Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #76
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

Sea Day: Part Two

After leaving the DVC presentation my parents and I split up to all do our own thing. I know that I went back to the room to check on the boys; and, if I recall correctly they weren't napping but were just laying around watching TV and playing. If memory serves, we ordered some room service - random things including the cheese plate, my fave! - while I got our clothes out and ready for the evening. Tonight was semi-formal night which meant a trip to the laundry room was in order to get all of our clothes ironed. I think I also checked on available washers as we were in need of some clean clothes, but as expected, they were all taken. Once all the clothes were ironed I laid them out so that we could quickly change after the show. This was the one night I was really hoping to get some good pictures in the lobby so I wanted the process of changing and getting in line for pictures to go smoothly (and quickly).

As an aside, we never wore our dinner clothes to the show. Since we usually got snacks/drinks I was always worried we would spill and ruin them before it was time to go to dinner. Since there is enough time between the two, we chose to just change every night before dinner.

A few minutes before we needed to get to the theater we met up with my parents to make sure we could get seats together. Tonight's show was "Twice Charmed" another first for us. I think this is the show I was most excited for and it didn't disappoint! I was completely engaged from start to finish and was so glad I got the chance to see it. Cinco, however, did not agree with me and got fussy towards the middle of the show. At first he was distracted with the Mickey crackers we got for him. But, that novelty soon wore off and Candi had to take him out to the hallway to avoid him disrupting others. They did make it back in for the show's finale, but since he missed about 15 minutes of it, Candi wasn't quite as taken with the show as I was.

Once the show ended we let my parents know we were going to run to change and then head to the lobby for pictures. They decided to hit the gift shops to look around while we did that, as they weren't interested in any pictures for themselves.

When we got back to the room to change James was being stubborn and having a fit about putting his vest on. The show situation and this should have been major red flags about his mood. But, I was so set on taking pictures that I thought for sure he would be fine once we got back out of the room.

We got to the lobby and looked at the background offerings for the night and chose the one we liked best. It was the nighttime cruise backdrop and yes, it's slightly cheesy, but we still love it The line was somewhat long, but seemed to be moving quickly so we jumped in, knowing we had limited time before we had to be to dinner. As we moved along in line James became more and more active and fussy. He was refusing to be held, but wouldn't stay near us when we let him down to move around. He kept trying to run off and Candi was getting frustrated that he wasn't listening and wanted to just leave the line and forget about the picture. I'm sad to say that things just spiraled downward from there. The next time James started to run off Candi snapped at him, so I snapped at Candi and grabbed the baby and told Candi (I admit, with attitude) that he was just a baby and wanted to walk that he should just stay in line and I would move around with James. I quickly picked up the baby and took off towards the open area of the lobby to let him run around. Well, the baby was none too pleased that I picked him up and started screaming bloody murder. I'm talking the ear piercing, great big crocodile tears, the world is going to end tantrum type screaming. I moved as quickly as I could to let him down, but the damage was done. He was mad, he was tired, he could sense my frustration and his Dad's frustration and he was done for. Nothing I did from that point changed anything. Not letting him down, not taking him over to the windows, not pointing out the characters. Nothing!

At this point I was ready to call defeat and tell Candi to get out of line when one of the Ship Officers (is that the correct term?) came over to talk to James. I'll admit I was more than slightly embarrassed and, at first, was thinking of any way possible to quickly get out of the conversation He was so incredibly nice to James though. He tried doing high fives with him. That didn't work. He tried peek-a-boo. That didn't work. He tried silly faces. That didn't work. At this point I was fighting back tears so hard and I think it was completely noticeable. The Officer told me to wait one second that he would be back. He came back out a minute later with a box of kleenex and told James to take as many as he wanted. If you know toddlers they love to pull wipes out of their container, kleenex out of the box etc. James all of a sudden stopped crying, and looked at me for confirmation that this was ok, but was too hesitant to actually grab one. So the Officer said, well maybe Mommy can show you how it's done. And told me to teach him. Secretly, I think he knew I needed one to dry my own eyes and didn't want to embarrass me. Once I grabbed one that was all James needed. He then reached his little hand out and shrilled with laughter as he pulled out his own. The Officer told him "you need more than one grab another" and so he did. They went back and forth on this for at least 10 kleenex. So much so, that James couldn't stop laughing when they were done. I will forever be grateful for that kind, kind gentleman and what he did for us that evening. Of course, in my current state I didn't even think to grab his name.

My parents took this picture at some point - the Gentleman who saved our night is the one on the end next to my Dad.

I repeatedly thanked the Officer for his kindness (and took my Dad's camera with the above image to the Guest Services desk at the end of the cruise to tell them my experience and how incredible he was) and headed back to the line to find Candi. When we got there we were only 3 people back in line. I apologized for my attitude and told Candi all about what just happened. He said he could see us talking to him and was happy to see James laughing and calmed down. Out turn in line came very quickly after that.

When we looked at our pictures that night Candi apologized for getting frustrated over taking them. That he is glad I remember to push to capture the memories and have "such an obsession" over pictures because time really does move quickly and it's so easy to forget how little Cinc used to be. As a side note, this picture is now enlarged and hanging over Candi's desk at work

By the time we finished up with our pictures it was time to head into dinner. It was a quick hop over as we were in Triton's tonight. I was so happy our rotation had us here for semi-formal night, it really does help to set the mood! As always, the service was great and we all enjoyed our dinner. And, I'm thinking food was part of everyone's foul mood as we all had much bigger smiles after the food hit our bellies!

With dinner complete we had two more things we needed to accomplish that night...
ariel1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #77
luvslikepi
DIS Veteran

Just subscribed. I have a little one that I'm hoping someday we can take on a DisCruise. We had one booked for May but had to cancel because daddy got deployed. Keeping my fingers crossed and living vicariously through your TR.
luvslikepi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #78
amandaw
DIS Veteran

That was so nice of the officers to try and help with James! You did end up with some nice family photos!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #79
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

Knock, knock ... anybody there?

Wow ... 6 months since I've updated this TR ...how is that even possible? In so many ways it feels like those months have flown by in the blink of an eye. And, in others, it seems like time completely stood still.

I do desperately want to finish this TR for so many reasons. Mostly because it was my little man's first Disney trip and I never want to forget those memories. Sadly, I fear that some of them have already been forgotten since it has taken me so long to get it in writing

I am currently uploading the remainder of the pictures to my Photobucket account (yep, over a year since the trip and that hasn't even be completed) and then I plan on hopping in full force to get this done. If for no other reason, so that it's there for me to look back on.

So, what have we been up to since February?

We celebrated Easter - which was a big hit for James. He loved everything about it from getting to dressed up, to going to Church to hunting for Easter eggs.

My belly started to grow

We found out that our sweet little nugget is a baby girl!

Then just a few weeks later (on Mother's Day) we got one of the biggest scares of our lives when we thought we were going to lose our sweet Eliana. I spent 4 weeks on bed rest praying daily that she would pull through and allow us the blessing of having her here on Earth with us. It was a long, trialing, emotional moment in time for our family. Not only did we have to live day by day waiting to hear how our baby girl was doing, I had to also deal with James being away from me 4 days a week because I couldn't care for him while Candi was at work. Then for another 4 weeks following my bed rest I couldn't lift him, run around with him, lay on the floor and play with him ... definitely the moments when it seemed like time just stopped and nothing seemed real. Thankfully with a lot of prayers and faith everything healed itself and our little Ellie is continuing to grow and thrive in my belly.

In the midst of that we celebrated Father's Day

Grandma came to visit ... and help out ... and fly kites

And once we got the all clear we threw caution to the wind and started treating every day possible as a celebration.

We had ice cream dates

And baseball dates

And movie dates

And lunch dates

And shopping dates

Heck, we even played in the rain

And had lots and lots of snuggle time

At one point we even packed up and got away for a few days (I'm hoping to do a mini-TR of this as it was such a special time for our family)

Through all that the tummy continued to grow and grow and grow

And I truly am thankful for each and every inch and pound because it reminds me that our little girl is also growing

And, in a very quick, short synopsis that brings us to now. Where we are counting down the days until Eliana makes her big debut. Only 4 days away from my due date!

Oh and we might be counting down the days to something else too ...

ariel1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #80
o4me2playn
Obsessed with the Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel1025 View Post
Wow ... 6 months since I've updated this TR ...how is that even possible? In so many ways it feels like those months have flown by in the blink of an eye. And, in others, it seems like time completely stood still.

I do desperately want to finish this TR for so many reasons. Mostly because it was my little man's first Disney trip and I never want to forget those memories. Sadly, I fear that some of them have already been forgotten since it has taken me so long to get it in writing

I am currently uploading the remainder of the pictures to my Photobucket account (yep, over a year since the trip and that hasn't even be completed) and then I plan on hopping in full force to get this done. If for no other reason, so that it's there for me to look back on.

So, what have we been up to since February?

We celebrated Easter - which was a big hit for James. He loved everything about it from getting to dressed up, to going to Church to hunting for Easter eggs.

My belly started to grow

We found out that our sweet little nugget is a baby girl!

Then just a few weeks later (on Mother's Day) we got one of the biggest scares of our lives when we thought we were going to lose our sweet Eliana. I spent 4 weeks on bed rest praying daily that she would pull through and allow us the blessing of having her here on Earth with us. It was a long, trialing, emotional moment in time for our family. Not only did we have to live day by day waiting to hear how our baby girl was doing, I had to also deal with James being away from me 4 days a week because I couldn't care for him while Candi was at work. Then for another 4 weeks following my bed rest I couldn't lift him, run around with him, lay on the floor and play with him ... definitely the moments when it seemed like time just stopped and nothing seemed real. Thankfully with a lot of prayers and faith everything healed itself and our little Ellie is continuing to grow and thrive in my belly.

In the midst of that we celebrated Father's Day

Grandma came to visit ... and help out ... and fly kites

And once we got the all clear we threw caution to the wind and started treating every day possible as a celebration.

We had ice cream dates

And baseball dates

And movie dates

And lunch dates

And shopping dates

Heck, we even played in the rain

And had lots and lots of snuggle time

At one point we even packed up and got away for a few days (I'm hoping to do a mini-TR of this as it was such a special time for our family)

Through all that the tummy continued to grow and grow and grow

And I truly am thankful for each and every inch and pound because it reminds me that our little girl is also growing

And, in a very quick, short synopsis that brings us to now. Where we are counting down the days until Eliana makes her big debut. Only 4 days away from my due date!

Oh and we might be counting down the days to something else too ...

So Glad to hear that everything is okay!! Love the pictures of James and can't WAIT to see your pictures of little Eliana!

Congratulations again!

o4me2playn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #81
Cheryl726
DIS Veteran

Your son is cute! Good luck with the baby!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: