Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #271
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

We all seem to be having trouble with August!!!!

Having said that, I went to weigh-in tonight as I missed class on Monday, and I am another 1.5lb down, bringing my total lost this year to 64lb......and for those of you who understand the UK weighing system (Think that's only Floss!!!) I won my 4.5 stones award!!!
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #272
DisFam95
DIS Veteran

Zim that's great you're masking the costumes. I bought a seeing machine last Christmas on sale and haven't used it yet. I need to bust it out. My son wants "steam punk" costumes! I understand w the whacky sizes. I'm a 14 and recall having to get a 20-22 ish.

-----

Wow it is slow around here. In the past I've come back the next day and there pages of posts to soft through. There's been 3 posts since yesterday! Guess most people are getting back in the swing of things esp as parents w back to school.

So far so good on my first day back focusing on diet. I did just eat 2 twizzlers and I tiny piece of dark chocolate while I'm cooking dinner

Oh we'll as far as candy goes its probably not too bad.

I WILL get my workout in tonight! I'm making me a priority again!!
Sum/74; Sum/78; Sum/82; Sum/87 Polynesian; Sum/93 Caribbean Beach; 8/95 Port Orleans - Honeymoon; 5/97; 8/99 Caribbean Beach; 9/01 Wilderness Lodge - became a DVC member!!!; 12/02; 1/04; 2/05; 2/06; 10/06; 5/08 Villas at Wilderness Lodge; 6/11 Wildreness Lodge
Me DH DS12 DS8
DisFam95 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #273
Zim
Meow meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisFam95 View Post
Zim that's great you're masking the costumes. I bought a seeing machine last Christmas on sale and haven't used it yet. I need to bust it out. My son wants "steam punk" costumes! I understand w the whacky sizes. I'm a 14 and recall having to get a 20-22 ish.!!
Oh i love steampunk! In fact I'm incorporating a little into my costume. This is the jacket and the little octopus is going on the back just above the godet where there would've been two buttons. The jacket looks much better and more fitted on a person but that's the gist. Anyone know where you can get a cheap poet type shirt? Preferably cheap and thin as this is actually upholstery pleather and is going to be stifling!

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #274
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
I tell you what, I'm not an expert seamstress, and generally patterns read like hieroglyphs and I need to reread each step a million times before it makes sense (and I NEVER baste because they're costumes for crying out loud!) Anyway, what is UP with pattern sizing? If I made a size 16 pirate coat, it wouldn't fit me. Apparently they adhere to some ancient system of sizing where I actually fit a true size 20?!?!? Well, it's correct, I made the jacket at size twenty, and it fits. Maybe a little loose, as I have lost 15 pounds since I bought the plans... But I'm fitting into size 12 jeans now at Walmart so it's a little frustrating to say I'm a pattern size 20!

Sadly this is the problem with vanity sizing.
Clothing manufacturers decided it was a brilliant idea to change people sizes so people would buy more, because who doesn't love a smaller number. Pattern manufacturers opted to not follow suit and stuck with the original measurements.

My mom is a seamstress and makes clothes for me on occasion and it's such a pita trying to figure out sizing now. We end up remeasuring like 8000 times before we go fabric shopping.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #275
DisFam95
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh i love steampunk! In fact I'm incorporating a little into my costume. This is the jacket and the little octopus is going on the back just above the godet where there would've been two buttons. The jacket looks much better and more fitted on a person but that's the gist. Anyone know where you can get a cheap poet type shirt? Preferably cheap and thin as this is actually upholstery pleather and is going to be stifling!

Whoa that's amazing!! Love the detail around the button holes. I'm clueless I what to make for him. I've looked around at some vintage shops but can't find anything decent, or that fits or not expensive. How long did that take to make?
Sum/74; Sum/78; Sum/82; Sum/87 Polynesian; Sum/93 Caribbean Beach; 8/95 Port Orleans - Honeymoon; 5/97; 8/99 Caribbean Beach; 9/01 Wilderness Lodge - became a DVC member!!!; 12/02; 1/04; 2/05; 2/06; 10/06; 5/08 Villas at Wilderness Lodge; 6/11 Wildreness Lodge
Me DH DS12 DS8
DisFam95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:43 AM   #276
MrsJessica
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza32 View Post
I won my 4.5 stones award!!!
I know stones Sometimes when I want to feel better, I think "meh, I'm only 2 stone too much..." But I can never seem to keep the conversion from coming into my head 4.5 is GREAT!!

Quote:

Preferably cheap and thin as this is actually upholstery pleather and is going to be stifling!
The fabric is beautiful! My favorite leather notebook has a similar pattern and I've always thought it was so handsome.
MrsJessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #277
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Good morning friends! DS is off for the first day of 10th grade today and I am home alone! I have the whole day to myself to do whatever I want! I'm almost paralyzed with the possibilities!! I will probably end up doing some cleaning, some laundry, some exercise, and then reward myself with some scrapping time and maybe even a little reading time!

I hope you are all doing well. I know that August is a WASH for me as far as participating here, but I promise to step it up in September. I've missed chatting with you all daily and hearing about your victories and about your struggles. I miss hearing from the newbies! This is truly the most un-involved I've been with a WISH challenge in all of the years I've been active and I really miss it. But real life had to be attended to, of course.

DD is doing GREAT at school! She had her first day of classes yesterday and is partially and I think partially . Especially when her calculus professor told them to expect to study at least 8 hours a week outside of class! This is on top of a 50 minute class 3 x week plus a 2 hour lab once a week! Um, hello?? She isn't a math major and she has other classes to study for as well! I guess I am forgetting how much studying there was in college (or perhaps I just never did that much studying ). But I'm sure she will do great. Her work study is going well so far (she was offered a "premium" work study job as a writing tutor that pays over minimum wage!!) and she has figured out already that she only needs to work 4 hrs a week to fulfill her max work study time, so that shouldn't be too hard.

She has also managed to get to the pool every day it has been open so far, plus got in some walking and running when she can't swim. I think she is off to a great start taking care of herself (which is what I worried about most). I can't believe she has been gone for a week already!

Okay.... enough rambling here about me and my kids. Time to enjoy my day to myself. I will do a short bit of circuit training for exercise, then do a thorough scrubbing of my bathroom, make beds, and then it will be "me" time! Scrapping table, I know you've missed me, but here I come!!................P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #278
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohMom View Post
LISA -- have fun at Disneyland!!!

tried to upload some photos from our cruise but only got one successfully.

DD - Paige; DD - Taylor; me; DH - Preston
Had to take a moment to comment on this NICE family picture! You and your daughters are just gorgeous... and I love the dresses! WTG on a great thrift store find!................P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #279
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
Good morning friends! DS is off for the first day of 10th grade today and I am home alone! I have the whole day to myself to do whatever I want! I'm almost paralyzed with the possibilities!! I will probably end up doing some cleaning, some laundry, some exercise, and then reward myself with some scrapping time and maybe even a little reading time!

I hope you are all doing well. I know that August is a WASH for me as far as participating here, but I promise to step it up in September. I've missed chatting with you all daily and hearing about your victories and about your struggles. I miss hearing from the newbies! This is truly the most un-involved I've been with a WISH challenge in all of the years I've been active and I really miss it. But real life had to be attended to, of course.

DD is doing GREAT at school! She had her first day of classes yesterday and is partially and I think partially . Especially when her calculus professor told them to expect to study at least 8 hours a week outside of class! This is on top of a 50 minute class 3 x week plus a 2 hour lab once a week! Um, hello?? She isn't a math major and she has other classes to study for as well! I guess I am forgetting how much studying there was in college (or perhaps I just never did that much studying ). But I'm sure she will do great. Her work study is going well so far (she was offered a "premium" work study job as a writing tutor that pays over minimum wage!!) and she has figured out already that she only needs to work 4 hrs a week to fulfill her max work study time, so that shouldn't be too hard.

She has also managed to get to the pool every day it has been open so far, plus got in some walking and running when she can't swim. I think she is off to a great start taking care of herself (which is what I worried about most). I can't believe she has been gone for a week already!

Okay.... enough rambling here about me and my kids. Time to enjoy my day to myself. I will do a short bit of circuit training for exercise, then do a thorough scrubbing of my bathroom, make beds, and then it will be "me" time! Scrapping table, I know you've missed me, but here I come!!................P
Scrapping?? Oh yeah, that room full of stuff that's been collecting dust for WAY too long now! How I envy you the ability to stay home, even if it is spent working your butt off every day. I know the Wonder Mutt would love the company!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
Had to take a moment to comment on this NICE family picture! You and your daughters are just gorgeous... and I love the dresses! WTG on a great thrift store find!................P
Beautiful family!
************************************************** *******************************************

Like Pam, I've been super absent and haven't checked in nearly as much as I should have. It has shown up on the scale too! BUT, we are full BL swing here at work and I plan on winning this baby this time around. No second place for me! As racing season is ramping up, that should definitely help too. I'll be jumping back on the bandwagon for September which somehow is only 2 days away??!!?? Where the heck did the summer go?????

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #280
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
Scrapping?? Oh yeah, that room full of stuff that's been collecting dust for WAY too long now! How I envy you the ability to stay home, even if it is spent working your butt off every day. I know the Wonder Mutt would love the company!

I do realize how VERY lucky I am. I have only worked part-time per diem since the kids were born..... various at-home jobs when they were little and then in the school system once they were both in school all day. And then this summer I added my job with WW into the mix. But even with all of that, it still leaves me with some days at home (although it will be fewer and fewer as the school year ramps up). It has allowed me some wonderful advantages like a VERY flexible schedule. I have never missed a child's activity/event/game/meet unless it conflicted with the other child's schedule and I've been home with them for every school vacation. I can say "no" to my school job if I am too busy, not feeling well, or whatever. I don't love the job, but I love the flexibility, so I will be keeping the job for now.

That being said, we gave up lots of luxuries so that I could be home more. And I've always tried to make it "pay" being at home by making sure we didn't have to resort to convenience foods and/or fast foods, shopping sales, growing my own veggies, cutting coupons, hitting the thrift store.... lots of things I probably wouldn't have time to do if I was working full-time.

Like Pam, I've been super absent and haven't checked in nearly as much as I should have. It has shown up on the scale too! BUT, we are full BL swing here at work and I plan on winning this baby this time around. No second place for me! As racing season is ramping up, that should definitely help too. I'll be jumping back on the bandwagon for September which somehow is only 2 days away??!!?? Where the heck did the summer go?????
Looks like we are ready to hit it hard for September. The scale is hovering just ounces above my WW maintenance range and if I want to keep my job I need to get much more firmly into the middle of the range!

Morning all! Well.... I made it here two days in a row!!

Hope the scale was kind to everyone this week.... I hope you got what you deserved!! I was down just about a pound, so that was great. Another few ounces and I can stop worrying about getting fired!

Never made it to my scrapping table yesterday. I got too caught up on researching money-saving ideas and then got into some long-overdue deep cleaning projects. But today.... I am going to clear my scrapping table of EVERYTHING (like all of the junk DS has plopped on it and all of my spring projects that haven't been touched in months), give it a good wipe, put everything where it belongs and GET TO WORK! I may also search the web for some photo printing sales and order some prints for another project.

But first.... I will make DS's bed and get the clean sheets and comforter back on DD's bed. My bed is already made and I've already been to the transfer station.

Been trying different oatmeals lately to see if in fact I really DO like steel cut oats best and have discovered that YES I DO! I made quick cooking oats a few days ago.... ick. Made the longer cooking old-fashioned oats today. Not too bad and will be okay in a pinch.... but I know that I love steel cut oats cooked in the crockpot overnight the best! Since I am the only one who eats those here now, I will probably make them once a week and then split it into four servings and throw the extras in the fridge. It is pretty good warmed up with a bit of almond milk. And it is certainly a grocery bargain, even if I buy organic steel cut.

If anyone is interested, I'm thinking of reviving the recipe thread and the meal planning thread. This seems to be the time of year that folks start to think more about those types of things.

Here is the link to the recipe thread.....

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2447512

And here is the link to the meal-planning thread.....

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2676892

Off to make a cup of tea and get moving!..............P

Old 08-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #281
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza32 View Post
We all seem to be having trouble with August!!!!

Having said that, I went to weigh-in tonight as I missed class on Monday, and I am another 1.5lb down, bringing my total lost this year to 64lb......and for those of you who understand the UK weighing system (Think that's only Floss!!!) I won my 4.5 stones award!!!
Somehow I didn't see this yesterday.....

WOOOOOHOOOO!! That is AMAZING!!! We are so proud of you!! Keep going!!! Don't you feel GREAT??!! BRAVO!! ...........P

Old 08-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #282
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Hellen, I am so impressed!! 4 and a half stone is amazing!!

Pam, I am going to check out the meal planning thread, it sounds interesting. I know I NEED to plan more. But since it is only me I am planning for, it is far too easy to just decided spontaneously...

I had a bad August - and I was so motivated at the beginning. I don't really know what to blame for it... I know what I am doing wrong, but can't make myself making the right choices. I also am slacking in my training for my 10 K at the beginning of October...

It is all a mental thing - and I don't know how to change it.

One step I have decided on is that I need to try to bring lunches to work instead of going out to lunch with colleagues. As much as I enjoy the company, this is one of my downfalls. I am also afraid that it is so much more difficult to count the points if I can't weigh my food before I eat it.

Unfortunately I figured out that the only way to lose weight is to stick to my 26 points per day, not eat any activity points and not eat my weekly extras. And I find it very difficult to not struggle with that little food. And while I eat a lot of vegetables and some fruit. I don't feel full from them mentally, only physically.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #283
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

For any of you who might like to try and mix it up a bit, the weight loss club that I go to does an online 7 day menu that you might be able to adapt to US food.......

http://www.slimmingworld.com/healthy...rian-menu.aspx

There's a vegetarian option too on the same page. You don't need to be a member to see it. Might be something in there a little different for you.....where they refer to FryLight your equivalent is PAM spray or similar.

Might be some ideas for you Floss, being of European origin!!!!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #284
pjlla
<><

(In an effort to get some chatter going here again, I will start by rambling about my day! )

So what's for lunch today you ask??? Well it is a "made up" concoction with the sole purpose of cleaning stuff out of the fridge! Haven't tasted it yet, but I'll let you know how it comes out.

I am sauteeing up a bag of broccoli slaw with a red bell pepper and a green pepper (all of which needed to be used asap). I am combining that with 1/2 C of black beans (cooked up a batch but I had more beans than I had freezer containers), half a can of bean sprouts (leftover from beef and broccoli stir-fry on Monday) and topping it with some asian seafood sauce that has been languishing on the condiment shelf. It might be delightful, it might be dreadful! I know that the veggies and beans would be fine, but I'm not sure how the sauce will be with it all.

What did you have for lunch???? ........................P

Old 08-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #285
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

I had a tin of vegetarian ravioli......it was quite nice actually, I was surprised!!! Only had 15 minutes at lunchtime today to grab something.

For dinner we had mexican chicken with rice, followed by fat free greek yoghurt with strawberries...yum.

It's 7:15pm here now, so just going to sort out my running gear for my 5K in the morning. Haven't done any running at all for 2 weeks, so certainly not expecting a personal best tomorrow!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: