Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #16
amie416
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
so...you kinda wanted a photo too? like all the others wanting a photo? or you took the picture to prove the OP's point?
Are you genuinely curious or just hating?
Old 08-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #17
Odelay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Katherine View Post
I've never done this, is this not allowed?

If its not then, maybe these people are just trying to make memories.

Katie

Making memories and photographing objects is not the same thing.
Odelay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #18
freckles04
DIS Veteran

This thread reminds me of a picture I saw comparing the announcement of the new Pope in 2005 and in 2013.

I think it's sad, myself. I sat behind a woman at Fantasmic who watched the entire thing through her tiny little camera screen. What a waste! You can find videos of Fantasmic online. Why not enjoy being there in the moment? To each their own I guess? It is a bit distracting during shows and such to others, though. Especially folks who hold up a whole dang iPad. lol.
MAY 1994: CBR AUG 2012: POP OCT 2013: POR JAN 2014: POP OCT 2014: POP

freckles04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
scuba
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amie416 View Post
Are you genuinely curious or just hating?
genuinely curious, you snapped a photo of the same thing that everyone else was photographing. Did the same thing that drove the folks in the crowd also drive you to snap the same photo? It is inherently human to want to create memories with photos, we all want so much to be apart and taking photos creates that for some. This thread was a hot topic from the start and to me the OP implied TO ME that she was in disagreement of living one's live always through a lens, you agreed to an extent to the OPs opinion I THINK but then posted a picture that you took? did you miss the same moment as well taking the same picture? Just saying and really not hating...really
scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #20
scuba
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelay View Post
Making memories and photographing objects is not the same thing.
Photography is simply a tool for making memories
Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #21
Odelay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
Photography is simply a tool for making memories
Having fun and simply enjoying your surroundings is an even better tool. People rarely reminisce about the the time they stopped and took dozens of pictures.
Odelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #22
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

I hate taking pictures. I really do. It's a hassle and I prefer to actual witness the moment through my eyes and not the screen/lens/viewfinder. Probably because I was a professional photog for so many years that when I was on vacation the last thing I wanted was a dang camera in front of me.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #23
Viva Las Disney
DIS Veteran

I love taking photos but kind of agree with the OP as far as video is concerned.

For example, there are dozens of great videos of Wishes online that my little point and click camera or my cellphone camera couldn't possibly compare to so I will take a couple (flash free) pictures to remember the moment but see no reason to take a video, if I had kids I'd totally take video of my kids reaction to Wishes though.

I don't really get bothered by the small LCD screens on cameras and phones but find the tablet screens distracting.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #24
scuba
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Having fun and simply enjoying your surroundings is an even better tool. People rarely reminisce about the the time they stopped and took dozens of pictures.
I respectfully disagree, to an extent. You are right no one remembers the time they stopped and took dozens of pictures, but I cannot remember every detail from every trip, can you? HOWEVER folks do remember the places they have visited after seeing the pictures. I happen to believe our views are the same, my guess is you have snapped a few photos from time to time, there HAVE been times where my wife or I for that matter has told the other to put down the camera. As the OP pointed out there are some people out there that do in fact need to step out from behind the lens. Some of my greatest family time is sitting around my parents home digging through all the old pictures my Grandparents collected in old albums and boxes. Great times!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #25
angierae
DIS Veteran

While I do agree that video of certain things is useless when there are much better, more professional videos of it out there, I will defend to the end of time my taking of pictures of my family while on vacation.

Having lost both parents by 25, as well as many other close family members, while yes, I do have memories, I treasure every photo I have of my parents. They are comforting. So I will take pictures of my daughter while we are at Disney, and I will take many of them. I am not NOT making memories. I am making sure I have something tangible to remind me of those memories.

10-2013 - Pop Century / 4-2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 5-2010 - Pop Century
angierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #26
JeanfromBNA
"Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!"

Reminds me of WALL-E.

1995 Disney Institute Treehouses 2005 Wilderness Lodge 2007 Yacht Club 2008 Coronado Springs 2008 Beach Club 2009 Grand Floridian 2009 Disney Wonder
2009 Disney Wonder 2009 Polynesian Resort 2011 Coronado Springs 2011 Portofino Bay Hotel UO 2012 Old Key West October, 2012, Proud new DVC AKL Kidani owners!May, 2013 Disney DreamSeptember, 2013 AulaniMarch, 2014 BWV October, 2014 AKV
JeanfromBNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #27
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I quit taking a camera when we go to WDW. I got tired of lugging the thing around plus I don't take great pictures. Also most things never change except for the people I care about and I can take pictures of them anywhere.

But to each their own. As long as you don't blind me in some way, I don't care if you walk around with a camera attached to your face.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #28
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Having fun and enjoying your surrounding is great...but sometimes having fun is taking pictures. I remember lots of really fun occasions of taking dozens of pictures. LOL. Sometimes that IS the fun. Taking pictures can be the difference between merely observing your surroundings and taking part in your surroundings. Silly poses, having fun trying to get the best picture, looking through your pictures at the end of the day are all tons of fun.

I will agree that looking in your little screen the whole time would be sad because you would miss out. But if you are taking a minute or two for pictures that is not missing anything.

Also, I think a lot time that people are recording shows, they are not looking into the screen most of that time. I don't know. I personally just benefit from them missing the ride or show by watching it on youtube. But someone has to record it first to put it up!
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #29
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanfromBNA View Post
Reminds me of WALL-E.
I had that thought too. It especially makes me think of the woman who says "we have a pool." LOL.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #30
collegejunkie
DIS Veteran

i have pretty much stopped taking pictures at disney. when we meet new characters or see something new, i use my phone instead of my camera. i don't take pictures of shows or parades or fireworks. i used to be so careful and wanted to capture everything, but the shows haven't really changed from year to year and i enjoy the moment so much more not worrying about it. there are thousands and thousands of photos and videos of the same things i'm seeing online

collegejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: