Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #91
gginaaxo0
Earning My Ears
 
gginaaxo0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7

Oh my god! I'm so sorry to hear what happened to you. I don't even know you and that brought tears to my eyes. You have to be strong and show your kids your the independent mom I'm sure you are. My mom was a single mom for a couple of years, and it shaped me into the most independent person today. What I would suggest is packing snacks with you in your bag to help budget. My fiancé and me stayed in Disney for six nights last year and we spent about $600-700 together. I definitely think you'll be able to manage it. We're adults and some days we would split quick service meals because we weren't so hungry. You have to go on this trip. Don't let anything get in the way of something you look forward to with your children. Be strong and have an amazing time with your kids.
gginaaxo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #92
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Husker living in Hoosierland.
Posts: 9,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by VagueFury View Post
Fine, she can be depressed on "vacation" and be out MORE money. Sorry I have an opinion that doesn't conforms to yours.
Again, if you read before you post, she's already gaining some of her excitement back, and she would be "out" more money by postponing it than by going. The vast majority of the trip is sunk costs, and we have no clue what her budget is like other than for this vacation.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #93
mumto3girls
DIS Veteran
 
mumto3girls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 630

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post

From a budget board standpoint, the only issue that is implied is that her emergency fund was not large enough for the unseen expenses involved in having your boyfriend beat you and getting yourself safe. I think that is falling under "budgetary misdemeanors" and I wouldn't sweat it. To pay for the trip in full, the only thing that is required is she skips some planned table service, skips souvenirs and avoids up charges on the cruise - big whoop - that's what the trips of 80% of the people here are like....but you can't win around here, if you post that you've saved up enough money to take a trip and keep your emergency fund untouched - even though the washer broke last week you were able to replace that money into your emergency fund without touching your trip funds, you are accused of stealth bragging.
Budgetary misdemeanor lol. FWIW I agree that the OP should go and have a great time. The trip is paid for and she can't get it back and its not like the money she has saved for her out of pocket/meals was enough to make a big difference in her situation at home--she still has to eat there. She has plenty of money for food and incidentals as long as she doesn't go crazy with souvenirs and expensive meals. She can show her children what it means to be resilient and deal with the rest of the mess when she gets back after she has healed and had a chance to get away from it all for a bit.

Best of luck to you OP. Stay safe and enjoy your trip with your kids.
__________________
mumto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #94
NHTikiBeckie
DIS Veteran
 
NHTikiBeckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 1,805

Quote:
Originally Posted by VagueFury View Post
Fine, she can be depressed on "vacation" and be out MORE money. Sorry I have an opinion that doesn't conforms to yours.
She is out the money whether she goes are not...opinions are fine but it doesn't seem like you have read her other posts.
__________________


Disney World videos I made!

http://vimeo.com/7316001 (MGM & Animal Kingdom)

http://vimeo.com/7315073 (Epcot)

http://vimeo.com/7316111 (Magic Kingdom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjHXWMp1uhI (Christmas and Fun outside the parks)
NHTikiBeckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #95
mom2my3kids
Doesn't believe in the Tag Fairy
 
mom2my3kids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,229

@HUGS@.....GOOOOOO and yes 400 is enough to feed you and your two children..You can also bring lots of snacks and drinks, plus if you are eating counter service you can purchase all kids meals..saves you a bit of money...
__________________
Myself 42, DH 45 , DD 21 , DS 17 , DS 11

Dec 14-20th 2013
Daytona/Universal/MNSSHP Sept 2011
Sept 2009 8 nights Pop Century
Sept 22nd-Sept 30th 2007 POP
October 2006, OKW,POP 6 night trip..
mom2my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #96
Zim
Meow meow
 
Zim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 664

I agree this is a good teaching moment for the kids as far as what an outsider (re: crazy ex-boyfriend) can and can't do to the strength of your family unit. Don't focus on the infidelity or the violence, just be grateful his true colors showed up before he got you to the altar. And, perhaps, if your mother wasn't supportive in the least, find out why and see if there aren't dysfunctional patterns going on here that predicate you to dating schmucks. My aunt spent too much time with losers and too little time seeing some bad patterns, now her kids are in their 20s and really messed up. Focus on yourself and your kids for a while, and start with a nice, cleansing vacation.

I would also suggest, especially if he was supposed to go with you on this trip, that you maybe plan to stay at your aunt's house or somewhere else the night before you leave, lest you wake to find your tires slashed. He might be vindictive of the fact that the Law is after him and may want to make your life miserable trying to get out and enjoy your vacation. Especially since it sounds like you're leaving on a Saturday which gives him a Friday night to get drunk and get crazy ideas. Hopefully his mom is keeping him under control.
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #97
DVCJones
DIS Veteran
 
DVCJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,012

First, I am so sorry this is happened to you!!! I hope he is caught quickly and you see some justice for what he did to you.

Second, I also think you should go. Not going is not going to save you that much money. You still need to eat at home. Right? In fact, you would lose thousands of dollars if you don't go.

Third, please take the necessary steps to insure your safety. I assume he knows about your trip and may be waiting for you when you get back. He will have all that time to stew on the fact that you are pressing charges and may want revenge. It has been my experience that abusers think THEY are the victim and act out when they no longer have control of their victims.

Please be safe and come back and let us know all about your trip. Enjoy!!!
__________________
DVCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #98
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors
 
eliza61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 18,954

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
From a budget board standpoint, the only issue that is implied is that her emergency fund was not large enough for the unseen expenses involved in having your boyfriend beat you and getting yourself safe. I think that is falling under "budgetary misdemeanors" and I wouldn't sweat it. To pay for the trip in full, the only thing that is required is she skips some planned table service, skips souvenirs and avoids up charges on the cruise - big whoop - that's what the trips of 80% of the people here are like....but you can't win around here, if you post that you've saved up enough money to take a trip and keep your emergency fund untouched - even though the washer broke last week you were able to replace that money into your emergency fund without touching your trip funds, you are accused of stealth bragging.
We need a "bowing down" smilie. Thank you Crisi.

How in the world did people get so rigid?

hey I found it!!
__________________
"He who dies with the most toys is still dead"
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #99
angierae
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,349

She said the $400 was all she had left out of her trip fund, not all the money she has, period. She has spent a lot of money on this trip, and she should go. Her at-home problems will still be there when she gets back, and she can't get any of the already-spent money back anyway.
__________________
Potential Spring 2015 and Fall 2016 trips on the horizon, but who knows!

10-2013 - Pop Century / 4-2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 5-2010 - Pop Century
angierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #100
crisi
DIS Veteran
 
crisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 22,793

Frankly, after a cruise, I'm so sick of eating a big sit down meal in a dining room that I could probably do fine on Dole Whips, granola bars I brought along, and two fast food meals split three ways for a week.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #101
BlueIvy
Earning My Ears

 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 43

Omg @ the meaness on this board by certain posters...I've just dealt with the worst thing I've ever gone through in my life and I'm being told well fine be depressed and broke on your vacation. I have no plans on being depressed. I'm trying to keep my mind off the fact that I was just cheated on,lied to and had the crap beat out of me. I saved for this trip . I planned it for my kids and I plan to enjoy it and escape. As far as emergencies I can control ..I'm packing asprin,dayquil,sleep aids and other medicine we may need on board. My kids are excited for this trip. I never buy lunchables at home but I bought them for my kids as a vacation treat ..they're excited just to have that..and they have their own giftcards for souvenirs . I think we'll make it just fine . Ill have a couple of kids meals and I booked the plaza as our one table service. It doesn't take much to make my kids happy. Ill be happy just being in a different enviroment so I'm not stuck at home being depressed and dwelling on something I can't change. I can't change what happened to me but I can still try to give my kids a nice vacation. I'm not going to deprive my kids on this vacation. If I have to eat a kids meal at every meal just to give them $20 to spend in the arcade than ill do that. I want them to be happy and for them to feel spoiled.
BlueIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #102
BlueIvy
Earning My Ears

 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi
Frankly, after a cruise, I'm so sick of eating a big sit down meal in a dining room that I could probably do fine on Dole Whips, granola bars I brought along, and two fast food meals split three ways for a week.
Were really looking forward to the dole whip floats . We loved them on our last visit.
BlueIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #103
NHTikiBeckie
DIS Veteran
 
NHTikiBeckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 1,805

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIvy View Post
Omg @ the meaness on this board by certain posters...I've just dealt with the worst thing I've ever gone through in my life and I'm being told well fine be depressed and broke on your vacation. I have no plans on being depressed. I'm trying to keep my mind off the fact that I was just cheated on,lied to and had the crap beat out of me. I saved for this trip . I planned it for my kids and I plan to enjoy it and escape. As far as emergencies I can control ..I'm packing asprin,dayquil,sleep aids and other medicine we may need on board. My kids are excited for this trip. I never buy lunchables at home but I bought them for my kids as a vacation treat ..they're excited just to have that..and they have their own giftcards for souvenirs . I think we'll make it just fine . Ill have a couple of kids meals and I booked the plaza as our one table service. It doesn't take much to make my kids happy. Ill be happy just being in a different enviroment so I'm not stuck at home being depressed and dwelling on something I can't change. I can't change what happened to me but I can still try to give my kids a nice vacation. I'm not going to deprive my kids on this vacation. If I have to eat a kids meal at every meal just to give them $20 to spend in the arcade than ill do that. I want them to be happy and for them to feel spoiled.
Don't let those responses bother you...it's only been a couple posters and you have received a ton of support...I know those stick out, but they are definitely the minority here. Have a great time!
__________________


Disney World videos I made!

http://vimeo.com/7316001 (MGM & Animal Kingdom)

http://vimeo.com/7315073 (Epcot)

http://vimeo.com/7316111 (Magic Kingdom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjHXWMp1uhI (Christmas and Fun outside the parks)
NHTikiBeckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #104
Zeebs
DIS Veteran
 
Zeebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK... a long long way from my New Zealand roots.
Posts: 2,017

Best of luck to you, I am pleased you contacted Safe Haven and have the support of them. Go have a fantastic time, that's plenty of money to take with you and feed yourself and two little ones.

To the people who think this is a scam or lies - you know what I do on facebook when people continually share stuff that is clearly a scam, well apart from uttering the words you edjit, I ignore them. It's that easy you don't need to reply.

Kirsten
__________________
Zeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #105
lilkimmyk
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 258

Good for you! You are being so strong for your kids! Enjoy your vacation and try to relax! Have fun!
lilkimmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: