Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
KaLyn
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure where to post this so please move it to the correct page, if needed...

I received our free vacation planning DVD in the mail yesterday and after watching it I noticed there was a QR code on the DVD itself. I scanned it with my smartphone, figuring I'd be directed to a website with other Disney vacation planning info. Instead, it pulled up a 7 digit code. I have no idea what it is for. Since it's printed on the DVD, it doesn't make sense to me for it to be for Disney's use when they produced them or something. But it also seems to be too short to be a pin code. Does anyone know what this code is for?

Me28 DH30 DD6.5 DD3.5
Past Trips:
April 27-28, 2009: All Star Music Resort - Country Western Area
This was our quick-take-a-Disney-vacation-to-get-a-feel-of-what-it's-like-before-we-have-kids-to-drag-along trip.
Planning in Progress:
May 4-10, 2014: Coronado Springs Resort
This is our the-kids-are-only-little-for-so-long-so-lets-make-this-as-magical-and-as-awesome-as-possible trip.

Last edited by KaLyn; 09-06-2013 at 02:04 PM.
KaLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
jewels1916
Why do all my dreams extend just around the riverbend?

I've got one too. No idea, but I'm curious too!
'89 - off site (age 4) - DMom DDad Me '94 - off site (age 9) - DMom DDad Me DBrother DGrandparents '99 - All-Star Movies (age 14) - DMom DDad Me DBrother DSister '02 - All-Star Sports (age 16) - Contest of Champions - Dance Team '06 - Wilderness Lodge (age 21) - DMom DDad Me DBrother DSister '08 - Contemporary (age 23) - Finished Grad School - DMom DDad Me Dec. '09 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (age 24) - MVMCP - BFF Kelly Me May/June 2010 - POFQ/Pop (age 25) - BFF Kelly and Disboards BFF PiperMae Oct. '12 - Land and Sea Boardwalk/DCL Dream (age 27) - MNSSHP - BFF Joey and Fam Feb. '13 - Polynesian (age 27) - Sister's 21st bday - DMom, DDad, DSis Aug. 2014 - POR (age 29) - Villains Unleashed - First Solo!

jewels1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
Cavners5
Earning My Ears

Me too! Since I told them when I called that I was planning a trip for 2015????
DL BWPPI 06/07 YOADDL DS 5th 03/08/06 DD Adoption Hawaii 08/06 DL 50th AP Invit 05/05/05
DL 06/05
DL 04/04, 09/04 PAPDL 02/03 PAPDL 2002DL DS 5th 08/27/01 DLHDL Paradise Pier Hotel 1998
Cavners5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
disneygirl2785
DIS Bride turned DIS Mommy!

I think that might be what takes you to your personalized website when you put the disc in your computer. Interesting that it doesn't take you there when you scan it with the QR Reader.
Sept 2012 DFTW Planning Session-AKL
DFTW December 9, 2012 WP/GF Whitehall Room-BLT
Camryn's First trip to Disney! Jan 2015-AKL-KV/VWL

disneygirl2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirl2785 View Post
I think that might be what takes you to your personalized website when you put the disc in your computer. Interesting that it doesn't take you there when you scan it with the QR Reader.
Disk Readers in your PC cannot read a QR code, they can only read data in the tracks.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #6
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMickey View Post
Disk Readers in your PC cannot read a QR code, they can only read data in the tracks.
I think they're talking about scanning it with a cell phone.

Poly- '92, '94,'98, '00, '11, '12,
POR- 10'
AoA- April '13, Dec '13
Pop- Dec '13, Apr '14
CSR- '13
Son of Gadsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLyn View Post
I'm not sure where to post this so please move it to the correct page, if needed...

I received our free vacation planning DVD in the mail yesterday and after watching it I noticed there was a QR code on the DVD itself. I scanned it with my smartphone, figuring I'd be directed to a website with other Disney vacation planning info. Instead, it pulled up a 7 digit code. I have no idea what it is for. Since it's printed on the DVD, it doesn't make sense to me for it to be for Disney's use when they produced them or something. But it also seems to be too short to be a pin code. Does anyone know what this code is for?
When you say "printed" do you mean it looked like it was printed separately?

Its probably something thats used to keep track of production. Its also possible they send out different versions depending on your request so there it s a way to mark them.

If its was a pin code it would direct you to the Disney site to get you to book it and also there would be something prompting you to scan it. Like the wording "scan this to get get new offers".
Old 09-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
KaLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
When you say "printed" do you mean it looked like it was printed separately?

Its probably something thats used to keep track of production. Its also possible they send out different versions depending on your request so there it s a way to mark them.

If its was a pin code it would direct you to the Disney site to get you to book it and also there would be something prompting you to scan it. Like the wording "scan this to get get new offers".
Yeah, its actually on the DVD itself, its not a sticker or anything that was applied after production. I'd post a picture of it, if i knew how to lol.

I figured it was some way for Disney to label them, even though it makes no sense to me cause it just seems like it's an extra step. Instead of making a QR code for different versions why not just different covers? And if they were going to number them, why not just number them? Adding the QR just seems to be an extra step in the process. But hey what do I know.

And you're right, it's definitely not a PIN code, its too short. And it doesn't even take me anywhere, just the numerals appear. I'm just going to assume its just a fancy looking way for Disney to label them unless someone comes along and tells me otherwise.

Me28 DH30 DD6.5 DD3.5
Past Trips:
April 27-28, 2009: All Star Music Resort - Country Western Area
This was our quick-take-a-Disney-vacation-to-get-a-feel-of-what-it's-like-before-we-have-kids-to-drag-along trip.
Planning in Progress:
May 4-10, 2014: Coronado Springs Resort
This is our the-kids-are-only-little-for-so-long-so-lets-make-this-as-magical-and-as-awesome-as-possible trip.
KaLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLyn View Post
Yeah, its actually on the DVD itself, its not a sticker or anything that was applied after production. I'd post a picture of it, if i knew how to lol.

I figured it was some way for Disney to label them, even though it makes no sense to me cause it just seems like it's an extra step. Instead of making a QR code for different versions why not just different covers? And if they were going to number them, why not just number them? Adding the QR just seems to be an extra step in the process. But hey what do I know.

And you're right, it's definitely not a PIN code, its too short. And it doesn't even take me anywhere, just the numerals appear. I'm just going to assume its just a fancy looking way for Disney to label them unless someone comes along and tells me otherwise.
Yes its an extra step but an easy one.

The reason its a QR code is so a computer can easily read it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: