Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
maplesuga
Earning My Ears

Question Parking for Downtown Disney

My sister and I are going to Orlando for a quickie weekend in about 2 weeks, and I have a question about parking for Downtown Disney.

I understand the parking is free, however with all the renos, they've closed three of the lots. As we'll be there no earlier than 5 on a Saturday, I expect the lots to be pretty busy, and parking to be particularly bad.

The last time I went (last year) we stayed at Port Orleans, and took the ferry over. I spoke with someone at the resort, and she said they can give us a 3-hour parking pass, but if we take the ferry, we may not get back in time.

We'll be staying off property, and renting a car this time, but I'm afraid of the parking situation at Downtown Disney. If I park at Port Orleans, and miss the 3-hour return window, am I likely to be towed? I recall from last year that the lots were basically empty (we went down there the same time last year), so it's not like resort guests will be upset at a lost spot.

If it makes a difference, we'll be going to the Magic Kingdom the following day and paying for parking - in fact, if it's easier I would be completely happy to pay for parking at one of the parks and take a bus or some other Disney transportation if that was an option, but I understand that there are no direct buses between Downtown Disney and the parks. We could take a cab, but we're Canadian and won't have a cell phone down there, so we can't really call a cab to come and get us at the end of the night either. Additionally, the cab is $20+ both ways (figured it out on an online fare calculator).

Any insight would be helpful. I want to be clear: I'm not trying to get "free" parking, and would even be happy to pay for parking at another park, or the resort. What I'm trying to do is avoid the massive anxiety of a full Downtown Disney lot at prime dinner time, in a city I hardly know (ie - can't take the bus, don't know of any "close by" options, etc.,).
maplesuga is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: