19. Royal Court Dinner

20. Cabanas Breakfast

21. Remy Brunch

Remy Brunch cont.

22. Flo’s Cafe (Quick Service) Lunch/Vista Cafe/Captain's Reception

23. Animator’s Palate Dinner

Animator's Palate Dinner (cont.)

24. Royal Court Breakfast

25. Cabanas Lunch

26. Palo Dinner

27. Enchanted Garden Breakfast

28. Royal Court Lunch

29. Royal Court Dinner

30. Royal Court Lunch

31. Animator’s Palate Dinner

32. Cabanas Breakfast

33. Flo’s Cafe (Quick Service) Lunch

34. DCL Room Service Dinner

35. Cabanas Breakfast

36. Cookie’s Too BBQ Lunch

37. Remy Dinner

38. Enchanted Garden Breakfast

Last edited by RGirl; Yesterday at 08:49 PM.
RGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
rodeo65
That dog is a true crate potato.....He's kind of a Kong hoarder too.
An iron - huh?

Ooooh - looking forward to this report! We are going in February after a year where both DH and I have removed gluten from our diets. Not diagnosed, but made some lifestlye changes and we both feel so much better without it.

We have not included any notation on our ADRs and were intending to just do as you had done previously and make the best choices we can.

I can't wait to see what you were able to eat and how you enjoyed it!!!!!!!!!!!!

1974, 1976, 1978, 1980, 1985 LBV Villas; 1994 PO RS (first trip with future DH); 2009 CBR (first time seeing it through our kids' eyes); 2011 OKW (all together now...grandparents too!) ; 2014 CBR
rodeo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Outstanding lineup!!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

I'm excited to join in and hear all about it!
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:46 AM   #5
doitforlove
x0x0 Disney Squirrel

Can't wait for your review! You have an amazing line up at the parks! Can't wait for the Fantasy food as well. I've been thinking of booking a cruise recently!

Spring 2014 Group Sales Professional Intern
Recent Trips:
Sept'11 @ CBR; Sept'12 @ POP; Sept'13 @ CSR
doitforlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #6
weswife
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to read more!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Count me in

I have a feeling this is going to be a good 'un
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

Really looking forward to this one - we did the DXDP just once for the same reasons as you, wanted to do Sigs, character breakfasts and the two shows so worked out $$$ cheaper. Couldn't do it every trip though. Also we are planning our first Summer trip next year and have always done October/November or February.

:

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
WildGinger
Mouseketeer

Can't wait...can't wait! Most of these on our list for February. Also, trying to decide if we want the deluxe plan.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
LIBLULA
Mouseketeer

Can't wait!!!!!

LIBLULA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
Tinker12
Mouseketeer

Looking forward to your reviews!!!
AKL Concierge Sept/Oct 2008, AKL Sept/Oct 2009, CBR Sept/Oct 2010 , POFQ March 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2012 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2013 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2014

Tinker12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
RGirl
DIS Veteran

I am working on the first review. I hope to have it posted by tonight or tomorrow. I have soooo many pictures from this trip to sort through and organize, so it's kind of slow going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo65 View Post
Ooooh - looking forward to this report! We are going in February after a year where both DH and I have removed gluten from our diets. Not diagnosed, but made some lifestlye changes and we both feel so much better without it.

We have not included any notation on our ADRs and were intending to just do as you had done previously and make the best choices we can.

I can't wait to see what you were able to eat and how you enjoyed it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome!! Thanks so much for joining in!

I felt very awkward about notating my ADRs and making things more difficult for the chefs and servers. However, after being gluten-free for a couple of years now, I get pretty violently sick if I accidentally get "gluten'ed," so I knew that I needed to make the notations as I did not want to spend my vacation sick. If you do get sick from it, you might want to consider it. But you can read along and see how it worked out for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettegirl View Post
Outstanding lineup!!
Thanks so much! I felt like we had a nice variety of character meals, fun meals, and signatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
I'm excited to join in and hear all about it!
Thank you so much for joining!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitforlove View Post
Can't wait for your review! You have an amazing line up at the parks! Can't wait for the Fantasy food as well. I've been thinking of booking a cruise recently!
Welcome!! Thanks so much for joining in! I hope you do a cruise - DCL cruises are insanely fun. This was our second, and I can't wait to do another one.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by weswife View Post

Can't wait to read more!
Welcome! Thank you so much for joining in!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Count me in

I have a feeling this is going to be a good 'un
Aww -thanks! I sure hope it will be good. I am really looking forward to sharing our dining experiences and pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
Really looking forward to this one - we did the DXDP just once for the same reasons as you, wanted to do Sigs, character breakfasts and the two shows so worked out $$$ cheaper. Couldn't do it every trip though. Also we are planning our first Summer trip next year and have always done October/November or February.

:
Welcome! Thanks for joining in! The DxDDP really is the way to go if you want to do the character meals and signatures. Even with mostly two-meal days though, it is a ton of food!

The change to a summer trip was, for us, really hard. It was a very different kind of Disney trip. I hope that you will enjoy your summer trip - WDW is fun anytime of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGinger View Post
Can't wait...can't wait! Most of these on our list for February. Also, trying to decide if we want the deluxe plan.
Hi there! Thanks for joining in! Oh, I'm glad to hear that our reviews may be helpful to you given that you are planning to go to some of the same places. One of the reasons that I wanted to write this DR was to help myself determine whether I would do the DxDDP again - I want to be able to reflect on how it all went for us now that we are home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBLULA View Post
Can't wait!!!!!
Welcome! Thanks for joining in!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker12 View Post
Looking forward to your reviews!!!
Thanks! I'm glad you joined. I can't wait to share all the details and pictures.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
livsmom04
DIS Veteran

I'm joining in. Can't wait to hear about the food and your meals.

7/96-Offsite, 5/98-Offsite, 5/10-ASM, 7/11-POP, 4/12 -POP, 8/12-Coronado Springs, 6/13-Coronado Springs, 6/13 AKV, 9/14 POP

Trip Reports:
TR IN Progress-A Family Trip Full of Surprises: Updated 6/3 Epcot Day Part 3!

livsmom04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
autumnpalm
Hates dark rooms, is a big rule follower, & loves repitition
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a host on The Shopping Channel
I have a secret feeling that butterflies are sinister creatures

Also joining in!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: