Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you enjoy/look forward to most about a repositioning cruise?
Different Ports of Call/Itinerary 42 38.89%
Variety of entertainment 13 12.04%
More opportunities to dine at Palo 7 6.48%
More Sea Days 78 72.22%
New and different dinner menus 18 16.67%
More interaction with cast and characters 17 15.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #376
speedo
Mouseketeer

Oh one more thought to give DLR the benefit of the doubt - we were there for the last week before the black out dates began for the cheapest local pass (something like $15 per month). So a lot of people may have been taking advantage of their last use for their local passes before the start of summer. Which might account for heavier crowds than normal.

As far as the understaffed feel it may have also been because of our timing. We were there Monday-Wednesday and that Friday they were having 24-hours of Disney with the park open all night. Perhaps they gave employees time off the week before because they needed a lot for the 24 hours event.

Last edited by speedo; 08-28-2013 at 11:59 AM.
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #377
speedo
Mouseketeer

Bugs Life Land

I don't think this is an official land but once again this area of California Adventure had very effective theming - the rides were geared for little ones but nonetheless adults can appreciate the feel of being a bug

loved this popsicle bench...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #378
speedo
Mouseketeer

More California Adventure

We headed to Tower of Terror but because of the long lines we opted for fastpasses.

this was a cool effect on the sign

while waiting to use our fastpass we wandered around the park and caught this show - There was a lot of entertainment around the park.

we headed to the Pacific Warf area of California adventure

Surprisingly there were never long lines at Toy Story Mania, which is one of my favorites so that was great for us!

not bad...

We also went on California Screaming using a fastpass that I think we grabbed earlier but not sure. This is a really great roller coaster

on our way back to tower of terror - we grabbed this photo promoting Monster University (waiting on this to come out on Netflix)

time to use our fastpasses

As we approached the elevator we figured out why the lines were so long for this - they only had 1 of the 3 or 4 (not sure how many exactly) elevators operating. They weren't down because of maintenance - they just did not have enough cast members working that day.

Last edited by speedo; 08-28-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #379
speedo
Mouseketeer

Back to Carsland

It may seem like we are going back and forth a lot because well we were but this is a much smaller park than Disney World so I didn't feel like I was doing as much walking as the pictures make it seem.

My parents joined up with us in the early afternoon after Dad played a round of golf that morning. The golf was arranged through Disneyland Hotel but the cab driver got lost on the way to the course. The printed directions from the hotel were confusing because they did not say what town the golf course was in an my Dad had assumed it would be closer.

At any rate we wanted our dad to go on the race cars in carsland. The line was still 2 hours long but they have a single rider line which was much shorter only 30 minutes. This was even shorter than the fastpass line. but my dad said that people noticed this and hopped over from fastpass to single rider so eventually the line evened out behind him.

While we were waiting we decided to have a snack served in cones...

there were pretzel bites in here but photographer wasn't fast enough

Last edited by speedo; 08-28-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #380
speedo
Mouseketeer

Lunch at Carthay Circle Restaurant

Definitely a highlight of our trip was lunch at Carthay Circle Restaurant

the image of the evil queen can be found in the wood on the tables:

according to our server, who was really great, this is the only hidden mickey in the ceiling

When eating here they give you a fastpass for World of Color (one for each person in your party of course).

Old 08-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #381
speedo
Mouseketeer

Back to Disneyland

so long Skinny Minnie we are headed back to Disneyland to try to ride Roger Rabbit

We discovered by accident that you can go into the castle at Disneyland where there are displays showing the story of snow white.

Not only was it open but it did not have a long line!

We went on It's a Small World but don't have a picture. This was another attractions that was understaffed. Only one of the two lines was open so the line was longer than it needed to be.

We also went on the jungle cruise

Old 08-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #382
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great pics!
Old 08-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #383
speedo
Mouseketeer

World of Color

We head back to California Adventure for World of Color

Before this trip there happened to be a week of shows about the Disney parks and DCL on Destination America. I dutifully watched these shows. I saw that for the World of Color show people buy light up ears - show with the glow ears. This was really a fun and cool effect. My dad happened to be watching also at my parents home and called me all excited about this. So we planned to buy the ears. These are $25 a piece so we bought two - one for my dad and one for me.

We also walked through Cars Land at night (wearing our ears of course )

We got to the Carthay Circle reserved standing area for World of Color. The section was empty and there were two benches so my mom sat down only to be quickly told by a cast member that the bench was only for people who needed to sit. Now my mother was definitely one of the only gray hairs at the park (as noted before the park was mostly teens and young adults). So she asked if she could stay until someone who needs it more comes along. Eventually the cast member conceded and gave my mom a pass so she could stay seated. We stood to the side in the section.

Wait a minute where is the sea of glow with the show ears?

Oh there they are - apparently we were the only two fools to spend $50 on these hats...

I think for the filming for Destination America they must have given the hats to people because there were only a small handful of people with these hats. Also, with no seating it can be very tiring to stand through this show. Plus you get wet - even the Carthay section which was at the back got wet. Personally I like fireworks better, I wasn't so impressed with the blurry projections on water.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #384
speedo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Great pics!

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #385
speedo
Mouseketeer

Trader Sam's

We came back a second night - this is a really fun bar.

This totem pole looked at us and said, "Yep, those are the suckers who spent $50 on Glow with the Show ears"

These fried green beans were really good...

Last edited by speedo; 08-28-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #386
speedo
Mouseketeer

Day 3 at DLR

This morning's early magic hour was in California Adventure. We decided to cut the corner through the Grand Californian Hotel (which reminded me a bit of Wilderness Lodge at WDW). Anyone staying on property can use the entrance through the Grand Californian.

The line to get in was really long

The line for the fastpasses for cars land racers was once again quite long

There are no return times on the board because the ride was not open during the extra magic hour so the fastpass was also down but people were still waiting. You would think they would have their most poplar ride open during the early magic hour but unfortunately not.

With the racer being closed we went on this instead...

This was really fun, and as I learned on Destination American this is based on an early ride that was UFOs instead of giant tires

then we headed back to the wharf where the only ride operating was the toy story ride, we didn't do as well today...

At exactly park opening the rest of the rides began to open but some like the swings didn't open until 30 minutes after park opening.

So in the one hour we went on 2 rides, at WDW I am used to going on at least 4 in the first early hour.

We headed to the ferris wheel from Toy Story which opened at park opening...

There are two different lines - one for the rocking cars and one for the cars that don't rock. we went on the rocking cars which is fun and luckily we did not need the sick bags they provide...

These swings were great fun...
Old 08-29-2013, 05:02 AM   #387
annichan
There's a platypus controlling me, he's underneath the table

You caught us again :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo View Post

The line to get in was really long

Hi again,

I am still following your trip report eagerly and having lots of fun reading - not least because you caught us again!
Just like you, we spent the Monday to Wednesday after the cruise in DL (although we stayed at the Grand Californian instead). I am pretty sure I see myself in the back of that picture, and I also think I spotted my husband in the next one, in the Radiator Springs Racers line )

We also found that those three days in the parks felt rather crowded compared to what we were expecting (and what we know from off-season WDW touring), but we did not encounter any rude CMs, luckily. Regarding the crowds of teens, I know that there were Grad Nights on most of these days, wehere the parks stayed open really late for high-school graduate parties. I'm not totally sure what age American kids are when they graduate from high-school, but I though that many of these were really there for the at-night party, and only warming up by loudly talking their way through Haunted Mansion and such

DH and I were incredibly lucky regarding Radiator Springs Racers: I spent about 15-20 minutes in the line to get the Fastpasses in the morning, and then once we came back for our ride, we were in line for about 5 minutes until we were redirected to another line because they apparently needed another two people to fill up a wheelchair-accessible car - so we hopped straight on. We were joking all the rest of the day that RSR definitely had the shortest wait time of all the rides

2005: It all started with DLP Disneyland Paris (3 nights) / 2009: Honeymoon at Wilderness Lodge (15 nights)
2010: Magic Western Caribbean, then BCV (11 nights) / 2011: Magic Mediterranean Cruise (Magic, 11 nights)
2011: Our return to Disneyland Resort Paris (4 nights) / August 2012: NYC to Castaway Cay and Canada (B2B, Magic, 13 nights)
2013: Westbound Panama Canal Cruise (Wonder, 14 nights) + 3 days at Disneyland / 2014: Westbound Transatlantic and Southern Caribbean (B2B, Magic, 21 nights)

annichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #388
speedo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by annichan View Post
Hi again,

I am still following your trip report eagerly and having lots of fun reading - not least because you caught us again!
Just like you, we spent the Monday to Wednesday after the cruise in DL (although we stayed at the Grand Californian instead). I am pretty sure I see myself in the back of that picture, and I also think I spotted my husband in the next one, in the Radiator Springs Racers line )

We also found that those three days in the parks felt rather crowded compared to what we were expecting (and what we know from off-season WDW touring), but we did not encounter any rude CMs, luckily. Regarding the crowds of teens, I know that there were Grad Nights on most of these days, wehere the parks stayed open really late for high-school graduate parties. I'm not totally sure what age American kids are when they graduate from high-school, but I though that many of these were really there for the at-night party, and only warming up by loudly talking their way through Haunted Mansion and such

DH and I were incredibly lucky regarding Radiator Springs Racers: I spent about 15-20 minutes in the line to get the Fastpasses in the morning, and then once we came back for our ride, we were in line for about 5 minutes until we were redirected to another line because they apparently needed another two people to fill up a wheelchair-accessible car - so we hopped straight on. We were joking all the rest of the day that RSR definitely had the shortest wait time of all the rides
I didn't know about the grad nights that does explain a lot - including why there were no fireworks in the evenings. Too funny that we keep catching you in our photos!
Old 08-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #389
speedo
Mouseketeer

Back to Disneyland

We headed back to Disneyland.

We didn't get enough of toy story so we rode Buzz Lightyear...

Since this is no longer at WDW we rode Snow White. I actually liked this as a kid even though most don't, but I am not disappointed they closed it at WDW since the Mine ride does sound really fun. I do miss Mr. Toad's at WDW though!

Splash mountain seemed to have a lot more drops than at WDW and the last dropped seemed even more intense!

The Harbor Galley was a quiet spot to grab lunch - the loaded baked potatoes lived up to their name.

If you continue walking along the path there are some seats off the beaten path, the pirate ship was not operating while we were there. Neither were the Davy Crockett Canoes. A cast member told me these only operate on the weekends. Since they don't have everything operating or fireworks on weekdays the ticket price should be less for weekdays than weekends.

Tarzan's tree house had a crossover from Beauty and the Beast

The Tiki Room has always been a favorite of mine, so glad WDW has gone back to "original management"

yum...

The railroad is more interesting at Disneyland than at WDW, more sights and less about the transportation aspect.

according to HP paintings in the future will be replaced by tv screens. At least at Disneyland they weren't pretending the house of the future was green like the house at Epcot (which has the new electric toilet by Kohler).

Love the new Star Tours (this was the same as at Hollywood Studios)
Old 08-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #390
speedo
Mouseketeer

evening

We decided to see Star Trek that night at the movie theater in Downtown Disney. I am a Netflix person so going to the theater was actually a treat and this theater was really nice and empty!

It was weird seeing all the calories listed out everywhere - no wonder Minnie is thin in LA.

And that is the end of this two and half week vacation! Thank you so much for following along. It has been fun to share our trip with all of you!

We will sign off with the following...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: