Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #346
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandLsMom View Post
We can't afford yet of another $1000 for club level, and have a very hard time justifying spending this amount of $$$ for a "standard" view room that may be looking at some sort of construction. Very, very sad right now, as our heart was set on the Poly.
My thinking is that, on average, the "standard view" (previously "garden view") room views will be less affected by the construction than the premium view rooms (unless the room is facing the Tahiti or Rapa Nui longhouse).
Old 08-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #347
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

We just got back from the world on Sunday and just catching up on this thread.

FWIW, last week, after our breakfast at O'Hana, we asked to see one of the new refurbed rooms since we really want to try the Poly next August. While waiting, we chatted with one of the CM's and I started asking about all the reno's. The first CM acted like she knew nothing and said she hadn't heard about any construction plans (she really did seem clueless). Another CM came over to show us the room and as we started walking, he became very "chatty". I asked him about rumors of massive renovations and expressed concerns with booking the Poly for next year and he started sharing what he said he knew. He said that he knew for sure that the GCH will undergo a major renovation starting sometime this year saying there were plans for adding a new TS restaurant as well. I then asked where as space already seemed so limited, he just smiled and said "Oh, there's plenty of space in here for another restaurant". I then asked about the waterfall and mentioned how much I'd hate to see it go, and he replied that he was "most confident" that there would still be a waterfall, may not just be as large. I tried asking about DVC plans and all he said was that he knew there were plans but didn't know when this would happen...he also said something about poor sales of the GF DVC impacting the start date for Poly DVC. Is any of this true? Not sure, but we found it interesting. Of course, every time I tried to get a more definitive start date, he kept saying sometime this year. Not sure how much weight to put on his comments, but thought I'd share.
1997:Travelodge-DTD| 2005:ASMu| 2007:POP| 2009:CSR| 2010:AKL| 2011:BC CL| 2012:BC CL| 2013:BC CL| Oct. 2013:BC|Aug. 2014:GF| Oct. 2014: CR CL &YC CL| Dec. 2014: CSR| Jan 2015: CSR|Aug 2015: CR CL & Poly CL

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #348
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Well we know that the letters that have been sent out for Sept\Oct guest state GCH will not be under construction so it will have to be after that..

Good news about the restaurant I bet it's Trader SAMs also good news about a waterfall!
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #349
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
Well said!!! I do think its ridiculous that they haven't informed their guests or CMs.. I adore Disney and The Poly but for this they were obviously looking out for their bottom line instead of their guests! I check in next weekend at CL and have yet to hear any info from The Poly or Disney that I haven't specifically asked for. In fact had I not been here on DIS I wouldn't have known about any of the construction until I checked in. I have been able to prepare my husband for the wall that I here will be up infront of the Hawaii LH beach but if I hadn't they would have had one ticked off guest! Especially considering we just spent $5100 for this vacation!
As I just read your post I could totally relate to the need to prepare someone for the construction around the Poly.

I have to say I wanted to stay at the Poly for years but DH kept giving it the thumbs down as he is not big on the "tropical" theme. I finally convinced him to stay at the Poly this November then we decided to upgrade to CL when discounts we released but the Poly was not available for our dates so we switched to BWI a few days later Tikiman posted about the construction walls going up and I was very relieved we had changed resorts.

As bad as I wanted to stay at he Poly, having to see the Walls on my first stay at the Poly would have been a big downer, not to mention DH would have been upset to say the least.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #350
tiger4me2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well we know that the letters that have been sent out for Sept\Oct guest state GCH will not be under construction so it will have to be after that..

Good news about the restaurant I bet it's Trader SAMs also good news about a waterfall!
Funny I never got a letter or an email for my stay in Sept 11th. But good news just hoping the club level theme park view will okay.
tiger4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #351
Adlergray
Mouseketeer

We are staying the week of Oct 29th CL as well and they have not mentioned nor sent a letter about a thing to us.

Trips: '84 Poly,'86 Poly,'87 Poly, '88 GF,'92 GF, '95 Sports?,'97 YC, '99 Poly, '01 Poly, '02 Poly, '03 Poly, '01-'04 lived in area so too many trips to count, '05 Poly, Aug '11 YC, Oct '13 Poly, May '15 BC/Poly
Adlergray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #352
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2 View Post
We just got back from the world on Sunday and just catching up on this thread.

FWIW, last week, after our breakfast at O'Hana, we asked to see one of the new refurbed rooms since we really want to try the Poly next August. While waiting, we chatted with one of the CM's and I started asking about all the reno's. The first CM acted like she knew nothing and said she hadn't heard about any construction plans (she really did seem clueless). Another CM came over to show us the room and as we started walking, he became very "chatty". I asked him about rumors of massive renovations and expressed concerns with booking the Poly for next year and he started sharing what he said he knew. He said that he knew for sure that the GCH will undergo a major renovation starting sometime this year saying there were plans for adding a new TS restaurant as well. I then asked where as space already seemed so limited, he just smiled and said "Oh, there's plenty of space in here for another restaurant". I then asked about the waterfall and mentioned how much I'd hate to see it go, and he replied that he was "most confident" that there would still be a waterfall, may not just be as large. I tried asking about DVC plans and all he said was that he knew there were plans but didn't know when this would happen...he also said something about poor sales of the GF DVC impacting the start date for Poly DVC. Is any of this true? Not sure, but we found it interesting. Of course, every time I tried to get a more definitive start date, he kept saying sometime this year. Not sure how much weight to put on his comments, but thought I'd share.
Very interesting, thanks for the detective work and for sharing

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #353
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennygt View Post
Very interesting, thanks for the detective work and for sharing
Like I said, not sure how much of what he said is true but he had the oddest smirk on his face the entire time (like the kind where someone knows more than what they are saying type of smirk). In any case, after seeing the new refurbed rooms, we all agreed on booking the Poly for next August.
1997:Travelodge-DTD| 2005:ASMu| 2007:POP| 2009:CSR| 2010:AKL| 2011:BC CL| 2012:BC CL| 2013:BC CL| Oct. 2013:BC|Aug. 2014:GF| Oct. 2014: CR CL &YC CL| Dec. 2014: CSR| Jan 2015: CSR|Aug 2015: CR CL & Poly CL

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #354
JandLsMom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
Garden view is now called standard view. There is no garden view outside club level now.
Thanks, Steve, and others for clarifying this. When we stayed there in 2012, we had what was considered a "garden view" room, and we loved our views. Having a "standard view" room made me think we may get a parking lot view (or construction wall view), which would not be very desirable for us.

While I'm thinking of it, Steve, can you please explain the proposed construction blueprints that you've shared? I have no idea how to interpret it. Thanks in advance!
JandLsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #355
JandLsMom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasadchick View Post
Princess Half marathon weekend?
Yes, it's during that time that I was checking.
JandLsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:32 AM   #356
kungaloosh22
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
Actually the area that they will be working around Sunset Pointe will be directly in front of about half the lagoon side rooms of Hawaii so looking straight to the castle from those rooms you will be looking right through the proposed area for those bungalows, not just off to the right. I am sure they will change the category of those rooms and not charge theme park view prices so if you are booked in a TPV room you will have to be in one that is not affected by the construction.

See how WB1 area is right in front of Hawaii looking directly towards the castle.
Interesting. I assume WB stands for water bungalow. What do the AB, PB, and B markers indicate?
kungaloosh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:34 AM   #357
kungaloosh22
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I'm thrilled about Trader Sam's, but based on Tikiman's recent podcast, thought that will end up outside the GCH. Also, I think of that as a bar, not restaurant. I hope the new restaurant (if true) is for a signature restaurant. Isn't the Poly the only deluxe hotel without one?
kungaloosh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #358
gkrykewy
TTA PeopleMover Fan Club President

We have a standard room booked for late september and would really like a renovated room. Are the room renovations essentially complete, or is this something I should specifically request?

gkrykewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #359
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2 View Post
Like I said, not sure how much of what he said is true but he had the oddest smirk on his face the entire time (like the kind where someone knows more than what they are saying type of smirk). In any case, after seeing the new refurbed rooms, we all agreed on booking the Poly for next August.
That's when we are planning to go next year, if we go. Still have to work on dh, lol. This construction does not help my case at all, he loves the poly! As for the cm it will be interesting when this is all done to see if any of the cm,s were given accurate information.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #360
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrykewy View Post
We have a standard room booked for late september and would really like a renovated room. Are the room renovations essentially complete, or is this something I should specifically request?
You can request certain longhouse, I have not kept up but I think all but Tahiti are done? I am sure someone will post after me for sure, check tikimans site I know that info is there. I call and put the request on my reservation, I think you can also do it with online check in if you want. Or both! You could also request a certain request at the longhouse, like 3rd floor or close to elevator, stuff like that. You won't always get it but they do try if you ask, I think the key is to keep it simple, not too many things! Have a great trip! Be sure to report beck here what you see around the resort.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: