Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
mdutch39
Earning My Ears
 
mdutch39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 30

Buying Magic Bands if not staying on property

I know I have seen on here that if you are not staying on property or are not a APH then you will be able to buy magic bands. So I called Disney and asked if, when the magic bands are officially rolled out, I would be able to purchase the bands.

They said no.

It will be made available to the on property guests (we know), APH (we know), and eventually Florida residents (this was news to me). So I'm kind of bummed because I was really excited for these beauties. Guess I'm not special enough.
mdutch39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran
 
wilkeliza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,425

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdutch39 View Post
I know I have seen on here that if you are not staying on property or are not a APH then you will be able to buy magic bands. So I called Disney and asked if, when the magic bands are officially rolled out, I would be able to purchase the bands.

They said no.

It will be made available to the on property guests (we know), APH (we know), and eventually Florida residents (this was news to me). So I'm kind of bummed because I was really excited for these beauties. Guess I'm not special enough.
I'm their mind the card and fast pass+ is all they need to offer to be considered equal. It is interesting that MB will be resort, residents, and AP only. It makes a draw to be one of the to things you can easily be.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran
 
Disney_Princess83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,447

Whoever you spoke to was wrong. It has been known for quite sometime that anyone with a Disney World Ticket will be able to get a Magic Band. It is tied to your park tickets, not where you are staying. Currently it's still testing and rumours are going around that AP Holders may start to get them during October

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdutch39 View Post
I know I have seen on here that if you are not staying on property or are not a APH then you will be able to buy magic bands. So I called Disney and asked if, when the magic bands are officially rolled out, I would be able to purchase the bands.

They said no.

It will be made available to the on property guests (we know), APH (we know), and eventually Florida residents (this was news to me). So I'm kind of bummed because I was really excited for these beauties. Guess I'm not special enough.
__________________

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
AndreaA
Mouseketeer
 
AndreaA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Whoever you spoke to was wrong. It has been known for quite sometime that anyone with a Disney World Ticket will be able to get a Magic Band. It is tied to your park tickets, not where you are staying. Currently it's still testing and rumours are going around that AP Holders may start to get them during October
Actually, that's not true. Currently there are no plans to let non-resort guests have MagicBands:

http://www.doctordisney.com/2013/08/...tpass-mymagic/

The pertinent passage:

Quote:
1.) Currently, MyMagic+, MagicBands, and FASTPass+ are only available to guests staying at a Walt Disney World Resort. Annual Passholders will be getting the MagicBands soon.
There are no plans at this time for everyday guests / those not staying at a WDW Resort to get MagicBands and use FASTPass+. This could change in the future, but these guests will receive plastic cards/tickets.
I've seen a few other sources that say the same thing, including quoting Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs
__________________
Mama to twin 4yr-old boys!

Wilderness Lodge - Oct.2012
Villas @ WL - Sept.2013


AndreaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran
 
Disney_Princess83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,447

I'm confused what part isn't true. AP Holders don't have to be resort guests to get Magic Bands once it goes live. Currently it's still in testing and previous official Disney comments have said everyone will be getting Magic Bands and they'll be available for purchase too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaA View Post
Actually, that's not true. Currently there are no plans to let non-resort guests have MagicBands:

http://www.doctordisney.com/2013/08/...tpass-mymagic/

The pertinent passage:



I've seen a few other sources that say the same thing, including quoting Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs
__________________

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
AndreaA
Mouseketeer
 
AndreaA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
I'm confused what part isn't true. AP Holders don't have to be resort guests to get Magic Bands once it goes live. Currently it's still in testing and previous official Disney comments have said everyone will be getting Magic Bands and they'll be available for purchase too.
You said that everyone will eventually be able to get a MagicBand and according to various quotes and sources, that is not true. There are NO plans to sell or give the bands to people who are not AP holders or resort guests.
__________________
Mama to twin 4yr-old boys!

Wilderness Lodge - Oct.2012
Villas @ WL - Sept.2013


AndreaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
RooRach0906
"Oh Goody, Horray!"
 
RooRach0906's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Richmond,VA
Posts: 2,144

Isnt part of the point of the Magic Bands is to have another reason/difference to get people to want to stay onsite??? That is what I got from everything I heard , read, and seen. I always saw that it would be available to resort guest. (I can see why they would include APH tho)
__________________
Me (30) DH(28) & DD(4)
SSR ~ Sept06 Disneymoon, CR ~ Sept09 Anniv Trip, OKW ~ Sept11 DD 1st trip w/the TagAlongs, SSR&BWV ~ Dec12, BWV ~ May13 's 3rd BDay Trip, BCV & SSR ~ Sept13




On our weigh and bringing Tagalongs ~ Sept 2014 PTR ~
RooRach0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
AndreaA
Mouseketeer
 
AndreaA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 473

After doing some real searching, I was able to find one quote from Tom Staggs about regular day visitors being able to buy MagicBands:

Quote:
Guests staying at Walt Disney World Resort hotels, and Annual Passholders will receive a band, as well as those guests who purchase a photography package. Guests who stay at non-Disney hotels will receive a ticket with features of touch to enter the park, touch to redeem FastPass+ and touch to pay. These guests can participate in My Disney Experience and purchase a MagicBand if they wish.
However, that quote was way back in early January and I have not found anything more recent except things that support my belief that they are not planning to give or sell MagicBands to people who are not AP holders or resort guests, unless they buy Photopass. It's possible that they've either backtracked on that plan or are not planning to roll it out for quite a long time.
__________________
Mama to twin 4yr-old boys!

Wilderness Lodge - Oct.2012
Villas @ WL - Sept.2013


AndreaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:40 AM   #9
hannah'sdaddy
Earning My Ears
 
hannah'sdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: belmont,nc
Posts: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaA View Post
After doing some real searching, I was able to find one quote from Tom Staggs about regular day visitors being able to buy MagicBands:



However, that quote was way back in early January and I have not found anything more recent except things that support my belief that they are not planning to give or sell MagicBands to people who are not AP holders or resort guests, unless they buy Photopass. It's possible that they've either backtracked on that plan or are not planning to roll it out for quite a long time.
I hope it will be opened up to a wider audience, because I usually stay on property but it is at Shades of Green. I am planning a trip in December and would be great to have the magicbands. I guess I'll keep watching the boards for the latest news and rumors until I leave on my trip.
hannah'sdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
astephen2
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11

I personally don't think that they will be opened up, as very few of the features are currently available to non-resort guests. The only exception is FastPass - the other features are only currently available to resort guests.
astephen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran
 
ArwenMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,047

I don't know about the bands vs. the cards etc...

Regardless, the more I read and think about this, I think that prebooking Fastpasses will not be available to anyone not staying at a Disney resort. Including annual pass holders (unless they are staying at a resort, which many do throughout the year).

The two conditions of the extensive testing that we have seen so far are...1) valid park admission 2) staying at a Disney resort. There has been zero testing for anyone else. I think there is a reason for that...They don't plan on offering it to anyone who doesn't meet those two conditions.

I do think that same-day Fastpasses might be available once you enter the park with your admission media, whatever it is, via the kiosks or the app. So technically, a non-Disney-resort guest will still be able to get FPs. But what will be left at that point especially at certain times of the year?....there's the real question. I also don't think they are going to hold any back for same-day/offsite guests.

No other scenario makes sense in my mind. The new perk for staying onsite, and it's a HUGE one, becomes the prebooking of FPs.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #12
EagleScout
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 476

This perk will also then continue to overshadow the curtailing of emh that already occurred, and potentially pave the way for even further reductions
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran
 
Disney_Princess83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,447

Disney has confirmed FP+ will be available for AP Holders and there are rumours that in October, they will be doing an AP test (where they don't need to be staying on property)

The testing has only been for people staying at a WDW resort, probably more for is there are any issues. The Swan and Dolphin and the DTD Hilton have already confirmed Magic Bands will be available to their guests, although they do already offer their guests the onsite perks (EMH, Merchandise delivery ect)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
I don't know about the bands vs. the cards etc...

Regardless, the more I read and think about this, I think that prebooking Fastpasses will not be available to anyone not staying at a Disney resort. Including annual pass holders (unless they are staying at a resort, which many do throughout the year).

The two conditions of the extensive testing that we have seen so far are...1) valid park admission 2) staying at a Disney resort. There has been zero testing for anyone else. I think there is a reason for that...They don't plan on offering it to anyone who doesn't meet those two conditions.

I do think that same-day Fastpasses might be available once you enter the park with your admission media, whatever it is, via the kiosks or the app. So technically, a non-Disney-resort guest will still be able to get FPs. But what will be left at that point especially at certain times of the year?....there's the real question. I also don't think they are going to hold any back for same-day/offsite guests.

No other scenario makes sense in my mind. The new perk for staying onsite, and it's a HUGE one, becomes the prebooking of FPs.
__________________

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran
 
ArwenMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Disney has confirmed FP+ will be available for AP Holders and there are rumours that in October, they will be doing an AP test (where they don't need to be staying on property)

The testing has only been for people staying at a WDW resort, probably more for is there are any issues. The Swan and Dolphin and the DTD Hilton have already confirmed Magic Bands will be available to their guests, although they do already offer their guests the onsite perks (EMH, Merchandise delivery ect)
I guess even if it is true that AP-holders/offsiters-with-tickets can prebook at 60 days (and I hope it is!!!), the crux could end up being that onsite guests can prebook X number of days ahead plus their length of stay, which would still be a major perk and advantage, especially during the very busy weeks.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
SuperDan523
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 149

FWIW, I'm an AP holder and MDE was allowing me to select FP+ for days that were long before my upcoming check-in at Pop. Looks like they're allowing AP holders at least, if not ticket holders in general, to book a certain number of days of FP+ reservations without a resort stay.
SuperDan523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.