Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
mommyof3princess27
What we've got here is failure to communicate

Vacation planning help....

Not sure if this is in the right section but since it has to do with where we stay it may...

im pricing my vacation now and I think we have decided on dates... i do need some advice though. I have decided on Oct 25th- Nov 2nd (maybe changing it to Oct 24th) and I was just wondering how many ppl get the full 10 day ticket if they were going for 10 days or do you cut it down and take rest days? Obvioulsly I know we will need to rest lol. I was thinking 6 or 7 day tix and then adding wp&m. My other question was: now they have the PH and wp&m at a discounted price..... anyone use this?
Right now we are booked at POR. Hubby wants to stay at Poly BUT I know it will be wayyyy more money. I am not sure if 10 days is even worth it... it seems like a looooong trip! Thoughts? Our kids will be 6 and 10

Erin , DH and DD13 (KC) DD9(Court) and DD5(Moo) plus 2 and 1 chiweenie
Oct 2010 Poly CL 40% code, Dec 2011 POR w/ FDing, Nov 2012 POR RGR w/DxDP, 2014 POR RGR w/Free Dlx Dining
mommyof3princess27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof3princess27 View Post
Not sure if this is in the right section but since it has to do with where we stay it may...

im pricing my vacation now and I think we have decided on dates... i do need some advice though. I have decided on Oct 25th- Nov 2nd (maybe changing it to Oct 24th) and I was just wondering how many ppl get the full 10 day ticket if they were going for 10 days or do you cut it down and take rest days? Obvioulsly I know we will need to rest lol. I was thinking 6 or 7 day tix and then adding wp&m. My other question was: now they have the PH and wp&m at a discounted price..... anyone use this?
Right now we are booked at POR. Hubby wants to stay at Poly BUT I know it will be wayyyy more money. I am not sure if 10 days is even worth it... it seems like a looooong trip! Thoughts? Our kids will be 6 and 10

I would choose 10 day tickets since the cost tends to be so minimal. You can still arrange time for rest and stay at the resort one morning/afternoon and maybe head over to the park for dinner and fireworks. The nice thing about a longer trip is that you have plenty of time to do everything and rest. We tend to keep our trips to 6 or 7 days but we never get the WP&M option since it doesn't interest us and we go in fall/winter. The end of October can start to get cooler temperatures (low 80's, high 70's) so remember that when planning your trip. This is also when Typhoon Lagoon usually closes down for the winter maintenance.

Also, make sure you price out the difference between POR and Poly. Yes the Poly will be more, but you get a bigger room, monorail access, the extra day bed etc. If the difference in price is enough to break the bank, then you know it isn't an option. Perhaps you could negotiate on a shorter trip at the Poly if it is important to your DH. Personally I would choose the longer trip at POR.

1988 Off Site, 1992 Off Site, 1996 ASMusic, 2000 CBR, 2004 POR, 2007 Poly, 2009 POFQ, 2010 POP, 2011 POP, 2013 WL
APiratesLifeForMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Cadyrose
Mouseketeer

You could also look at a split stay so you both get the resort you want but I would do the moderate longer...

I'm assuming 9 nights/10 days (sorry forgot your dates) so you could do POR for 6 or 7 nights and then finish with Poly for 2 or 3 nights depending on price...
Old 09-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

The difference in ticket price between say a 6-day PH and a 10-day PH isn't really that much so we prefer to have enough park entries for our entire stay. If you stay for 9nights/10days, sure, you will probably have a couple of partial rest days, but consider spending at least 1/2 days in the parks. For instance, maybe one of the days you want to go to a water park from Open-3pm, then nap/relax at your resort for a few hours, then go to one of the parks for dinner & fireworks/parade/show (MK for Wishes or Main St Electrical Parade, DHS for Fantasmic, or Epcot for Illuminations). I think it's only about $10/day per adult to add each additional day...so the price difference in an adult ticket from 6-day to 10-day would be about $40ish. I'd personally rather add it on before the trip than have to go add days to my tickets once I'm there.

When my husband and I went in Feb 2012, we stayed 7nights and got 8-day PH tickets. We even spent one day at Universal Studios (did both parks in 1 day)...we were done by 3pm at Universal, so we went back to our Disney resort, relaxed for a while, then entered one of the Disney parks that evening for a few hours. It was great having park entry each day even though we had planned to not go to a Disney park that day. We also park hopped a LOT...that feature is totally worth it to me! We haven't done the water parks, but if we did, we wouldn't want to spend a FULL day at a water park...more like a half day, then relax, and finish the evening with a Disney park.

7 nights would probably be enough time for your family to do everything if you don't do a LOT of relaxing at your resort. If you prefer to have a full day or two off and just play at the resort pool, you may want to do 8 or 9 nights if your budget allows. Maybe skip the water parks & just allow time for your kids to play at the resort pool (most of the resorts have really cool pools). I figure 1 day for AK, 1 day for DHS, 2 days for MK, and 1 or 2 days for Epcot (usually 1 day with kids). Then I like to have 1 spare day to go to whichever parks and repeat our favorite rides (yay for park hoppers!). We loved AK but went during a very slow time of the year so it only took us a 1/2 day to do everything (including riding a couple of the rides twice) so we also went to MK that same day, then went back to MK to finish it up the next day.

Me-30: -&- DH-34:

Last edited by LJSquishy; 09-02-2013 at 03:34 PM.
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
mommyof3princess27
What we've got here is failure to communicate

thats very good advice... thanks! I am looking right now at doing 2 MK days, 2 epcot, 2 AK and 1 DHS and of course that doesnt include MNSSHP and if we get a much wanted ressie and come in for dinner on a rest or wp day you know? and with hopper we can doe RD CP breakfast then rest and do Fantasmic! for dinner.... you do have some great points and we have always done a paarty at night after a park that day and i alwayssay i wont do it again . We always fly in on saturday morning and then buy the time we check in its 10:30 since we get like a 6 or 7am flight BUT the downside is the young kids get tired early so thats why we thought if we fly in friday and maybe do DTD that night for dinner kind of thing or even MK that night would be fun for a few hours. the difference between 9 and 10 days on everything isnt that much so i guess if the flights are cheaper it balances out

Erin , DH and DD13 (KC) DD9(Court) and DD5(Moo) plus 2 and 1 chiweenie
Oct 2010 Poly CL 40% code, Dec 2011 POR w/ FDing, Nov 2012 POR RGR w/DxDP, 2014 POR RGR w/Free Dlx Dining
mommyof3princess27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
Tpiejg
Mouseketeer

If you want to you can wait til you get there to get ten days of tickets. We always go for 8 nights and get 6 days of park tickets. If we want to add a day its a minimal cost, for use it was an extra 10 or 11 dollars per person. Just go to the front desk or guest relations they can add days for you.
Tpiejg is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: