Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #91
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post

My DH has been visiting WDW since there was just the MK, and he alway as stayed at the CR. WHen he took us, we stayed there so he was surprised we did nto choose that resort when we began visiting now that we have a DGD. Back then, the CR was that modern structure that exemplified WDW. Kind of that contradiction between past tales that the MK detailed, and that future that WDW was heading towards. He loved everything it stood for, literally.

Looking at it now, I see a gigantic toaster. If he insisted we stay there, we would, but I think the rest of the family still breathes a sigh of relief every time we book anywhere else
We started our madness at CR back in 1977.... It was the place to be... We always stayed in the north garden wing... My father wouldn't stay in anything over 4 floors.... Fire department couldn't reach back then....

Many trips to WDW and all were at the CR... We enjoyed the Pueblo Room, Monorail Club, Outer Rim and especially the Fiesta Fun Center... Best game room on property for many years...

Then the changes began and we list interest in the resort... Shrinking the game room and then moving it upstairs ruined it... Still holds memories, might have to do a return visit some day...

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #92
JennaWest
Mouseketeer

The Poly

I know I know everyone will think I am crazy but I have to say I love the look of the resort and the pool is okay the restaurants are fun the lobby is warm and beautiful but the rooms are just blah...for all the hype and rave and the price I would expect more.

WDW many times from 1994-1998 with family, December 2005 Allstar sports, September 2008 1st DVC stay split AKV w/ safari tour/ BCV! January 2010 Pop Century, January 2011 AKV Kidani September 2011 Labor Day Weekend OKW? September 25-27 2013 Beach Club Villas & Animal Kingdom Villas Club level!!
JennaWest is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #93
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfin View Post
Just wanted to say thank you. This was SPOT ON! I just came back from a 10 day stay, and I could not believe the amount of rude people from these particular "groups"! It's not a coincidence. Almost ALL of the line cutting, pushing & shoving, and obnoxious behavior I witnessed was from South Americans. Mostly young, but holy crap I just couldn't believe how bad they were acting. Does this mean that EVERY person from Brazil is like this? No. It just means that EVERY a-hole I ran into coincidentally was Brazilian. I'm sure there are plenty of great people from South America. Unfortunately though, and everyone that's been to Disney, has witnessed these same types of rude, and obnoxious behavior from a large percentage of them. So why is that? The people I ran into weren't all young, so it's not an age issue. Is it a cultural issue? Are the things I consider rude, like screaming on a crowded bus or cutting a line, considered "normal" in South America? Is it "OK" to push people aside to get on the Monorail for a seat "OK" in South America? Am I just missing a difference in cultural normalities here? Whatever the reasons, they exist, whether or not we call it stereotyping or not, there's a problem in that culture, and I'm definitely not the only one that sees it. Many people around us from all over the World were commenting on it throughout our trip.
It is a cultural thing...most of them are from very wealthy self important families and they come in their winter (our July) it is very common for them to push and shove other people as that is what they do back at home. They spend a lot of money on disney which is why disney does nothing about their horrible behavior. I think it is a crime! To be fair though a lot of the South Americans aren't like that and don't like being lumped into the btg and their bad behavior. But it makes for a horrible experience and I think disney needs to get a handle on it.

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #94
acastmember
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post

Looking at it now, I see a gigantic toaster. If he insisted we stay there, we would, but I think the rest of the family still breathes a sigh of relief every time we book anywhere else
I will never be able to go past CR again, without envisioning a giant piece of toast popping out!
Old 08-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #95
IslandAdventure4
Salt Life Livin

any of the All-Star resorts. Only because there are to many groups booked there. (Cheer, Karate, tour groups etc.)

11/13 Caribbean Beach - 1/12 Saratoga Springs - 11/09 POR - 1/08 All Star Sports - 01/07 Saratoga Springs - 01/01 All Star Movies - 2/99 Caribbean Beach

IslandAdventure4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #96
gorkt
Mouseketeer

I have stayed at (so far) these hotels and I'll rank from least to most favorite.

Contemporary - too sterile of an atmosphere
All Star Music - just very blah and non-Disney
Wilderness cabins -I liked the rooms and amenities but the bus rides were long to get anywhere and the cabins were too close together.
POR - Overall very nice - I liked the food court and relaxing atmosphere.
Boardwalk - LOVED the short walk to Epcot - not really loving the lack of quick service food choices though.
Wilderness Lodge - My hands down fave resort anywhere for theming - I could be happy just sitting in the lobby all day! So cozy!
DS Orion 9

Many trips as a child and young adult
Dec 2006 - First Family Trip - BWV / All Star Music Suites
Nov 2009 - 10 day Wilderness extravaganza - 5 nights Cabins/5 Nights WLV
Nov 2013 - AoA Finding Nemo - Nov 2-11th

Hopefully returning in 2015-2016!
gorkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #97
married2mm
DIS Veteran

We've had fantastic times on all our Disney trips,4 onsite for whole vacations.
7 onsite with 3 one night stays in values.

We've stayed at pop,all star music,all star movies,okw,ssr,por and just returned from pofq.

the only resort we've booked to return to is okw,although we would happily return to pofq-it was beautiful.

Not disliked,but not as loved-music,por,ssr.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #98
flamark
Mouseketeer

All Stars(all of them) and AKL. Because they are so far from everything else.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #99
Craigdarroch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoof View Post
It is a cultural thing...most of them are from very wealthy self important families and they come in their winter (our July) it is very common for them to push and shove other people as that is what they do back at home. They spend a lot of money on disney which is why disney does nothing about their horrible behavior. I think it is a crime! To be fair though a lot of the South Americans aren't like that and don't like being lumped into the btg and their bad behavior. But it makes for a horrible experience and I think disney needs to get a handle on it.
Quick OT... just wait until the Olympics hit Rio. The whole world will get a glimpse of some behaviour that will astonish them. I honestly have no idea why they were awarded the Olympics after the way they behaved when they hosted Pan American. We were there for gymnastics and watched as athletes from every country except Brazil were literally booed, shrieked and bell-rung off off the aparatus. When the Brazilian athletes were on the podium, you could hear a pin drop. It was the most noticeable and reprehensible behaviour I have ever seen.

Back OT... Saratoga Springs.
Craigdarroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #100
circhead
Mouseketeer

Least Favorite - whichever value group is movies. Did it in late July one year after 12 days at BC (big mistake right there) but we wanted to add an extra day and that was the only thing available(should have read the warning signs right there).

Am now a DVC member
Favorite resort is AKL - Jambo
Love the Wilderness Cabins at Fort Wilderness -stay here now sometimes when I want to take advantage of some of the wonderful things going on over there for the grand kids. The horse drawn carriage ride, the pony rides the campfires which are sooo much fun.

Least favorite DVC resort toss up between SSR and CR-BLT.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #101
stephm0188
Mouseketeer

I didn't love POR. The transportation killed it for me. It was the one big glaring negative for an otherwise perfect trip. I don't think I'd stay there again.
stephm0188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #102
Redheaded Sunshine
Mouseketeer

I don't think there's ever really been a resort that I really didn't like. I wasn't crazy about Pop, but like any of the values, it is what it is.

I will say that we loved our room at BC, but the counter service was a bit of a nightmare and all the hallways felt so identical that after a long night at our adult night at F&W....I had to pay VERY close attention going back to the room! That said, we still loved it!
FL Resident MANY visits 2000-2005
POP 2004, AS Movies 2006, AKL Nov 2008
POLY Sept 2009, CONTEMPORARY Oct 2011
BC Oct 2012 CSR Oct 2013!!!!
Redheaded Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #103
scotas
Mouseketeer

I've enjoyed all of the resort's that I've stayed at so far: POP, CBR, CSR, POFQ. we travel with others and will meet up with them at their resorts. I was really unimpressed with the rooms at the Poly, they seemed musty. And I just don't like the themes at AK or GF.

Staying at my first deluxe in a few weeks, CR , I gave in because we are sharing the room with 3 others, but I am not really looking forward to it. I love sitting in a quiet courtyard after a long day in the parks or swimming in a quiet pool. DR doesn't look like it ha either.

1998 off site
2005 Pop Century 50's section
2007 Caribbean Beach Resort - Jamacia
2008 Pop Century - 50's section
2009 Coronado Springs - Cabanas 9B
2010 Coronado Springs - Casistas 3
2011 Coronado Springs - Cabanas 9B
2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 (Jan.) Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 (Sept) Contemporary Resort
2014 (Feb.) Caribbean Beach Resort
scotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #104
Aurora in blue
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at all of the All Stars, Pop, all of the moderates including FW. Deluxes AKL,WL, and SSR. Hands down the one I disliked the most is CSR, dont like the food court and too "conventiony". We just stayed at All Star Movies in mid August and I liked it more than I thought I would, food court was great. AKL is our all time favorite!
Aurora in blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: