Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #361
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyLynn View Post
I am getting frustrated! My family of 4 flies in Friday, Oct 4th at 8:30pm. We are booked at Hotel Galvez for cruise on the 5th. I cannot find a decent rate on transfers! The best deal I found was with Houston 24 hour airport taxi and town car but all the reviews I find are awful! I looked at renting a car, either one way or for the 8 nights since I could park for free at Hotel Galvez but no good deals that route either. I am seriously bummed and in need of some pixie dust . Please, any help would be appreciated. I know we can always book super shuttle but they don't get good reviews also and when you travel with two kids you don't want to mess around with poor service.
Have you tried rental cars again? There is a September and October car rental thread in the 'transportation' forum that might help you there. We are also a family of 4 arriving at HOU on a Friday. We've rented a car for $202. for the 8 nights and feel pretty good about it. Cheaper than a taxi due to NOT having to tip anyone. Just a thought!

'93 off-site WDW, '94 CBR May & Oct., '98 CBR, '01 CBR, '04 CBR, '05 Peabody, '06 Pop, '06 Embassy Suites, '08 CBR, '09 CBR, '10 CBR, '11 Oct Disney Magic, '12 May CBR, '13 Sept Disney Wonder, Planning for 2015 EBTA!
sullins5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #362
jenhelgren
DIS Veteran

I am now looking into BOI parking for our October cruise after the positive reviews I read on this thread. Is BOI actually closer than the port parking? Is all of BOI parking covered-I think I read that the port parking is not covered-just fenced in-is that correct?
jenhelgren is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #363
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhelgren View Post
I am now looking into BOI parking for our October cruise after the positive reviews I read on this thread. Is BOI actually closer than the port parking? Is all of BOI parking covered-I think I read that the port parking is not covered-just fenced in-is that correct?
We used BOI for our cruise in April. All of their parking is covered as you are actually parking in an old warehouse. It is the closest parking to the cruise terminal, so, yes, it is closer than the port parking. Because it is right across the street, there is no shuttle. My suggestion is to drop bags and one of you stay with the kids (if you have any) then go and park so that only one person has to make the dash across the street and walk to the cruise terminal. It's a short walk, but you have to cross Harborside Drive, and there is no pedestrian crossing so you have to just watch the light to cross.

When we cruised in April I went past BOI twice before I figured out where it was. It is the building on the very corner at Harborside - you drive across the sidewalk into the building and then up a small concrete ramp as you drop off. So you are parked on a very small incline when you get out. They park the vehicle for you. It was easy once we figured out where it was! LOL :

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #364
jenhelgren
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the parking info! I still have a few more Galveston ??'s...

Bike week will begin while we are on our cruise but will be the weekend that we get back. We plan on disembarking and starting the drive home ASAP. Will bike week affect the traffic/closures in Galveston early Saturday morning when we disembark?-Just want to be prepared-starting out the long drive with traffic would not be a happy day for anyone!!

I am also considering Moody Gardens but have seen good and bad reviews and IMO it is pricey. Do they ever offer any specials-Groupon/Living Social-anything like that in October? I saw somewhere that kids can enter one attraction free with a good report card but my kids are homeschooled so I am not sure if we could take advantage of that since they don't actually have quarterly report cards
Old 09-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #365
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

We went to Moody Gardens last year before our cruise on the Magic in November and loved it. You can find photos and a report linked under Christmas Has Come Early in my signature. From memory, The Moody Gardens day is on page 2 or 3.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #366
shaned
Mouseketeer

Last October we parked across from the terminal. I believe the same that ukintheus used. We parked inside of a warehouse. Don't remember the name, but I could drive to it again . We dropped our luggage off with the porters and then parked and walked across Harborside Drive . Will say if your not real sure of where your going you will pass up the driveway or alleyway.

shaned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #367
dcassetta
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Bike week will begin while we are on our cruise but will be the weekend that we get back. We plan on disembarking and starting the drive home ASAP. Will bike week affect the traffic/closures in Galveston early Saturday morning when we disembark?-Just want to be prepared-starting out the long drive with traffic would not be a happy day for anyone!!
I'm so glad you mentioned this. On the webpage for the rally it does show that their events are going to be taking place close to the cruise terminal. However, I would guess that 9 o'clock in the morning would not be a busy time for the bike rally, so hopefully cruisers can get off the ship and move out of the area before the rally event starts.

\
I've eaten at 159 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
dcassetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #368
jenhelgren
DIS Veteran

Is BOI Valet unavailable for Disney Passengers this fall?? I just tried to arrange parking on the link from BOI's website and was told that there was no parking available for my sail date. It is still a couple months out so I tried searching other sail dates from Oct-Dec and they all show unavailable. I thought there was something in the beginning of the thread about the same thing happening with the Magic last fall. Is it worth calling the 800 to try and book or do they not service Disney cruisers anymore?
Old 09-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #369
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is BOI Valet unavailable for Disney Passengers this fall?? I just tried to arrange parking on the link from BOI's website and was told that there was no parking available for my sail date. It is still a couple months out so I tried searching other sail dates from Oct-Dec and they all show unavailable. I thought there was something in the beginning of the thread about the same thing happening with the Magic last fall. Is it worth calling the 800 to try and book or do they not service Disney cruisers anymore?
I think they might be just sold out. It isn't a massive facility. I went online to book for our 9/28 cruise months ago and they were sold out. I am booked at Lighthouse Parking instead.

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
Old 09-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #370
Sydneyandabby
Earning My Ears

We are also cruising out of Galveston in December. We first sailed out of Galveston in March and can't wait to go again in December!
Sydneyandabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:49 AM   #371
shaned
Mouseketeer

I went back and checked to see which parking we used it was "Galveston Park N Cruise".

shaned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #372
kjackson83
Earning My Ears

Quote:
A few months ago I ended up calling BOI to ask about parking for my cruise since it said it was already sold out and the guy said that they open up reservations (online) about a month or two out so that is why it said 'sold out." I would call them directly to find out what your cruise reservation status might be at this time since you are getting close. Our cruise is in November and is still not available to book online just yet.
kjackson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #373
Illini_Fan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackson83 View Post
A few months ago I ended up calling BOI to ask about parking for my cruise since it said it was already sold out and the guy said that they open up reservations (online) about a month or two out so that is why it said 'sold out." I would call them directly to find out what your cruise reservation status might be at this time since you are getting close. Our cruise is in November and is still not available to book online just yet.
That is good to know -- but in my case it lost them business. I was reserving for Thanksgiving week and figured they were truly "sold out" so I reserved at my second choice.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #374
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini_Fan View Post
That is good to know -- but in my case it lost them business. I was reserving for Thanksgiving week and figured they were truly "sold out" so I reserved at my second choice.
Yes, they lost our business too.

Jenny & Scott
Old 09-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #375
jenhelgren
DIS Veteran

I was wondering if anyone has successfully booked BOI lately? I have been trying to reach him for over a week and no answer, so I guess I will have to take my business elsewhere too! I have e-mailed and left multiple messages with no reply at all! What is the next closest parking to the port after BOI? Is it still easily walkable without needing a shuttle? I also had a Galveston question. We have never been to Galveston but I have heard that the beaches/water is not exactly "pretty!" Is there a nice beach area that we could walk along and possibly find some rocks/shells for the kids?? I will be my daughters first time at the beach and she is really bummed that DCl will not allow her to collect and bring home shells!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: