Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #136
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Not a fan of the Toy Story show either. Keep the updates coming.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #137
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Fishing for Fun in Ketchikan, Part One

We woke up on Saturday morning with a few hours to kill before arriving in Ketchikan (All Ashore was listed as 11:15). DH and I were glad to have the opportunity to exercise. He went to the fitness center, and I went to Deck 4. Afterwards, we went to breakfast with the kids, and then DD and I went to see Snow White and Dopey. Snow White paid special attention to my DD's shirt, which said something about chocolate. Snow White said she likes chocolate, too.

765 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

766 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

768 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

Donald was out next, so we stuck around and somehow managed to get DH there for the photo.

772 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

774 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

Not long after, we realized the ship was docking early, so we went back to the room and got ready to leave. Our excursion wasn't until 1:30, so we decided to go explore Ketchikan before lunch. I think we left the ship around 10:15 or 10:30.

I loved Ketchikan. It seemed like a picturesque fishing village nestled in the mountains. Skagway's mountains were more imposing, but Ketchikan looked like a postcard to me.

776 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

778 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

My DS had looked for souvenir baseballs in both Skagway and Juneau, but hadn't found any. He hit the jackpot in Ketchikan and found several that he liked. DD also bought a geode with a little Alaskan scene in it (she's all about sparkly things). After we found their souvenirs (it was their last chance to buy in Alaska), we walked up to Creek Street and around town a bit.

(Not sure why DH looks angry in this pic. )

782 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

786 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

789 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

We finished exploring and got back on the ship for lunch. We went to Beach Blanket and ran into our former tablemates. We ran into them for so many breakfasts and lunches during the week that it became a joke. These accidental meals together made all the kids happy, and it was nice for us to sit with adults at one table and kids at another every now and then. They were planning to go to the Lumberjack Show, and we had booked the Bearing Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour. We were all excited, so after visiting for a while, we went our separate ways.

We left the ship a little before 1:00 to go to our tour. When we booked at 31 days out, the Crab Fisherman's Tour was booked on the Bering Sea website and through Disney. I was able to snag four spots through Shoretrips, which cost more than buying directly, but less than Disney's price. I printed vouchers at home, and then handed them over as we boarded the Aleutian Ballad.

We don't watch Deadliest Catch, but the Aluetian Ballad was featured on one of the seasons. The owner has now retrofitted the ship for tourists. When you board, you are in a small arena type area. One tip--sit in the lower section. It seemed pretty warm in Ketchikan, but we knew we'd be out on the water, so we wore layers. We were still FREEZING once we got going. Thankfully, they offer heavy coats to all passengers and have heaters above the seats, but the lower seats are also blocked from the wind by the walls. I was really glad to have an extra buffer from the cold!

When we got on, there were a few things to see in the touch tank, and some fish ready to be used as bait. We claimed seats and then walked around for a few minutes (walking around is used loosely...the ship was much smaller than I expected).

790 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

791 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

Hooray for complimentary heavy coats!

795 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

When it was time to sail, we sat down and listened to the fishermen. They talked about their lives as crab fisherman and told lots of interesting stories. They were funny and informative. When we got a good distance away from Ketchikan, they pulled in some lines they had left out on the tour before ours. They had quite a catch!

800 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

804 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

Check out the eyes. They said the change in air pressure makes them pop out like that.

802 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

815 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

824 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

Next, they showed us how they put the hooks on the line (lots and lots of hooks) and bait the hooks with chopped fish pieces. Then, they threw the new line out.

797 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

803 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

Coming Up...Fishing for Fun in Ketchikan, Part Two (which will include crabs, sea creatures, and LOTS of eagles)!
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #138
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

That's it! I need to take this trip! Waiting for 2015 rates and dates to be released.

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #139
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Lovely photo of your DD and Donald.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #140
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
That's it! I need to take this trip! Waiting for 2015 rates and dates to be released.
You won't regret it. I'm thinking we won't be able to top this trip for a while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Lovely photo of your DD and Donald.
Thank you!
Old 08-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #141
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Fishing for Fun in Ketchikan, Part Two

After the hook/line fishing demonstration, we went to another area (off the coast of Annette Island), and the crew members threw fish pieces out into the water. It didn't take long for the eagles to show up! They were everywhere. They flew right over our heads (thankful we didn't get pooped on) and around the boat. Unlike the whale adventure, I didn't have my photo on landscape mode, so I was able to get shots that weren't blurry. But, it was hard to keep up with them because they were so fast!

835 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

843 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

847 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

850 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

905 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

906 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

910 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

919 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

929 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

930 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

931 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

The eagle viewing put smiles on our faces for sure!

934 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

(Cont'd in next post so I don't exceed my photo limit.)
Old 08-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #142
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Fishing for Fun in Ketchikan, Part Three

After the amazing eagles, it was time for crab fishing! We went to an area where they already had the traps/cages in the water, and they hauled one in using their equipment. One thing I learned from this excursion--fishing is very difficult work! They brought the creatures around for us to touch and hold. You will notice that DS isn't in many of these pictures. Touching animals (other than our small dog) isn't really his thing, but DD loved it!

943 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

945 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

957 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

955 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

967 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

969 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

979 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

993 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

1007 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

1010 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

1013 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

After all this fun, it was time to head back to Ketchikan. On the return trip, the fishermen told more stories. I enjoyed every one, but someone was a little too tired to stay awake during the tales of adventure.

1018 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

As we neared the port, we passed the Saxman Village.

1019 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

We also got a picture with some of the crew of the Aleutian Ballad.

1021 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

And here's our lovely lady waiting for us...

1027 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

The Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour was lots of fun and educational, too! I was very pleased with all of our excursions. I thought we had a variety of experiences that really gave us a taste of Alaska. I would recommend them all!

Coming Up...A Rainy Return!
Old 08-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #143
TheHippie524
I love the Magic & Wonder of Dreaming up another Fantasy.

Your little girl looks TOO excited to hold those creatures! It's soo cute. She's a thousand times braver than I would be.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #144
WDWaddictt
DIS Veteran

Wow! Awesome! Loved your pictures! So beautiful! Don't think I would touch those creatures either...scarrry!
WDWaddictt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #145
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHippie524 View Post
Your little girl looks TOO excited to hold those creatures! It's soo cute. She's a thousand times braver than I would be.
Thanks. I do love her expressions in these pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWaddictt View Post
Wow! Awesome! Loved your pictures! So beautiful! Don't think I would touch those creatures either...scarrry!
Thank you. She can be very brave when it comes to touching creatures and going down Summit Plummet, but doesn't like to sleep alone. Go figure!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:19 AM   #146
erk711
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMomTo2 View Post
After the hook/line fishing demonstration, we went to another area (off the coast of Annette Island), and the crew members threw fish pieces out into the water. It didn't take long for the eagles to show up! They were everywhere. They flew right over our heads (thankful we didn't get pooped on) and around the boat. Unlike the whale adventure, I didn't have my photo on landscape mode, so I was able to get shots that weren't blurry. But, it was hard to keep up with them because they were so fast!

847 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

The eagle viewing put smiles on our faces for sure!
These are fabulous photos. I especially like this action shot
Celebrated 25th Anniversary sailing on the Pacific Pixar Wonder Cruise Sept 30/12
Celebrated DS 19th Birthday sailing to Alaska on the Wonder August 19/13
Celebrating DD 19th Birthday sailing on the Dream to Nassau May 4/15
erk711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #147
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by erk711 View Post
These are fabulous photos. I especially like this action shot
Thank you!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #148
lucy0558
Mouseketeer

Fantastic photos...I think your eagle shots may have sold me on the camera!

Last edited by lucy0558; 09-01-2013 at 07:14 AM.
lucy0558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #149
ctalley
Mouseketeer

I am enjoying your trip report. The last minute guarantee rates intrigue me. I am an over planner as well so I have loved hearing your thoughts. I also have enjoyed reading about the excursions you booked on your own. An Alaskan cruise is on my travel wish list. I look forward to reading more.
Thank you!
ctalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #150
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy0558 View Post
Fantastic photos...I think your eagle shots may have sold me on the camera!
Thank you! I do love my DSLR! The best part is the continuous shooting. You can hold the button down and the shutter fires rapidly. I take a lot of bad shots, but with a quick shutter, you can get lots of good shots, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctalley View Post
I am enjoying your trip report. The last minute guarantee rates intrigue me. I am an over planner as well so I have loved hearing your thoughts. I also have enjoyed reading about the excursions you booked on your own. An Alaskan cruise is on my travel wish list. I look forward to reading more.
Thank you!
Thanks for reading! Last minute is definitely not something we usually do, but I am so glad we jumped on it for this trip! I hope you are able to go one day!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: