Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
DonnaDuck333
Mouseketeer

Small dilemma here ...

so.... My son wants to do the college program fall 2014 semester. My disney thinking obsessive brain is like "well" since we have to fly him down one way from Ct we can plan our vacation for when he finishes up in Janurary around the 3rd or 4th. That being said, do you all know when the decorations are pulled down for christmas holiday, that would be a factor for us... May have to consider a early May 2014 vacation instead... We went this August and the heat was the worse I ever seen in the summer in Florida, and we always vacation here in August... Had to cut down park time and only do a couple hours in the morning.. Want to utilize our park tickets more next trip.. How cold in Janurary anyways?Rather layer up than pass out from heat exhaustion
DonnaDuck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2

The only way to describe January weather in FL is "unpredictable".

Can be anything from 50-80 and sometimes even in the same day.

For historical info try here http://www.wunderground.com/tripplanner/index.asp

MinnieGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
connors95
Earning My Ears

I have to to say flip a coin. I also have been there when it was 80 one day, two days later it got down to 27 degrees at night. But I'll have to agree that its better to bundle up then suffer heat exhaustion. Crowds are better in January also.
connors95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
DonnaDuck333
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGirl33 View Post

Thank you for the link, very helpful
Old 09-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
DonnaDuck333
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGirl33 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by connors95 View Post
I have to to say flip a coin. I also have been there when it was 80 one day, two days later it got down to 27 degrees at night. But I'll have to agree that its better to bundle up then suffer heat exhaustion. Crowds are better in January also.
Yes, I am not one for snow, put honestly 50 during the day is doable, 27 at night is quite chilly but, that can be a resort night and a hot tottie in concierge perhaps.. sometimes a girl just has to work these things out
Old 09-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
MsThumper
Mouseketeer

I've lived in Florida for 32 years, and I would only tell you to prepare for anything. It could be freezing, roasting or anything in between. You would have to check the weather several days before you arrived. It is our "dry" season.

We were at WDW this past January from the 14 - 18 and we didn't have a need for any type of jacket or sweater, even in the evenings.
MsThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
DonnaDuck333
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThumper View Post
I've lived in Florida for 32 years, and I would only tell you to prepare for anything. It could be freezing, roasting or anything in between. You would have to check the weather several days before you arrived. It is our "dry" season.

We were at WDW this past January from the 14 - 18 and we didn't have a need for any type of jacket or sweater, even in the evenings.
I'm thinking January is looking like a go for us... Do you know when disney takes down there Christmas decorations?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

We went down in early January this year. Arrived on Sunday January 6th (last day of the Osborne lights) - so we got to see those! Most resort holiday decorations were already down but the parks were still decorated.

Hope that helps.

Previous Magical Adventures:
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

We were there a couple of years ago from Jan. 2 - 7. When we got there, the decorations were still up at the resorts. By the 4th, they were gone from the resorts, but still up at the parks. By the 6th, they were gone from the parks, too (but they were still playing the Christmas music!)
Old 09-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
kwdw
DIS Veteran

Been twice in early January. When I arrived on the 2nd, decorations still up everywhere, but were down in the reort the 3rd
Old 09-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
kwdw
DIS Veteran

Been there in early January twice. Year I arrived on the 2nd, everything was decorated, but like PP, resort decorations were down by the third or fourth. I think my last park day, the sixth, the MK was all un-decorated, but a few items left to purchase.

Year I arrived on sixth or seventh, I don't remember any holiday decorations at all.

So, if you really want to experience Disney Christmas magic, go after Thanksgiving, but before Dec 20th. Weather is totally unpredictable, but crowds are low. I can't quite decide if its then or October that's my favorite, but its a great time to visit. I've had beautiful weather and below freezing weather then, but if you take a good variety of clothes, and check the forecast each morning before you leave your room, it's all reasonable weather.

Been in May, too. You'll most likely get some hot days there and crowds are heavier. It worked for the family unit traveling this last time, but May was too busy for me. We got frustrated by the crowds since we are normally there when crowds are lower.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: