Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
Karabee
DIS Veteran

Working from the Resort?

Hi - I'm currently looking into a Feb trip with my sister after our fall trip was pushed from this year We're looking to stay at AKL, OKW or SSR - all which we've stayed in before and all which we love. Since we're coming in from 2 different cities, I may just fly in super early one morning and spend the day at the hotel waiting for her. Has anyone had to work from any of these hotels? I need wireless to do everything for my job so I'm just looking for previous experience.
Thanks!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
MinnieSummer
DIS Veteran

I don't know if this will help but my DD was able to do her schoolwork (virtual school) with no problems.
Christmas at BLT-MKV 2010
Christmas at CSR 2009,
Christmas at WL Villas 2008
Christmas at SSR 2007
Christmas at GF 2006
Christmas at BWI 2005
Christmas at WL 2004
Christmas at CSR 2003
Christmas at AKL 2002
Christmas at CBR 2001
MinnieSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
MiramarQE
Mouseketeer

Never stayed at AKL, OKW or SSR - but the wifi at BC, POR, POFQ and AMu supported my company's VPN.

Think you'll be OK.
MiramarQE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Big O
Earning My Ears

My family and I stayed at the Poly during the week of August 6. There was an audit being conducted at my place of employment and with the wifi provided (free of charge) by the hotel I was able to support the proceedings for several days without incident. It worked for me!
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

I work online - 7 days a week. I work at Disney even carrying an extra monitor because I work on several at once. If you are asking if the wifi is good and can handle uploads etc, it can. I work on websites and was able to upload pages with graphics and photos and flash files and code to servers no problem. I think you will be just fine!
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 8x (1xBusClass) ~ PO Riverside 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek ~ PO French Quarter
POP Century 15x ~ Hilton DTD 2x ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 3x ~ B Resort
All Star Movie ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopperFan View Post
I work online - 7 days a week. I work at Disney even carrying an extra monitor because I work on several at once. If you are asking if the wifi is good and can handle uploads etc, it can. I work on websites and was able to upload pages with graphics and photos and flash files and code to servers no problem. I think you will be just fine!
I work at Disney too. My experience was horrid. The service dropped every half hour or so. Speed was more like dial up

I just used my wireless card
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

1) The resorts do have WiFi.
2) However, it is a common master router.
3) Thus, if others are on the WiFi, your connection can be S-L-O-W.
4) Or, even dead slow.
5) Usually it is moderate speed, but other times, dial-up is faster !!!
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
I work at Disney too. My experience was horrid. The service dropped every half hour or so. Speed was more like dial up

I just used my wireless card
WOW, I guess as always you never know. I've worked at CSR multiple times, POR, POP mulitiple times without any issues. I honestly expected to not be able to upload but I could. Prior trips were hard wire.

Thinking I should take my hotspot next week just in case I run into problems.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 8x (1xBusClass) ~ PO Riverside 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek ~ PO French Quarter
POP Century 15x ~ Hilton DTD 2x ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 3x ~ B Resort
All Star Movie ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
LorieDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

In years past, I have found the internet service spotty and slow.

However, it seemed Disney made many significant improvements in the wi-fi access over the past year.

This past July I had no problems accessing the internet on a regular basis at the resort (room and public access areas) and even in the parks on my iPhone/iPad.

Loving our new home at BLT!

LorieDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karabee View Post
Hi - I'm currently looking into a Feb trip with my sister after our fall trip was pushed from this year We're looking to stay at AKL, OKW or SSR - all which we've stayed in before and all which we love. Since we're coming in from 2 different cities, I may just fly in super early one morning and spend the day at the hotel waiting for her. Has anyone had to work from any of these hotels? I need wireless to do everything for my job so I'm just looking for previous experience.
Thanks!
Your problem with arriving early to work until the rest of the group arrive has a pitfall. The odds of your villa being available when you arrive isn't very good. Odds are, you will need to work in a lobby, by the pool, at a table in the dining area. You'll have wifi, but your signal might not be as strong as you need. Your villa might not be ready until after 4PM which is check in time for DVC resorts.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
Karabee
DIS Veteran

Thanks all! Overall this seems positive so if flights are cheaper to leave early I might go for it. I'm more than happy to work in the lobbies of any of these hotels before the room is ready Luckily my job is the type I can just say I'm done if the connection is too bad.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: