Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #31
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobright View Post
Anyone remember the recent thread about throwing things off the balcony? Anyone else checking the dates that OP mentioned? They wouldn't kick you out of the resort for throwing a kid out of your balcony would they? I mean if you had already paid?
Are you trying to be funny? If so, it's really not needed here.

AKK
Old 09-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #32
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobright View Post
what, nobody else thought it was a little kismet that we have a thread about throwing stuff off the balcony into animal kingdom and a story about a kid "falling" off the balcony into animal kingdom within a week of each other?

I'm the bad guy for noticing that? I'm not trying (hard or otherwise) to be funny, i just find this confluence of events (considering the reletively good condition of the kid/victim) interesting and ponderous and maybe just a bit suspicious.

Nobody else thinks this situation smells a bit funny?
no!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #33
lylone
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them

So, if it is not the parents' fault for not watching the child...who's fault is it?
Should Disney put plexiglass over all the balconies like they do on their cruise ships?

If you have a child that is a climber and/or has other tendencies to get in harms way...then remove them from the situation. Maybe stay at a Moderate/Value until they get older.

I have never been able to understand how it is a grocery store's fault if child falls out of a shopping cart. And god forbid you ask the parent to have the child sit down in the cart. You get a dirty look and a mind your own business.
Yes, I have been in that situation.

Instead of allowing them to sit in the cart, make them walk or use a different cart or don't take them to the store!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #34
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I hope she is ok. I was always terrified of this type of thing when my son was small. We'd go on cruises and wouldn't get balcony rooms and would hold his hand on any outside decks. My stomach would drop just looking at them because it would be so easy for something to happen in a split second. I did watch him like a hawk but all I am going to say in this situation is I am just extremely thankful it never happened to us. I don't think it's necessary to assign blame anywhere. It was an unfortunate accident.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #35
Nixie
DIS Veteran

I do hate how on these boards how everyone jumps to find fault at terrible accidents. Why does it have to be someone fault?? Does that really make it any better??

Old 09-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #36
Crystal Brewer
Mouseketeer

I checked this thread as we are at ASSports since Saturday and DH caught this on the news last night yet couldn't remember resort so I was quizzical. Now I know that yet the thread has once again turned to a debate because "O' I'm a perfect parent! This HAD to be irresponsible parenting!" BULL BOLOGNA!!! It takes 2 seconds !! There was a child here 12-13 y.o. whom broke his arm while playing kickball on the football turf...Yes,there were others playing whom knocked him down causing the bone to almost come out of skin tho the parents didnt blame the other kids nor Disney...it was an ACCIDENT!!! My heart goes out to the parents as I'm sure this was terrifying so glad she will be ok. Lets hope karma doesn't come back to those pointing fingers here!!!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #37
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixie View Post
I do hate how on these boards how everyone jumps to find fault at terrible accidents. Why does it have to be someone fault?? Does that really make it any better??
It doesn't make it better, but neither does saying the parents have no fault at all. Saying there is not fault is saying it can't be prevented. Which is not true.

Hopefully some good can come out of something like this happening--maybe a few parents will check the lock on the balcony door when they enter their room, maybe they will be more vigilant in watching their little ones. Maybe some will even decide to forgo a balcony until their kids are older.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #38
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixie View Post
Someone is always at fault, a child falling off a balcony doesn't just happen.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #39
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
How kind of you to tell me what I believe - you are quite wrong in your assumptions about my beliefs, btw.
No? Then what do you mean by this?
Quote:
I had a fearless climbing child and I cannot imagine leaving him on a balcony unless I was out there sitting w/ him when he was age 6. I also cannot imagine not reacting to seeing said child pull a table up to the railing and stopping him right there - there's only one reason a child would pull a table to a balcony railing and that's to climb on top of it, and I would have been grabbing him long before he had a chance to climb up on said table.
It seems to me that you are saying that something like this could never happen to you because you did everything right when your "fearless climbing child" was young.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #40
kellylfitz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Someone is always at fault, a child falling off a balcony doesn't just happen.
Yeah, but nobody on this board was there. No question the parents could have been negligent, but it doesn't mean that they were. Short of handcuffing your kids to your wrist, you can't control every move they make all the time. Turn your back for 10 seconds and a tragic accident can happen. 99.999999% of the time it doesn't, but I personally don't feel right passing blame on the parents without knowing the whole story. There is a chance that they simply lost track of the kid for 5 or 10 seconds (even if they were on the balcony with them) and a tragic accident happened. It could happen to anyone. Not saying that is what happened here, but since I wasn't there, I won't take it upon myself to judge them.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #41
Nixie
DIS Veteran

Do you know how fast children can move? The article said Dad was in the shower. Maybe Mom went into the bathroom to brush her teeth or something and thought the kiddo was still happily lounging on the bed watching Disney cartoons only to find her out on the balcony when she came back outta the bathroom.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #42
Harlemgirl720
DIS Veteran

Almost happened to me last year. We were at BLT on the 12th floor. Turned head for a second and my then 5 yr old grandson was standing on the table near the railing. Almost lost it. He was given a stern lecture. It was crazy because I live on the 10th floor with a balcony and my mother lives on the
18th floor with a balcony and he knows better. But no matter how much you talk to them they are still curious.

My heart goes out to the family. It could happen to anyone. Just so glad the girl is ok.

Last edited by Harlemgirl720; 09-04-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #43
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellylfitz View Post
Yeah, but nobody on this board was there. No question the parents could have been negligent, but it doesn't mean that they were. Short of handcuffing your kids to your wrist, you can't control every move they make all the time. Turn your back for 10 seconds and a tragic accident can happen. 99.999999% of the time it doesn't, but I personally don't feel right passing blame on the parents without knowing the whole story. There is a chance that they simply lost track of the kid for 5 or 10 seconds (even if they were on the balcony with them) and a tragic accident happened. It could happen to anyone. Not saying that is what happened here, but since I wasn't there, I won't take it upon myself to judge them.

Very, very well put.

And judging each other's parenting is going to send this thread to a premature death. Just sayin'.....
Old 09-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #44
jaykorf001
DIS Veteran

Didn't the article say this was a 6 year old girl? We certainly let our 4 year old (almost 5 at the time) go out on the balcony and look at the animals while we were in the room getting ready. Did we keep an eye on him? Yes. Were there moments we were not watching? Yes. This is why we paid for the upgraded room so we could see the animals at will. It seems some on this board never let their children out of their sight.

I'm glad the little girl is going to recover.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #45
yarlenna
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilby View Post
I do not watch my 6 year old all the time, I honestly don't know any parent that does. I go take showers and leave him downstairs all the time. Do you bring your 6 year old into the shower or hire a sitter when you need to go do something like throw a load of laundry in? I can look any door I want, but at 6 years old he can open any lock he feels like. This wasn't a 3 year old.

Seriously, think about it, do you REALLY have your eye on your 6 year old every second of the day?
Yes! When I was 6 years old - I gave my Mother gray hair. I could get out of the house and away in seconds. That was with locks up high.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: