Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #1936
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

I just stumbled across this part of the DISboards and it couldn't have come at a better time!

Backstory: I was athletic and active in high school and then I went away to college where I duel majored in aerospace and mechancal engineering and had no time to work out. I gained weight all through college. I got a job that required me to travel 75% of the time so I was eating out and working 80 hr weeks. When my Dad died suddenly, I decided I needed a life change and started to run to get rid of the stress from work and my life. I lost 60 lbs by making a point to put my health and workouts before work, watching what I was eating and giving up soda. After my weight loss, I got back into running, I had run track in high school and even went to States. I met my husband, got engaged and was motivated by my wedding dress. We ran the WDW marathon together shortly after we were married.

So fast forward to now: We have been married 1.5 years and I have fallen back into some old habits, have gained about 20 lbs back and need some motivation. Once I had completed the marathon, I stopped training as I felt as I had reached my peak. My husband is 6'5" and weighs 170. He is a beanpole who eats non-stop. He is a 2.5 hr marathoner and eats like it. He is always eating and therefore I eat. Plus, there is so much junk food in our house, something I never had at my apartment. Hubby does all the grocery shopping and cooking, which I am thankful for but it is killing me! We are going on a cruise in May and lots of my dresses are tight or don't fit. I would like to lose 10 lbs before the cruise and then more weight once we get back. I hate the fact that I am back into the 200's again(in my defense, I am over 6' tall)

So I am going to commit myself to:
running 4x a week with spin class 2x a week and lifting.
Stop eating when I am full (and don't keep eating just because hubby put it on my plate)
Have hubby pick up healthy snacks (and hide the girl scout cookies)
Put my eating habits in my hands and not my hubby's
Elimate Alcohol

hopefully this will keep me accountable!
WVURunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #1937
DisneyMagicMomma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner View Post
I just stumbled across this part of the DISboards and it couldn't have come at a better time!

So I am going to commit myself to:
running 4x a week with spin class 2x a week and lifting.
Stop eating when I am full (and don't keep eating just because hubby put it on my plate)
Have hubby pick up healthy snacks (and hide the girl scout cookies)
Put my eating habits in my hands and not my hubby's
Elimate Alcohol

hopefully this will keep me accountable!
Those sound like excellent goals!! I definitely think it will help if DH knows you are trying to get fit. Maybe he can make smaller portions or you can use a smaller plate. Keep us updated! And have fun on your vacation!

~ T i f f a n y

WDW- 1/2007, 5/2010, anticipating 10/2014 After graduation of nursing school
DisneyMagicMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #1938
SoScary'09
Has Friends on the Other Side

Had to stop by this thread since I hadn't in awhile and say that I've met my goal Started earlier this year at 136, as I'd been slipping into old habits since my past Disney trip in 2011. Back to eating better and it feels great. Original goal was 125 but stepped on the scale yesterday and was surprised it was 122. And guys- NO starvation involved. Three meals a day, especially breakfast! I've eaten a little junk too along the way, the key is simply moderation.

So thanks again to the boards for helping me out. Guess I'd like to be 120 for my trip, almost there. After that, will just look to maintain. Oh and PS- first time I ever posted in this thread in 2009, I was 153. I've come a long way since then and the am thrilled! :D

Halloween '09:-CR Halloween '11:-Poly Halloween '13-BC March '14: First DL Trip
SoScary'09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #1939
DisneyMagicMomma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoScary'09 View Post
Had to stop by this thread since I hadn't in awhile and say that I've met my goal Started earlier this year at 136, as I'd been slipping into old habits since my past Disney trip in 2011. Back to eating better and it feels great. Original goal was 125 but stepped on the scale yesterday and was surprised it was 122. And guys- NO starvation involved. Three meals a day, especially breakfast! I've eaten a little junk too along the way, the key is simply moderation.

So thanks again to the boards for helping me out. Guess I'd like to be 120 for my trip, almost there. After that, will just look to maintain. Oh and PS- first time I ever posted in this thread in 2009, I was 153. I've come a long way since then and the am thrilled! :D
Way to go!!

~ T i f f a n y

WDW- 1/2007, 5/2010, anticipating 10/2014 After graduation of nursing school
DisneyMagicMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #1940
FrugalFashionista
Mouseketeer

Terrified of starting this process. I am the person that doesn't set a goal without knowing I can achieve it. I'm not sure I can do this but I'm trying to tell myself "Baby Steps". I am 5'4" and 170lbs, two children (DD6,DS5), and I am in nursing school.

I'm not sure how I am going to fit in time to exercise so my first goal is to improve my nutrition.
FrugalFashionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #1941
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFashionista View Post
Terrified of starting this process. I am the person that doesn't set a goal without knowing I can achieve it. I'm not sure I can do this but I'm trying to tell myself "Baby Steps". I am 5'4" and 170lbs, two children (DD6,DS5), and I am in nursing school.

I'm not sure how I am going to fit in time to exercise so my first goal is to improve my nutrition.
You can do it! One good thing to remember is you didn't get there in one day, you won't get back in one day either. I tell myself that a lot.

Set a goal you know you can achieve. Focusing on your nutrition is a great start. And it's easy to do.
Goal one can be swapping an unhealthy food choice for a good one. Soda for water. Potato chips for kale chips. Fries for veggies.
I'd also get a few basic kitchen necessities. Measuring cups, measuring spoons and a food scale. These will become your new best friends, I promise.

A great place to go is MyFitnessPal.com you can register for free on the website and they have an app. You set an x amount of pounds per week weight loss goal, plug in your numbers and it will tell you how many calories a day you need to eat. They have a huge data base with foods in it. And a database for exercise. You can also build recipes so if it's something you make regularly you have that info on hand. You can also add your favorite restaurant foods. And if they don't have a particular item and you have the nutrition info, you can add it to the database.
There are quite a few DISers on MFP, me included. If you join and want a friend feel free to add me, same username as here. It's a great tool for understanding serving sizes and calories.

Also join our monthly challenges here too. We have wonderful members in all stages of their journeys. It's great to have a support system in place.

Good luck!!! I know you can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards
Old 06-08-2013, 01:41 AM   #1942
o0quirkygirl0o
just a little mischievous

Hi! I'd love to join in on the challenge.

I've been overweight all of my life, to varying degrees. I was really large in High School, then started exercising and doing Slim For Life during college and dropped down nearly 45 pounds. I kept the weight off after college while working on my feet at Target for a year.

Then I went back to school... and the weight all came back on, and then some. I was feeling super miserable and uncomfortable in my own body. After graduating I started working at a desk job. I still was not getting enough exercise.

Then, I weighed myself last month and saw the highest number of my life. And, one I had promised myself never to reach. I knew I had to do something.

My wedding is coming up in October and I want to look and feel great. Plus, I want to feel awesome on our Disney honeymoon. It would be an added bonus that I'll look better in all our pictures.

So, with that being said, I've started watching what I eat and not eating out nearly as often. When we do go out, I try to pick something that is better for me and not a big greasy burger. My fiance and I also started walking every evening. At the beginning of this week I decided to step things up and added in the Couch to 5k program to our routine. The first week was a bit killer, but I'm feeling better today, and the trek was easier on me than the two times before.

I'm logging everything on MFP and would love to have a community I can come to for support on those days when things aren't feeling as easy, or when I'm super proud and need to share my victory.

I would love to find that support here. Thanks.

Me DH
o0quirkygirl0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #1943
Jennifer84
Mouseketeer

I am definitely in!

A little background- Growing up I was always thin, even in high school. When I graduated I was a size 9 (juniors). Since then, I have had 3 children, and gained over 100 lbs. I am now in a size 18/20. I love food, especially sweets. I know I am setting a bad example for my kids when they ask "What's for dessert?" after every meal. They are all perfect, weight-wise, but that could go downhill very fast. My dad passed away in 2009 from heart disease caused by high blood pressure at the age of 52. His weight was a factor in that.

My goals-
To eat healthier is my main goal. I want to set a better example for my kids.

I also have a goal to lose 80 lbs by my WDW trip, which is April 2014.

My brother has lost 40 lbs recently using Herbalife, so I am going to do 1 meal replacement with one of their shakes (he does two a day, but I can't drink all my meals!).

I also want to get walking, so that I am completely comfortable walking 8 miles a day. Considering that right now I can barely walk 1 mile, this is probably my biggest goal.
2 Princesses and a Prince visit for the fisrt time ~ April 2014
April 2014 PTR
Jennifer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #1944
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoScary'09 View Post

Great Job!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer84 View Post
I am definitely in!

A little background- Growing up I was always thin, even in high school. When I graduated I was a size 9 (juniors). Since then, I have had 3 children, and gained over 100 lbs. I am now in a size 18/20. I love food, especially sweets. I know I am setting a bad example

for my kids when they ask "What's for dessert?" after every meal. They are all perfect, weight-wise, but that could go downhill very fast. My dad passed away in 2009 from heart disease caused by high blood pressure at the age of 52. His weight was a factor in that.

My goals-
To eat healthier is my main goal. I want to set a better example for my kids.

I also have a goal to lose 80 lbs by my WDW trip, which is April 2014.

My brother has lost 40 lbs recently using Herbalife, so I am going to do 1 meal replacement with one of their shakes (he does two a day, but I can't drink all my meals!).

I also want to get walking, so that I am completely comfortable walking 8 miles a day. Considering that right now I can barely walk 1 mile, this is probably my biggest goal.
Each journey begins with a step. Start with a couple of blocks and build up from there. Get the kids to go with you. Sounds like you are on the right track.
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #1945
MrsJessica
Earning My Ears

I'm in!

About me - Always a bit overweight, but athletic. I've never been able to lose weight (even running marathons...), but I've maintained from high school (soon to be 30 in Feb). Now, with some med issues and new rx, plus lack of exercise, this past 1.5 years I've steadily increased from around 154 to 167, size 8/10 to 10/12. My clothes are starting to not fit, dresses especially. It's frustrating and miserable, but probably just what I need as I have no intention of buying a whole new wardrobe to accommodate this new size...

Now, my health is in check and I can see a goal. We're planning a Disney trip in January and I'd like to enjoy looking at our pictures when we come home! Even sooner is a wedding abroad with friends that knew me -15lb ago. More pictures that I would like to enjoy...

I've started running again and am keeping it low key for now with the C25k app, and some stairs near my apartment. Nutrition is alright as long as I stay away from late night eating...with a new husband, I've just been noticing this! Sure, we're eating healthy, but it's a whole 4th meal...at 11pm...

Might as well just say it now - My goal is to be back to my normal weight range by the wedding in mid-October and further along by Disney. I've never been able to break the 149 invisible barrier, so anything beyond that is where I'd like to be
MrsJessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #1946
mandyloowho
Earning My Ears

Hey y'all! I'm Amanda! I'm anxious to get in on this.

I've been chubby since middle school...not fat but thick. I equate it to lack of nutrition at home and no emphasis on physical activity.

I went through nursing school out of high school and that packed on a few more pounds, then I got married and had a baby...all while moving 3 times in the past 4 years. STRESSFUL. I've gained weight like crazy and weigh more than the day I delivered my kiddo.

I'm currently 5'7 and 230. I'd like to make my first goal to be about 175. I'd also LOVE to run in the TB 1/2 or the Princess 1/2. LOVE.

I'm a beginner (VERY BEGINNER) runner. I need to eat out less and cut out soda.

I look forward to getting to know y'all.
mandyloowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #1947
jesswindsor
DIS Veteran

Hello!! My name is Jessica I am 31 years old and I am a Pooh Sized, All Things Disney Lover. I am in the worst shape of my life, and have tried different "diets" in the past and I have lost weight, but then I would gain the weight back. I want to try a different method. My overall goal is to be healthy. One of my biggest passions in life is Disney, and I am going to use my next Disney trip as my motivation. On my last trip, I had a difficult time walking, and it really ruined the trip for me. I was also tired of looking at all the cute Disney clothing and nothing fit me. I decided then that the next time I visited the world I wanted to be able to walk and enjoy my trip. So far the only goals I have is to Drink a lot of Water everyday, Focus on eating healthier foods, and creating a exercise habit. I'm ready for the Challenge!!!!
Old 09-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #1948
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesswindsor View Post
Hello!! My name is Jessica I am 31 years old and I am a Pooh Sized, All Things Disney Lover. I am in the worst shape of my life, and have tried different "diets" in the past and I have lost weight, but then I would gain the weight back. I want to try a different method. My overall goal is to be healthy. One of my biggest passions in life is Disney, and I am going to use my next Disney trip as my motivation. On my last trip, I had a difficult time walking, and it really ruined the trip for me. I was also tired of looking at all the cute Disney clothing and nothing fit me. I decided then that the next time I visited the world I wanted to be able to walk and enjoy my trip. So far the only goals I have is to Drink a lot of Water everyday, Focus on eating healthier foods, and creating a exercise habit. I'm ready for the Challenge!!!!
I'm a little late on this! How are you doing? I have taken a couple of DL trips since losing weight and it makes a huge difference! Things you didn't realize were more difficult, are so much easier!
keahgirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #1949
huckleberrykate
Mouseketeer

Smile Please count me in

I have struggled with my weight since high school. I have watched the scale climb and fall. I have tried every whacky diet ever created and failed at them all. In Jan of 2012 I saw the scale hit a number I never thought I would see and was mortified, but was not ready to stage my own intervention. In March I decided to make some changes and signed up to do a 5K, and then did one every month for the remainder of the year. I did the Peachtree which is a 10K in July of that year. The weight started to come off, but still was not really controlling my intake of food. I suffered the I am running there for I can eat whatever I want philosophy, so my weight loss was hit or miss and often stalled. I did my 1st 1/2 marathon in March of this year and then took a 2 month hiatus from running and struggled to complete my 2nd Peachtree in July. I am a huge fan of Pinterest and saw a quote right after my Peachtree debacle that said "Here is a weight loss secret-there is no secret Stop eating garbage and get off your booty!"
Well for whatever reason this finally kinda hit home. I continued to run and have my first full marathon at the end of this month. I have added biking to help give my knees a rest on some days.
I dropped about 20 lbs last year when I started running, but really did not see any really weight lost until 4 months ago when I really started paying attention to everything that goes into my mouth. I try not to restrict foods, but just really pay attention to the quantity I intake. Thanks to the LoseIt app I am down a total of 50 lbs as of yesterday ! I have not seen this weight since my first years of college which was very long ago! I still have about 40 or so lbs I would like to lose. I am so glad I can share this with like minded people and look forward to following everyone's progress!

huckleberrykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #1950
dreamseeker9
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone! Happy to have found this forum, thanks to a mention from the DIS Disneyland podcast when discussing healthy food options at DL & DCA. I'm going to DL/DCA for the first time in just a little over 6 weeks, I can't wait!

About me - I feel like I've always struggled with my weight, but it got out of control about 12 years ago. I'm now insulin resistant, and I don't want to develop Type 2 diabetes. I've had some success with weight loss, losing 25 pounds in 2009 and again last year, but unfortunately I put most of that weight back on. So now I'm back at it. I've lost 6 pounds in the last 2.5 weeks, so I'm thrilled about that.

I'm currently at 239.6 - yes, that 0.6 of a pound is very important if it puts me in the 230s! My first goal is 229 by Thanksgiving - that's the day I fly to Los Angeles to visit my brother, and then we're going to DL/DCA one day the following week.

My second goal is to be below 200 pounds by April 2014. This is a lofty goal. I haven't been below 200 pounds since 2000. I've been thinking of a big reward for this milestone, and I think it just might be a trip to WDW! I'm still playing around with that idea, and it may have to be a solo trip if I can't talk any friends into going again (some of us went last November).

After I see 199 on the scale, I'll break down my goals into smaller increments, with my overall goal being 150.

Right now, I'm doing various exercise DVDs - I love Jillian Michaels workouts! Tough but very rewarding! I like going to the occasional Zumba class. I love power walking in the park or on the streets here in NYC. I tried tonight the C25K app, but when I tried it last year for a week, the jogging really hurt my knee, so I don't want a repeat of that.

Looking forward to exploring this forum and getting to know everyone and cheer everyone on!
Dec. 3, 2013 - Disneyland
March-April 2014 - WDW - CSR
dreamseeker9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: