Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #46
devonsmommy
DIS Veteran

We are recently back from a 10 day trip to the World.
I had two conversations with CMs that were interesting.

The first was a CM at the FP machines by Primeval Whirl. He was specifically stationed by the Magic Band or Fastpass + scanner, not the regular FP machines. I was curious about the bands because we didn't have this on our trip, and I haven't really taken the time to learn about them, etc. So I asked him a few questions. He said that research has found the "average" guest was only getting 2.5 fastpasses a day. So they had to put a limit on the number for the Magicband or Fastpass + and they chose 3 for that reason. During the trip, our party was trying to decide if we would be better off just using the regular FP system vs. having the bands...

The second was a CM at the Poly Concierge desk. We were talking about how now we just scan our room key at the front desk there and it pulls everything up for them. She said that scanner is "the future" and everything will be done with the My Disney Experience/scanner process.

So, who knows if any of that is true, but I can definitely see them doing away with the FP system with the implementation of the Magic Bands. I still heard people on this trip walking up to a line and asking the CM standing at the FP entrance, "What is Fastpass?"

It will be interesting to see what transpires!

COME READ MY TRIP REPORT! Girls Gone Wild 5/4-5/11 or my DINING REPORT! 5/4-5/11 w/ lots of pics!

8/15-24/13 DINING REPORT

October 2014--Wonder!
May 2014--OKW
August 2013--Polynesian, October 2012--Old Key West, May 2012--Animal Kingdom Lodge/Expedition Everest!, March 2012--Disney Magic!, Feb. 2012--Pop, Dec. 2010--Contemporary/Pop, Sept. 2009--Pop, Sept. 2008--POR, June 2004--Vistana
And many trips before!
devonsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #47
devonsmommy
DIS Veteran

Also, (I didn't read all the comments here), but regarding the AP people. Perhaps they are thinking the AP holders visit more often and won't be running around like us crazies gathering and using as many FP as possible in our short trip. Just a thought...

I definitely see how it would upset the AP holders though. It's like a perk that has vanished for them.

COME READ MY TRIP REPORT! Girls Gone Wild 5/4-5/11 or my DINING REPORT! 5/4-5/11 w/ lots of pics!

8/15-24/13 DINING REPORT

October 2014--Wonder!
May 2014--OKW
August 2013--Polynesian, October 2012--Old Key West, May 2012--Animal Kingdom Lodge/Expedition Everest!, March 2012--Disney Magic!, Feb. 2012--Pop, Dec. 2010--Contemporary/Pop, Sept. 2009--Pop, Sept. 2008--POR, June 2004--Vistana
And many trips before!
devonsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #48
WDWChloe
WDW Annual Passholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post

If the "page" stretches from here to Uranus and back...
Them yeah... We're all on it
Yeah, right? I don't understand the point that was trying to be made... Just trying to neutralize it rather than saying anymore :/ to each their own

IG: @chloelovesdisney
WDWChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #49
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWChloe View Post

Yeah, right? I don't understand the point that was trying to be made... Just trying to neutralize it rather than saying anymore :/ to each their own
Well...I've done (and spent) it all at wdw...

And though I'm rarely offended...I just have a problem with those that shell out several hundreds/thousands of dollars on exhorbinantly inflated passes being called freeloaders.

That would be like me calling those that go to port Orleans one week a year as lemmings because they're paying through the nose, they're predictable, and Disney doesn't feel the need to spend a cent to earn their business..

See? Wouldn't be right, would it?
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #50
zorro77
DVC Member Since 93

We are visiting the world end of Oct and a week in Nov. I called to check if the magic bands would be up for our visit and they said since at OKW and a DVC member most likley not at this time. My question is if most resorts have the magic bands and people can get fast passes what does that leave for rest of us. Does it make it harder to get a fast pass or two for a day.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #51
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

As I said previously some offsite people spend a lot. Compare the family that stays at a budget resort and gets free dining to the offsite visitor who comes for the same amount of time and pay OOP for all meals. I would think that Disney is making a good chunk of change on the offsite visitor just for that.

I'm playing it by ear. We will likely go this December but I wont buy Disney passes until I know more. We get a free offsite place to stay and I'm going to enjoy it even if we only do other things. I just wish that I knew something!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #52
Postal68
DIS Veteran

ZERO chance they ever move to a system where only resort guests will be able to get fast passes. ZERO.

I do see some kind of priority system for resort guests in the future though.
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #53
kmac2384
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post

If the "page" stretches from here to Uranus and back...
Them yeah... We're all on it
Nothing to add other then every time I read posts from locked out I LMAO. Thanks buddy.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #54
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
ZERO chance they ever move to a system where only resort guests will be able to get fast passes. ZERO.

I would agree here...

I would definitely see a priority system as an enticement in the future...especially if their radio direction system takes off and the trip is completely dependent upon it...they could use the fastpass privileges to sell resort rooms when times are slow...
But i just don't think that just the resorts (30,000 rooms give or take) would supply enough guests to use the whole system. Not with fastpass being virtually added to everything including...i cringe..."fireworks viewing"

the numbers wouldn't pan out for "resort only" fastpasses.

A tier system that also could be "purchased" by off-site stays? now that is right down the line for the dis...
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #55
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post

ITA but Universal discontinued their free Express Pass program. Guests staying at Universal Hotels get free access to the Express Pass entrances other guests can pay for Express Pass access.

AFAIK Disney is the only park which offers free FP to all guests. Other parks charge extra.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #56
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
ITA but Universal discontinued their free Express Pass program. Guests staying at Universal Hotels get free access to the Express Pass entrances other guests can pay for Express Pass access.

AFAIK Disney is the only park which offers free FP to all guests. Other parks charge extra.
Of course keep in mind that "free" and "included" are two very different concepts. The gate fee includes access to the fast pass system. Whether it will include it going forward is up for debate, but fast pass is hardly free.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #57
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

I am pretty sure I understand how this is going to work.

If you have a Disney Resort reservation and a valid ticket or voucher, then you can schedule advance Fastpass+.

Everyone else must wait until same-day, and will use their RFID ticket (card or magicband) to obtain Fastpass+ for that day using the Kiosks, or if you carry a device with MDE running, link your ticket in and do it wirelessly.

DVC will participate fully if you buy tickets before you arrive.

Annual Passholders will participate fully if they book a resort stay, otherwise they can only do same day.

Yes, I am still speculating a bit, but based on my experience the last 2 weeks and the questions I asked this is how I have pieced it together.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #58
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
Of course keep in mind that "free" and "included" are two very different concepts. The gate fee includes access to the fast pass system. Whether it will include it going forward is up for debate, but fast pass is hardly free.
I don't want to quibble (much). I object to calling an "extra" free if there is anyway to buy the underlying product cheaper without the free item. A store sells a TV set with a "free" stand. Next week the TV is sold at a lower price without the "free" stand. Pay full price for a ticket to Universal and you get a "free" bus ride. Buy a discounted ticket and you don't get the "free" bus ride.

Currently every Disney ticket is eligible for FP. It doesn't matter what you paid for your ticket or where you purchased it.

It's certainly not free to enter a Disney park. Once you enter the park there is no additional charge for FP. In that sense it's free.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #59
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBill View Post
I am pretty sure I understand how this is going to work.

If you have a Disney Resort reservation and a valid ticket or voucher, then you can schedule advance Fastpass+.

Everyone else must wait until same-day, and will use their RFID ticket (card or magicband) to obtain Fastpass+ for that day using the Kiosks, or if you carry a device with MDE running, link your ticket in and do it wirelessly.

DVC will participate fully if you buy tickets before you arrive.

Annual Passholders will participate fully if they book a resort stay, otherwise they can only do same day.

Yes, I am still speculating a bit, but based on my experience the last 2 weeks and the questions I asked this is how I have pieced it together.
I agree with this. The key is scheduling the FPs in advance...that will be the incentive to stay onsite.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #60
ethanwa
Premier Passport AP / D23 Charter Member / D23 Geek of the Week / 2013 & 2015 D23 Expo Sorcerers Ticket

I just spoke with a CM at the Little Mermaid FastPass+ line last night. She said FastPass+ will be rolled out to everyone, including annual passholders, BEFORE Christmas. She said its coming very soon.

Ethan
ethanwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: